Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:53 PM

13 posts, read 33,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As gas prices increase, there is a greater need for an alternative method of transportation. The North Corridor commuter train, which is supposed to run from Center City Charlotte to Mooresville in southern Iredell County, should help solve this problem.
The North Corridor Purple Line – Coming 2012*|*LKN Social Portal

This should relieve some of the traffic on rt 77. The only thing I don't understand is why it won't run on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,581,408 times
Weekend ridership of the bus line to Uptown is very weak on the weekends as stated in that article special consideration will be consider for special events.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 33,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Weekend ridership of the bus line to Uptown is very weak on the weekends as stated in that article special consideration will be consider for special events.
I took that as "Race Weekends."

It would be nice if they offered certain Fridays or Saturdays once or twice a month where the train would run until 2:30 or so. That way people from Charlotte could check out the Lake bars and vice versa.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,581,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNormanSocial View Post
I took that as "Race Weekends."

It would be nice if they offered certain Fridays or Saturdays once or twice a month where the train would run until 2:30 or so. That way people from Charlotte could check out the Lake bars and vice versa.
The lake isnt by the line nor within in reasonable walking distance except maybe Davidson.

What would prevent them from doing it now in a car that would be alot faster?

Race weekends? Have you attrended one? They are not in uptown nor plans to go to LMS

Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 AM

755 posts, read 2,495,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNormanSocial View Post
This should relieve some of the traffic on rt 77.
It won't. Nor is it designed to relieve traffic. There's been no traffic relief as a result of the blue line.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,471,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
It won't. Nor is it designed to relieve traffic. There's been no traffic relief as a result of the blue line.
The purple line has more of a direct pattern or relationship with I-77...not to mention, the cities and towns north of us are playing ball with wanting to partner and bring the train their way (for now). The idiotic move by Pineville to not get on board with the blue line is in part a large reason there is not much noticable relief on I-77 south.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,870,834 times
Quote:
Not true. There's been at least a 4% reduction in traffic along South Blvd. Have to say though, that I really believe that number to be low. Ridership is at 16000 trips a day- nearly what they expected it to be 7 years from now! Obviously whoever predicted ridership for the blue line slipped up- as is possibly the case for the Purple line. Seems that anything UNCC puts it's hands in is really pretty inaccurate (which is what happens when you have a vocal opponent in charge of gathering/disseminating data)!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:19 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,995,668 times
I think it would be a great idea to have a station near at the speedway. The traffic in that area on race weekends as well as AutoFair is unbelievably bad. But I guess the plan right now is to relieve congestion rather than putting stations in where people want to go.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 AM

63 posts, read 257,931 times
i was a little disappointed when i found out the purple line would be a commuter rail and not light rail as i would love to be able to take it in to uptown on the weekends.

Quote:
I think it would be a great idea to have a station near at the speedway. The traffic in that area on race weekends as well as AutoFair is unbelievably bad. But I guess the plan right now is to relieve congestion rather than putting stations in where people want to go.
the blue line extension will go from uptown to UNCC. i think that bruton should extend that to the track and pay the difference. people in town for the races can hop on it to uptown to visit the NASCAR HOF and maybe check out uptown as well.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,702,479 times
Quote:

Close to 18,000 people ride the blue line every day, I'm one of those. Of course there is relieve in traffic. That's 18,000 less cars in the roads heading to Uptown from South Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte