Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times

Advertisements

As 1st time homebuyers we didn't know the value of home with an already fenced yard, or that we would regret not having a garage.

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:39 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
First, I have to say that I love my house. I love the way that it is laid out, I love everything about it except:

1. it is located in a HOA (really would never, ever live in one again)
2. it is in a subdivision (see above)
3. there is no basement
4. the garage is too small
5. the location is iffy...only because the neighbourhood is going downhill...and, you would have to walk at least a couple of miles just to get to the subdivision entrance...let alone to the nearest public transportation facility.

If I could pick up my house and move it somewhere else, I would be a happy camper

But, this is my forever house and I have put too much money into it to sell (wouldn't get my money out of it in this neighbourhood). So, here I will be.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
As 1st time homebuyers we didn't know the value of home with an already fenced yard, or that we would regret not having a garage.

Sara
Oh yes . . . those fences can be valuable! And a garage, too. Now some people compromise w/ a carport that works for them, but depending on your lot, that is not always possible.

That is one of the nice things about finding a home where the previous owner has made some upgrades . . . like fencing! I hope others will think about that when they read your post . . . I would rather have a re-sale w/ some fencing and mature landscaping than a new one w/o those things. We have some great houses here in the CLT area that are re-sales - and having fencing and some landscaping that has been added . . . and are only a few years old.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh yes . . . those fences can be valuable! And a garage, too. Now some people compromise w/ a carport that works for them, but depending on your lot, that is not always possible.

That is one of the nice things about finding a home where the previous owner has made some upgrades . . . like fencing! I hope others will think about that when they read your post . . . I would rather have a re-sale w/ some fencing and mature landscaping than a new one w/o those things. We have some great houses here in the CLT area that are re-sales - and having fencing and some landscaping that has been added . . . and are only a few years old.
You know, our home was a resale, which is why I fell in love! The newer homes and smaller lots and HOAs just don't do it for me! I loved the fact that we didn't have to pay for the upgrades the previous owner did like custom blinds, beautiful light fixtures, etc. But fencing? Who knew! (We didn't .) We have a bit of acreage and the 1st time someone came out with an estimate, I knew it was a fantasy. LOL. And our shed is stuffed to the gills. Next time .... .

Sara

Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 PM

285 posts, read 1,020,300 times
My home is in a cul-de-sac and has a side load garage. Looks great from the street. However, it has two doors instead of one large one. It is impossible to turn into the garage driving forward. The only way to get a car in the garage is to back in! That is extremely difficult while making a turn and having only an 8 foot wide door. My next house, I will really pay attention to the garage. As it is, this garage is worthless to us. And changing it would require major structural work that is cost prohibitive. All, this in a $300K+ house. Ugh.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
My home is in a cul-de-sac and has a side load garage. Looks great from the street. However, it has two doors instead of one large one. It is impossible to turn into the garage driving forward. The only way to get a car in the garage is to back in! That is extremely difficult while making a turn and having only an 8 foot wide door. My next house, I will really pay attention to the garage. As it is, this garage is worthless to us. And changing it would require major structural work that is cost prohibitive. All, this in a $300K+ house. Ugh.
Oh, wow. Our last house had a side-entry garage and we loved it but no problem w/ entry. I can only imagine how frustrating that is! I would never have thought about that being a hassle, so I am glad you mentioned it.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
You know, our home was a resale, which is why I fell in love! The newer homes and smaller lots and HOAs just don't do it for me! I loved the fact that we didn't have to pay for the upgrades the previous owner did like custom blinds, beautiful light fixtures, etc. But fencing? Who knew! (We didn't .) We have a bit of acreage and the 1st time someone came out with an estimate, I knew it was a fantasy. LOL. And our shed is stuffed to the gills. Next time .... .

Sara
Well, there is always the DIY route . . . get post hole diggers and have at it!!! LOL!

Or . . . decide on a much smaller area to be fenced in right at your house . . . if you need it for children and/or pets . . . Fencing can be quite expensive!!!!

I need a shed, too but those are not cheap, either.

Home ownership can be an expensive proposition!!!! When DH and I were younger and had better backs, we did it all ourselves. That is getting harder and harder!!!! Bad backs . . . no way we would want to tackle those post hole diggers again!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
First, I have to say that I love my house. I love the way that it is laid out, I love everything about it except:

1. it is located in a HOA (really would never, ever live in one again)
2. it is in a subdivision (see above)
3. there is no basement
4. the garage is too small
5. the location is iffy...only because the neighbourhood is going downhill...and, you would have to walk at least a couple of miles just to get to the subdivision entrance...let alone to the nearest public transportation facility.

If I could pick up my house and move it somewhere else, I would be a happy camper

But, this is my forever house and I have put too much money into it to sell (wouldn't get my money out of it in this neighbourhood). So, here I will be.
HOA can be a pain or a plus. As for basements . . .I wish every home here had one!!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,835 times
This is a great thread, Ani. DH and I are buying our first home soon... and it is great to hear what others wish they would have considered when they were in our shoes.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
Default I need help here

please i will need help out there in the U.S by all means.i will like to let everybody to know to know out there i just had my advance level over here in cameroon and will like to continue over in the U.S because i love their studies so much and more to that i will like to move out so i can see how the world looks like.please mail me at [email]collinsjena@yahoo.com[/email] if you have anything for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte