Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:58 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times

Advertisements

Your welcome We do everything from commercial multi-family carpentry, office/retail up-fits to residential remodeling. We are tiny fish in the big pond

Off the top of my head I'm not familiar with CSI but my DH probably is, I'll have to ask him. You can do well here if you get the right network going, beat the bushes and pass out cards everywhere you go. Be willing to take small jobs because often they lead to bigger ones.

I think Charlotte has a pretty good economy overall and hasn't been hit as hard as other areas around the nation. Once the credit markets loosen up again we should see more work flowing. Right now people seem to be in "wait and see" mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagotoTampagirl View Post
Hey

I am in complete agreement w/ those of you who live in Charlotte and are giving great, candid advice to folk who are inquiring about moving there, jobs, housing market, ect. Most of the things said I agree w/ 100%. I don't think it is wise to ever relocate to a different state w/o having employment 1st, who would? it just seems a bit presumptious and condescending to think that people (like those of us who want to relocate to Charlotte)would be that lacking in the brain dept....... just my 2 centavos.

I really just wanted a particular final question answered, and wanted to get a "feel" for the people of that particular city.... seems a bit cold to encourage people like me in bold red letters to NOT COME-we have work. the responses here are good to see, if for anything to gauge the reception that newcomers receive.

Charlotte is a great city to live in - beautiful, clean, friendly. Newcomers are treated better here than many other places in the country you could choose to relocate to. You just need to try to understand, we post here every day, some of us for over 2 years now, and we too often have to deal with people who just won't believe how tight our job market it. They just can't believe there won't be jobs in "their" field. So we stress the situation to them as a warning because we don't want to see people come here and find this info out first hand if possible. When that happens, folks are miserable and turn around and bad mouth our beloved city just so they don't have to put the responsibility where it really belongs - on themselves. We are trying to help newcomers here - even if what we say is sometimes discouraging to hear.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM

ps - did you read the sticky above??

Anyone thinking about moving here . . .

Old 10-15-2008, 01:56 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Don't listen to this loves person! They only have one green dot of reputation!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Don't listen to this loves person! They only have one green dot of reputation!
Hey wow, I just noticed that!! I got my first star

Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM

23 posts, read 46,349 times
Default That is right!

Hey Steve

mucho thanks for the reply...I am glad to have found this site, we have been wracking our brains trying and praying to find the right place for us to relocate our family to...

Charlotte keeps resurfacing - even after traveling to great places like San Antonio,/Austin Tx, and Colorado Springs, Co., Harrisonburg, Va...we are not ready yet, but getting close to a final decision and having the ability to research like this helps us to get closer to our goal. My dh is from San Diego, but we can't afford it, or I'd be there in a heartbeat!!

I was involved in real estate development for many years here in SF, and am sooo over dealing w/ unscrupulous so called professionals, esp. down here-I know you can relate to this terrible market down here. When I hear people complaining about where they live, I sometimes laugh out loud, nothing can compare to living in "permanent vacation land" and still be in touch w/ reality!! and still own a biz and your home!

By my guestimate-SW Florida has been in a recession for a few years now, and by the grace of God, we are still doing well! We bought 7 years ago @ a great price, and did not re-fi up the yin yang, and are in good shape equity wise. Unfortunately, things are not improving-so we have to relocate in order to maintain our sanity and pocketbook. We are very very ready to get out of here! I plan to purchase a fixer upper, older home. all I need is a roof and a functioning bathroom for the 1st 6 months! LOL

Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM

23 posts, read 46,349 times
Hello

Lovesmountians, I spent many years vacationing w/ family in and around Charlotte...am very familiar w/ the area and the people. I was reacting to a thread that seemed to scream out "hey dummies" to me at least. I can't speak for anyone else.

I am prepared to hustle, as scarlett suggested-it is all we know how to do-have been in "survivor" mode for a few years now, and altho I will miss my State, am ready to leave because it is not the unique, wonderful place it used to be years ago. I can't understand why anyone would badmouth that area where you are at. I guess to each his own.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Hello

Lovesmountians, I spent many years vacationing w/ family in and around Charlotte...am very familiar w/ the area and the people. I was reacting to a thread that seemed to scream out "hey dummies" to me at least. I can't speak for anyone else.

I am prepared to hustle, as scarlett suggested-it is all we know how to do-have been in "survivor" mode for a few years now, and altho I will miss my State, am ready to leave because it is not the unique, wonderful place it used to be years ago. I can't understand why anyone would badmouth that area where you are at. I guess to each his own.
Sorry if you got the impression anyone was screaming "hey dummies!" in your direction. I can assure you that is not our MO around here and that impression was not the one anyone meant to convey

Old 10-15-2008, 06:50 PM

72 posts, read 238,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
The housing bubble never really hit here. If anything, folks like myself who came from bubbled areas (Central Florida) and were numbed to higher prices might have brought traces of it with us in terms of willingness to pay a little higher than a local. But otherwise, there were no 100-300% inflations here as far as know...and if there were, it was not widespread like FL.

The economy here is touted as diverse. Something like 300 of the Fortune 500 companies call this region home which gives a small example of the diversity. Although, we are the nation's second largest banking capital, and since the economy stuff making the news today is centered around banking, it is causing ripples. My personal opinion is that we will weather everything just fine, especially if the Wells Fargo-Wachovia deal goes through and they live up to their promises of not having massive layoffs (which the Citi deal would have brought to the area).

I would not listen to any reports about the housing market that say it's changed direction. It's not necessarily bad (no where near as bad as FL is and will be for a long time), but it's certainly not warming up. In my opinion, these reports are generated by folks who have a very biased interest in the topic (i.e. realtors, brokers, and mortgage folks) who are trying to drum up business. I say this since I routinely get emails from those folks with self-written articles/blogs about how great things are looking and that it's a great time to buy and the market is starting to run. That's not fair reporting if you ask me.
Actually, 325 Fortune 500 companies "have made a commitment to the city by placing one or more of their facilities within the county." (direct quote from Charlotte Chamber). There are 8 headquartered here, just to clear up any confusion.

Charlotte was fairly well sheltered from the housing bubble burst for a while, however, home prices are finally starting to decline here. That's been all over the news for a while, a simply internet search will reveal that. The construction market, you want to know? Ok, I work for a construction equipment company here in Charlotte, and almost 2 dozen people were laid off two days ago. There will be more, so each day I have to worry about my job. We are not doing well because we sell/rent equipment to people/organizations DOING CONSTRUCTION! And that is wayyy down, so therefore WE suffer. Several downtown construction projects, such as condo buildings, have been abandoned or postponed, etc. Things are definitely taking a hit. Plus, the banking industry will be hit hard with Wachovia going away, even though Wells Fargo is much better than Citi, it will still mean layoffs for the city.

Come here if you like, but don't be surprised if you can't find work in Construction. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Hey

I am in complete agreement w/ those of you who live in Charlotte and are giving great, candid advice to folk who are inquiring about moving there, jobs, housing market, ect. Most of the things said I agree w/ 100%. I don't think it is wise to ever relocate to a different state w/o having employment 1st, who would? it just seems a bit presumptious and condescending to think that people (like those of us who want to relocate to Charlotte)would be that lacking in the brain dept....... just my 2 centavos.

I really just wanted a particular final question answered, and wanted to get a "feel" for the people of that particular city.... seems a bit cold to encourage people like me in bold red letters to NOT COME-we have work. the responses here are good to see, if for anything to gauge the reception that newcomers receive.
We would love to have you here. Just be realistic about the situation in our region, as many of us are either out of work, or are business owners w/ declining sales, or have had our hours cut back, or know neighbors and friends who are out of work . . .

We are trying to give you solid info to help you weigh out whether you have the resources to take a risk and come here w/o work lined up. Only you can make that judgment - you know how much money you have to live on if you can't find work for six months or longer.

We continually have people tell us they are coming here w/ no job . . . read back over the last year's threads! You will see how many times people show up assuming they can find work or start a business . . . with disastrous results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte