Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times

Advertisements

I got on the subject of superstitions with a friend of mine that runs a business in Charlotte having to do with interior decorating. One of her superstitions revovles around something real crazy. It seems a few years ago as she was leaving the office one Fri. nite the phone rings. It's a call from a client she recently gave an estimate to. She went to her metal file cabinet where she keeps her project papers and estimates. In her haste she accidently slammed the draw on her thumb. It really hurt and the thumb turned black. The good part is she got one of the biggest projects she ever got. So now, anytime anyone calls her to review a previously given estimate she first GENTLY puts her thumb in the cabinet drawer, gives it a little squeze before pulling out the estimate for good luck.

I have a thing about clicking glasses in a toast. I never click with someone that is holding their glass with their LEFT hand. Don't remember when or why this started but I can't remember not doing it.

And you?? What are your superstitions? Anything related to CLT or the south by chance?
je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Well, I am not superstitious at all . . . but I do "divining" - you know - I can locate water using metal rods . . .and I won't do certain things on a new moon - such as sign a contract . . . So don't know if those fall under the category of "superstitions" or not . . .

Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I am not superstitious at all . . . but I do "divining" - you know - I can locate water using metal rods . . .and I won't do certain things on a new moon - such as sign a contract . . . So don't know if those fall under the category of "superstitions" or not . . .
Yep..they do.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,698 times
I am superstitious about everything LOL. I used to laugh at my mother who wouldn't even cut her toenails on certain days because it would bring bad luck. Now to my horror if I drop a fork, I immediately say "fork to the floor, man to the door" and sometimes there will be someone at my door within the night. Itchy palms can either mean an argument with someone or you will win something. I could go on for hours but won't bore you!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Now to my horror if I drop a fork, I immediately say "fork to the floor, man to the door" and sometimes there will be someone at my door within the night.
Wow, I didn't know there was a little saying to go with it! When we would drop silverware on the floor, my mom used to say, "Company's coming."

Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Wow, I didn't know there was a little saying to go with it! When we would drop silverware on the floor, my mom used to say, "Company's coming."
That's pretty interesting. My mother has a class system adaptation to that. Knife = man, fork = woman, spoon = child, and whichever direction the utensil's pointing is from where they're coming. I have a handful, but the most practiced is picking up change that's only head side up.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
My Pookie will make stride efforts to make sure we walk around the same side of poles or obstacles in our path as we stroll.

Pookie theory that it a sign that something will become between us if we dont walk around it together.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:13 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
Well the one I am currently on is that every Wednesday morning I pull out my soccer jersey and hang it on the closet door. Each morning until Sunday I have to touch the logo and wish for luck. The only time this season I did not do this we lost the game. If we win this weekend we make the playoffs. I guess until this goes south I will continue to do this. This has been our best season yet that we have all played together.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Wow, I have never heard of any of these. I am not superstitious at all. Bring on the black cats and broken mirrors!

Dawn

Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM

264 posts, read 854,620 times
If you are visiting our home, you must leave out the same door you came in from...my Mom cursed that one on me, lol.
Also, when shaking hands with someone, like if there is a group of 4 people and everyone shake hands at the same time, it is bad luck for the 'shakes' to cris-cross the other pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte