Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How are gay couples accepted?
Not at all. Expect slander and violence. 5 19.23%
Just Fine. Expect a low level of understanding. 7 26.92%
Normal. Expect a few nay sayers. 12 46.15%
Welcome. Hold hands in public. 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 9,887 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Charlotte in about a month. We have done a lot of research and recently come across some disturbing news/gossip. We have heard that we might not be safe to be open about our partnership. We are both from small towns in Northern WI and the thought of being shot at or having piles of gay related magazines burned on our doorstep is more than frightening. Hopefully these are isolated incidents and not common occurences. Charlotte seems to be a diverse and exciting area to live. Any input would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 12:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Schillinger View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Charlotte in about a month. We have done a lot of research and recently come across some disturbing news/gossip. We have heard that we might not be safe to be open about our partnership. We are both from small towns in Northern WI and the thought of being shot at or having piles of gay related magazines burned on our doorstep is more than frightening. Hopefully these are isolated incidents and not common occurences. Charlotte seems to be a diverse and exciting area to live. Any input would be much appreciated.
Well, if you are shot at in Charlotte it won't be because you are gay, but because you are being robbed

Seriously, being shot at??? Where did you hear that? Maybe in some very rural areas you might experience people trying to leave you religious tracts to help save you, but I haven't heard of anybody having magazines burned on their doorstep. Not that it doesn't happen somewhere in this country I'm sure. But in Charlotte I'd say you will be pretty safe from those kinds of tactics. Charlotte is a nice place to live

Old 02-19-2007, 03:48 PM

286 posts, read 946,122 times
Quote:
Well Jessica i am moving to charlotte with my partner in a few months, i have not heard of such behavior, but who knows. I think that asheville is very gay friendly, i cant imagine anyone behaving like that. My friends are concerned about me living in th bible belt being gay-it is not like i advertise it, no one even knows-but the fact that two guys or girls live together- so what-go to charlotte, i will see you there

Old 02-19-2007, 05:18 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
I think last Thursday on the news there was mention that Charlotte is becoming one of the friendlest places for gay's.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, if you are shot at in Charlotte it won't be because you are gay, but because you are being robbed

Seriously, being shot at??? Where did you hear that? Maybe in some very rural areas you might experience people trying to leave you religious tracts to help save you, but I haven't heard of anybody having magazines burned on their doorstep. Not that it doesn't happen somewhere in this country I'm sure. But in Charlotte I'd say you will be pretty safe from those kinds of tactics. Charlotte is a nice place to live
Thanks for the reply. My girlfriend was online late last night and got all upset by whoknowswhat.com I guess someone burned a pile of The Advocate mags on someones doorstep. I dont know any details on the being shot at part. Thanks for helping me put her mind at ease.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray42 View Post
Well Jessica i am moving to charlotte with my partner in a few months, i have not heard of such behavior, but who knows. I think that asheville is very gay friendly, i cant imagine anyone behaving like that. My friends are concerned about me living in th bible belt being gay-it is not like i advertise it, no one even knows-but the fact that two guys or girls live together- so what-go to charlotte, i will see you there
Thanks!!!!!!Best of luck to you both

Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My girlfriend was online late last night and got all upset by whoknowswhat.com I guess someone burned a pile of The Advocate mags on someones doorstep. I dont know any details on the being shot at part. Thanks for helping me put her mind at ease.
Really Jessica, I think you guys will be fine

Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 PM

Also, what areas has your research led you to look at to live in?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
FBI Hate Crime Stats for Charlotte

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/table13northcarolina.htm

Old 02-20-2007, 10:51 AM

48 posts, read 150,776 times
the scary part is that that could happen anywhere really. wrong person, wrong time. that's just life.

the good news is that it's better for us now than ever in the past (and always getting better i'd like to think, as more people give us a chance with an open mind).

btw, "me too" on moving there soon w/ partner. the area we are going to in south charlotte is very middle/upper-middle class and i don't expect any specific issues related to this. we're also very low-key, of course.

g'luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: