Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:51 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,212 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing a fair amount of new construction built on slabs these days. Any input on advantages/disadvantages of slab vs. crawl space construction?

I'm looking at new construction in Vermillion/Huntersville, and the sales person there is saying that they build on slab to make the homes more energy efficient. I suspect that might be true to an extent, but probably they do this because it is cheaper.

When I lived in Florida, nearly all the homes were built on a slab. However, there were certain areas that were notorious for bad foundation performance, due to a layer of clay (which, of course, is omnipresent in the Piedmont). The idea was that the clay tended to shrink during dry weather, causing cracks in the slab, settling, etc.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have on this issue, or any experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:10 AM

236 posts, read 695,434 times
Slabs are about $4K - $5K cheaper for builders than crawl spaces. It's always going to be their preference unless price point (usually 300K +) dictates crawl because of the aesthetics and at that price point you can usually pass the cost along to the buyer.

Most builders have 10 - 15 year warranties on foundations and structural related issues and while some slabs will have issues (as will crawls), most should be just fine.

Additionally, most slab lots are padded with good dirt to help prevent any of the above related issues.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,063 times
Almost everything new is on a slab. To be honest I can't remember the last time I went in a new home being built that was not on a slab.

M/I offers a 30 year structual warranty FYI!

Vermillion is a nice neighborhood. We have some friends that live over there. Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
you cannot put real hardwood floors on a slab, fyi.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM

185 posts, read 405,560 times
I will never live in a slab-floor house again if I have the choice. The floors are very cold in the winter. When the slab cracks (and it will), expect termites and other bugs in your house. If you ever have plumbing problems, your floors will have to be jackhammered at great expense and inconvenience.

The worst part, though, is the sheer hardness of the floor and the fact that it does not give. As you get older, this becomes *very* hard on your knees as opposed to a floor over a crawl space or basement.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
And, I may be wrong on this, but I believe it can make plumbing/hvac/electrical problems more difficult to fix as the pipes and wires don't just run under the house where you have easy access. I think with less access you are more likely to have to go through walls/floors for repairs.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,353 times
Hi Comfort Food! I just have two thoughts for you on slabs...and they echo the others.

1. Tile floors on slabs will FREEZE your feet...my parents hated standing on my bathroom floors during the winter in the last house I owned in Charlotte. The floors were so cold, even the carpeted floors.

2. I had a perpetual problem with my heating/air conditing unit. The repair company finally determined that either the house had settled onto the tubing and pipes running under the house to the unit or that there was a discharge problem. But because the house was built on a slab, there was no way to check without ripping up my flooring.

To permanently fix the issue, they wanted to rerun all the connections between the outside unit and the inside unit through my attic, but...alas, that could not be done because the pitch of the attic was so steep workers couldn't get from one side to the other. It was a real pain, and something I never did get fixed. The result is that every year I had problems with either the compressor or the capacitor on the heater. It was infuriating not being able to get the root of the problem fixed.

As for a crawl space, my parents have this set-up, and the only disadvantage I see is they have to exterminate under the house periodically because they live near fields.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:12 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
I will never live in a slab-floor house again if I have the choice. The floors are very cold in the winter. When the slab cracks (and it will), expect termites and other bugs in your house. If you ever have plumbing problems, your floors will have to be jackhammered at great expense and inconvenience.

The worst part, though, is the sheer hardness of the floor and the fact that it does not give. As you get older, this becomes *very* hard on your knees as opposed to a floor over a crawl space or basement.
Our ranch home is 20 years old,no problem.If installed properly,pretreat soil for termite protection,visquene,mesh and monolithic pour it will be fine.My home had termidor treatment several years ago.This slab on cement blocks.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
I have a slab and this is my first (owned) house. It seems like it is colder all the time, no matter what the temperature is. Previously, I lived in homes that had heated basements. It did not take as much to heat the upstairs that way, even if the heat in the basement was on low. Personally, if I ever move, my "new" house (and I would only buy an older constructed home) will have a full basement in it.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM

90 posts, read 175,196 times
We are also looking in Vermillion and had the same question. You must have spoke to the same sales person..lol.
We keep ending up back there. We searched the entire area in 1 week and feel very happy with Vermillion. We are waiting to see what 2 other builders have for inventory homes.
Good luck with your search...we may end up neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: