Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times

Advertisements

I hear gunshots in my neighborhood on the fourth of July & Christmas. The same people shoot off fireworks too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,275 times
I'm very curious about the actual gunshots. are they dueling shots, where it sounds like they're coming from different locations (people actually shooting at each other, yikes!), do you hear around 10 consecutive shots followed by at least a few minutes of no shooting (pistol target practice), do you hear one or two loud blasts followed by a pause (patterning a shotgun)?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I hear gunshots in my neighborhood on the fourth of July & Christmas. The same people shoot off fireworks too.

This is what most people do in Cherryville

Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
Great smiley!!!! I would say a couple in a row?? Almost like hunting......

Old 10-02-2008, 06:02 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Default Same Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibyroll22 View Post
It's been exactly one year since I moved here from NY, and well I've honestly never heard a gunshot before until I moved here and it's really starting to freak me out. I keep hearing gunshots either around the back area of my House or far up ahead. Am about 4 miles away from the city and just now I heard 4 gun shots...I'm starting to miss NY. Do people around this area carry more guns or something?
I remember that! Coming from Chicago, when I first moved here and heard gunshots, I hit the deck. Nothing like an impending massacre in your new home!!! .....but, then, I found out, people just like to shoot off their guns for no apparent reason.

However, I have been advised by my community police dept to ALWAYS call 911 at the first sound of a gunshot as this is supposedly illegal within the city limits. If you keep on calling them, the gunshots will stop. I know. I have done it. And, actually caught some criminals in the process. You don't have to give your name, you do not have to actually speak to the officers when they go out there, so, nobody needs to know that it was you.

Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:09 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibyroll22 View Post
Ok I understand that it's Hunting season and all but I mostly hear these gunshots around night time like after 10pm and even before the 1st of October, does this mean that there is no time limit or something? I'm very sorry that happened to you Sunnykayak but am glad to hear you were not hurt. As for where I live it's near South Blvd and Archdale. Another thing, I pretty much found out what gunshots sound like thanks to this really drunk man who was shooting bullets up at the sky during 4th of July...that was pretty stupid of him.
The police training facility/shooting range is off of Tryon south of Tyvola. When traffic is not as heavy,there is a chance that is what you could be hearing. When I worked near the farmer's market we could hear them all the time (but that was more like 50 people doing it at once).

Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
... Can homeowners with gun permits just shoot randomly??? (I live in S. Charlottte off Johnston)
Absolutely not...in fact, those with Concealed Carry Permits would be the last people on earth to go outside "randomly" shooting (seeing as though they are the more responsible gun owners who take the care and time to go get licensed and learn the local laws). In the vast majority of incorporated cities across the country, it is illegal to discharge firearms and airguns within the city limits.

All that said, remember that the city limits bob-weave-and-duck-in-and-out all over the place (they don't go in straight lines)...so if you're anywhere near the line near unincorporated county, you could very well be hearing someone on private property hunting or target shooting which would be perfectly legal.

As previously mentioned, you may not be hearing gunshots. The average Joe (or Joe-ette) out there does not know the exact sound of a gunshot and will tend to generalize and loud pop as a "gunshot." I am familiar with the sound of a gun, but still catch myself wondering if that noise I just heard was in fact one or not. Some commonly mistaken noises:
  • car backfire
  • fireworks
  • dump trucks slamming their tailgate after dumping a load of dirt
  • powerline transformer blowing/tripping (much more common than you think)
  • construction work such as the use of a nail set (actually uses a "blank" bullet shell to drive nails, so it sounds exactly like a gun)
I'm not saying they can't be gunshots, just saying the vast majority of the time, it's mistaken identity! And on a serious note, this is a touchy subject. Certainly don't ever compromise your or your neighborhood's safety by not investigating and reporting suspicious activity, but do be careful if/when you call the police to report what you thought were gunshots. Valuable resources could be wasted searching for some kid playing with firecrackers or a smoking power transformer!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
OK, thanks for the info. I'll ask some of my neighbors if they've heard anything. There is construction going on all around me, but I'm familiar with ALL their sounds. I've heard gunshots in the woods from hunters before and that is what it sounds like to me..Who knows???

Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Have lived in this house six years and have never heard a gunshot. If I did, I would be very very concerned. Sadly, about 20 years ago, I heard what I thought was a gun shot and the neighbor who lived behind me had ended his life.

I am a native and own firearms - and my neighbors always have, as well - and if I ever heard a gun shot, I would immediately assume there would be a problem w/ an intruder . . . But as far as random gun shots . . . nope. Never have heard that except out in the country during hunting season.

Definitely call PD if you think you have heard gun shots. Someone could be in trouble.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 AM

16 posts, read 99,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
do you hear around 10 consecutive shots followed by at least a few minutes of no shooting (pistol target practice), do you hear one or two loud blasts followed by a pause (patterning a shotgun)?
No it's more like 7 to 8 shots followed by a car engine running fast, no pause either. Plus during night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgirl98 View Post
The police training facility/shooting range is off of Tryon south of Tyvola. When traffic is not as heavy,there is a chance that is what you could be hearing. When I worked near the farmer's market we could hear them all the time (but that was more like 50 people doing it at once).
I know plenty of Farmers Markets and trust me they're not coming from there since I live on I-77 EXIT-4 Nations Ford. Besides why would they be shooting at a time that we are all sleeping or at least trying to?!!! BTW I already know what gunshots sound like since I hear them coming from different parts of where I live. I've even asked my neighbors if they've heard the same and most of them have as well so I'm not the only one here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte