Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 PM

15 posts, read 39,075 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Continuing my homework on moving to NC, I looked up umemployment rates for three states online (I crossed referenced the sources several times and here is what I came up with).
Current national rate: 6.1%
CO 5.4 %(Aug 2007 was 3.8%)
NC 7% (Sept 2007 4.7%)
OH 7.2% (Sept 2007 5.7%)

We are trying to find out what the rate is for Charlotte alone and can't seem to come up with a number. We are not sure if we should stay put with CO's rate being better right now...seems that if NC has a much higher unemployment rate, it wouldn't make sense to try and find a job and move there right now if jobs are so scarce. OR am I seeing the affects of a couple major companies letting people go and it is just a hard hit on the Charlotte area right now? I realize it is tough in most states right now and do take that into consideration when looking at the rates.

Just trying to sift through all of the information and get the facts so we can make an educated move. Any help we can get on what the job market is like in and around Charlotte (right now) would be helpful. Basically my husband works for Transamerica (for the Merril Lynch team...very bad right now) currently, but also has has a background in mechanics. He was an ASE master mechanic, ventured away from it, but finds himself wanting to get back into the automotive field, but not wrenching(limited due to surgery). I guess he would have two different fields he could apply in so we are wondering if we have any hope to move to the area based on job options.

Appreciate all the input I'm getting, it helps in gaining the knowledge we need to make the right decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Civilian Labor Force Estimates for Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord MSA

The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina

September state data is scheduled for release on October 24th.

JAN - 5.4%
FEB - 5.4%
MAR - 5.2%
APR - 5.2%
MAY - 5.9%
JUN - 6.3%
JUL - 6.9%
AUG - 7.1%

Last edited by mm34b; 10-23-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte