Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 PM
vbg vbg started this thread

35 posts, read 109,747 times

Advertisements

Hi! I always checked this forum in order to find nice place for hiking around Charlotte.

But now I need advice in the following situation. At the end of August our
son was sick. He was 8 month old, and it was his first sickness in his
life. Some kind of viral infection with very high body temperature 104 F
for several days. His pediatrician said - Just stay at home, measure
temperature, give him Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours. And we lived in
Doral/Cavalier Apartments. Yes. Tropical storm Fay made record rainfall
that night. We were evacuated in rubber boats. It was 5 am, fireman
asked my wife - Would you like to go to Presbyterian Hospital, since you
have ill baby and red cross shelter is not suitable place for him. And
she answered - Yes! (What a mistake! I was still in flooded
apartment...) They took my wife, baby and our grandma to Presbyterian
Hospital in children's emergency room in emergency vehicle. They wait
for one hour, then measured temperature, gave him Motrin, said that we
should follow advice from our pediatrician. After that we called our
friend, and went to her house in cab.

But this is not end of story. As result, we received two bills: $750
from emergency room, $800 from emergency vehicle. Wow! Actually, my wife thought it was a shelter in Presbyterian Hospital...

So guys, I need you advice. May be we can speak with somebody in
Presbyterian Hospital. I actually called to the hospital but they
redirect me to billing department manager - of course, she just wants
money at all costs. May be there is some top official or director with
whom we can speak and explain the situation. Like in UNCC if something
happens I always can schedule appointment with my Department Head or even President of UNCC.

You should agree it was unusual situation. Red Cross worked hard in
order to help people. Firemen made excellent job (Thank you Guys!) to
evacuate everybody from flooded zone. Professionally and free! But
Presbyterian Hospital measured temperature in my child's bottom and
asked for this procedure $1500. Dirty shame!

So, any advice? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times
A lot of our medical expenses are out of pocket. The expenses are more than the average family can afford. I know that when I was hospitalized at CMC last year, I cut out anything that was unnecessary. I knew we were already headed toward sticker shock.

What I have found is that medical bills are highly negotiable. There are usually discounts of anywhere from 20-40% if you are paying cash. And payment plans are readily offered to settle accounts too.

Are you challenging the entire bill or portions of it?

I'd talk to a patient liaison and that person should be able to direct you to whomever in management can assist you. Don't panic. I'm sure you'll be able to get it resolved.

Sara

Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
MAny hospitals will reduce bill by 25% if you pay with a credit card on that day. Ask! It can't hurt.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
You have received good advice. Were you somehow under the impression that PD was offering you transport to the hospital and free medical care once you got there? That just ain't gonna happen! But you need to relay this to the patient rep and you need to ask to speak to his/her superior and go up the chain to see who can help you reduce or negotiate your bill. Nothing will happen unless you speak up as your own advocate. And yes, most bills can be reduced by at least 25% right off the top.

Also, if no one is helping you , ask to speak to the Medical Social Worker. He/she is trained to help w/ finding alternative sources of funding if you do not have insurance or can qualify for other sources of financial assistance.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 AM
vbg vbg started this thread

35 posts, read 109,747 times
Thank you! We will try something.

"Are you challenging the entire bill or portions of it?" The baby has health insurance, so we will wait and see what they will cover. And, of course, we will pay, but this all situation is nonsense. It would never happen in France, Germany, or UK. How it is possible to help people during disaster and then ask for money. Not even this - they actually did not do anything: thermometer + motrin! And we even did not call for their help. For me it's ok, but my wife is very upset. It is much better to spend this money for new toys or organic food for little man (this is his pic!)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/gantovnik/SORbvllEttI/AAAAAAAAATQ/6pgYfk8Y32w/s800/DSC_4632a.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 AM

120 posts, read 325,274 times
I have no help to give you but I couldn't pass up such a beautiful baby without saying so. He looks so happy and sweet. Good luck to you!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:42 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbg View Post
Thank you! We will try something.

"Are you challenging the entire bill or portions of it?" The baby has health insurance, so we will wait and see what they will cover. And, of course, we will pay, but this all situation is nonsense. It would never happen in France, Germany, or UK. How it is possible to help people during disaster and then ask for money. Not even this - they actually did not do anything: thermometer + motrin! And we even did not call for their help. For me it's ok, but my wife is very upset. It is much better to spend this money for new toys or organic food for little man (this is his pic!)
What a gorgeous baby! A pleasant surprise to see his face upon returning to this thread.

I understand your frustration. And I wish the best to you all.

Contact the patient liaison and/or the hospital's social worker. You will get the help/guidance you need.

Good luck!

Sara

Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
What a cutie pie!!!! Hope you get things worked out. Just remember: you walk into an ER, no matter WHAT the reason (carted in on a gurney after a car wreck) - that bill is not charity! You or your insurance will pay. Be persistent w/ the hospital as well as your insurance company. It is a hassle, yes, but you can get this straightened out.

And glad to see your sweet fellah is doing better!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
It sounds to me like you weren't given enough info to make a good decision. With everyone else being evacuated for free to a free shelter, you were given a special choice due to the baby. Reading your story and putting myself in your shoes, I'd have assumed it was the same everyone else was getting: free. That's where my beef would be.

People think that you should already know the costs associated with riding in an ambulance and visiting a hospital. Well what if you've never done either? That's not common knowledge to have and it's very unfair to assume someone knows that already.

Did you sign something at the hospital that says you'll agree to pay such-and-such amount or that you're responsible for all charges?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,416 times
What a beautiful baby! Since your baby does have health insurance (very smart on your part!), I would also call the insurance company and explain the circumstances. Since you didn't seem to have an option other than transport to the hospital, maybe they will cover that. And they should cover most of the ER visit (usually less a co-pay and/or deductible). If they say they won't pay, don't take no for an answer! Ask for a supervisor. And, can you get documentation that the emergency workers who helped you recommended that you go to the hospital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: