Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 PM

16 posts, read 99,399 times

Advertisements

It's been exactly one year since I moved here from NY, and well I've honestly never heard a gunshot before until I moved here and it's really starting to freak me out. I keep hearing gunshots either around the back area of my House or far up ahead. Am about 4 miles away from the city and just now I heard 4 gun shots...I'm starting to miss NY. Do people around this area carry more guns or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
Well that is funny you should ask, Squibroll22. I have been here a year myself and just this last week have heard gunshots when I'm weeding in my yard around 9:00 am. I searched my area before moving in and found no ranges, so I'm wondering what this could be. Can homeowners with gun permits just shoot randomly??? (I live in S. Charlottte off Johnston)

Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,103 times
Not that I want you to go check, but...are you sure that's what you're hearing?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibyroll22 View Post
It's been exactly one year since I moved here from NY, and well I've honestly never heard a gunshot before until I moved here and it's really starting to freak me out. I keep hearing gunshots either around the back area of my House or far up ahead. Am about 4 miles away from the city and just now I heard 4 gun shots...I'm starting to miss NY. Do people around this area carry more guns or something?
Where in the city are you living??? This is not normal and I've never had this experience.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Hi Loves,
Yup, heard them several mornings, around 9:00 am since the kids went back to school. I was going to call 311. You know where I live. Is there a range here that I missed when researching the area???
TIA, Dori

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Hi Loves,
Yup, heard them several mornings, around 9:00 am since the kids went back to school. I was going to call 311. You know where I live. Is there a range here that I missed when researching the area???
TIA, Dori
I can't think of one Dori - but you are so close to the county line there may be something I'm just not aware of. In the city limits this would be illegal outside. Let me ask around...

Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
It is Dove Season

Next week October 13th
it is Western Deer
Squirrel Season
Grouse
Bobcat
Western Bear
Opossum
Racoon
Skunk

Currently
Oct. 1 – Mar. 31
No limits.
This applies to domestically raised birds (mallard ducks and
upland game birds) only.
No wild turkey may be taken.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/...ason_Dates.pdf

A couple of weeks ago I was near Jordan Lake and it has some beautiful trails that I decided to walk on.
I was probably about 30 minutes deep into the woods from the parking lot.
I then heard gun fire.
So I froze like a deer except I duck low.
I thought oh crap I forgot this is use as state game land
Then I started hiking back up and I heard some more gun fire.
OUt of quick reaction not knowing what to do I started
to bark like a dog I went....
Woof, Woof, Ruff, Ruff
My thinking was a human will shoot a human but not a dog then I high tailed it out of there

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-01-2008 at 10:55 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 PM

By my deffinition, my husband qualifies as a domestically raised bird. (DoDo) When can I shoot him???????
Just kiddin, I love that man

Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
By my deffinition, my husband qualifies as a domestically raised bird. (DoDo) When can I shoot him???????
Just kiddin, I love that man
It will be awhile before it wild turkey season

Old 10-01-2008, 11:30 PM

16 posts, read 99,399 times
Ok I understand that it's Hunting season and all but I mostly hear these gunshots around night time like after 10pm and even before the 1st of October, does this mean that there is no time limit or something? I'm very sorry that happened to you Sunnykayak but am glad to hear you were not hurt. As for where I live it's near South Blvd and Archdale. Another thing, I pretty much found out what gunshots sound like thanks to this really drunk man who was shooting bullets up at the sky during 4th of July...that was pretty stupid of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte