Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Used to be . . . Charlotte was known for all the beautiful outdoor Christmas decorations. Very Williamsburg-style . . . Wreaths in every front window, often w/ bows and candles in windows . . . Garlands festooning doorways and porticos . . . sometimes, a Moravian Star . . . tiny white lights woven into garlands or thousands of white lights encircling tree trunks or tastefully placed on shrubs around the house . . .sometimes, apples or magnolia leaves woven into garlands over home entrances . . .

You didn't use anything but tiny white lights . . . . whole neighborhoods w/ white lights and lots of fresh pine garlands . . .

I have seen stuff the last five years or so that makes my eyeballs hurt. Just plain downright tacky and tasteless, IMHO. (Of course, we all know I am a poop).

What is in and what is out when it comes to decorating a home for the holidays????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Used to be . . . Charlotte was known for all the beautiful outdoor Christmas decorations. Very Williamsburg-style . . . Wreaths in every front window, often w/ bows and candles in windows . . . Garlands festooning doorways and porticos . . . sometimes, a Moravian Star . . . tiny white lights woven into garlands or thousands of white lights encircling tree trunks or tastefully placed on shrubs around the house . . .sometimes, apples or magnolia leaves woven into garlands over home entrances . . .

You didn't use anything but tiny white lights . . . . whole neighborhoods w/ white lights and lots of fresh pine garlands . . .

I have seen stuff the last five years or so that makes my eyeballs hurt. Just plain downright tacky and tasteless, IMHO. (Of course, we all know I am a poop).

What is in and what is out when it comes to decorating a home for the holidays????
Ani, I'm used to seeing the Williamsburg style with white lights, Small displays with multicolor lights & then some displays that make the Griswalds look sedate. I like the mix. I'm looking forward to seeing what's done here.

I'd say that the LED lights & fiberoptic decorations are gaining popularity everywhere.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-28-2008 at 01:35 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Southerners white lights, subtle. Yankees -- freakish. Rednecks -- sad.

Trained my daughters at early age to pick out the Yankees by their garish, over the top decorations. We would ride down the street and they would say, "Yankees, Daddy."

Living in Maryland, there was a house, decked out, in blue. Glowed on the horizon. I initially thought we had bought near a nuclear dump site!

Subtle, people, understated elegance.

LLN

Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 PM

120 posts, read 325,424 times
I'm a traditionalist, and only allow white lights for our house. We'll have the icicle lights hanging from the eaves, our bushes will have the netting lights on them, garland and wreath for the front door, and candlesticks in the windows. BUT, a few years ago my mom gave us this wooden decoration of three deer with light up red noses who are holding a wreath and sign that says Merry Christmas, it's a bit goofy but so are we. :P I put it by the front door to hopefully make people smile.
On other peoples houses I love it all, even the way tacky stuff makes me smile. But if I have to be totally honest I've seen houses with all red lights, even the red candlesticks in the windows and it sorta reminds me of a satanic house.
I don't know what's in and what's out but I have noticed more people are putting those huge blow up plastic things up, some of them are like huge snow globes!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-28-2008 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: personal attack discuss topics and not members

Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Southerners white lights, subtle. Yankees -- freakish. Rednecks -- sad.

Trained my daughters at early age to pick out the Yankees by their garish, over the top decorations. We would ride down the street and they would say, "Yankees, Daddy."

Living in Maryland, there was a house, decked out, in blue. Glowed on the horizon. I initially thought we had bought near a nuclear dump site!

Subtle, people, understated elegance.

LLN
Nice theory. Care to explain why more than 50% of the decorated houses in South Jersey would fall under your description of southern? Oh, that's right, if the Mason Dixon line was extended east, it would be going right through South Jersey.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
I don't mind any kind of Christmas displays that people put up as long as they take them down. Christmas lights that festoon a house in the middle of July bespeak volumes about the kind of people that live there- and it's not good! If it's too much work to take them down, don't put any up!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Here's a neat site that gives info about NC & SC and some other Southern states . . . and lists special holiday displays and events. Check out the outdoor decorations!!!!

Biltmore, Asheville,Blowing Rock: Historic Christmas celebrations in North Carolina

Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Beautiful, traditional wreath ideas - from Southern Living:

SouthernLiving.com Homes and Decorating Wreaths of Williamsburg - SouthernLiving.com

Video on creating some interior traditional decorations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjb2zKbUfDA

Check out Williamsburg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyoPw...eature=related

Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Basically IMO when those "blow up" front yard decorations were invented, that's when Christmas decorations basically "jumped the shark".

I see those humungus (sp?) blow up things on postage stamp lawns and I say to myself "what are you thinking???"

White lights for us. A wreath or two. Just enough to be noticed, but not enough to make it National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation if you catch my drift....

Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Basically IMO when those "blow up" front yard decorations were invented, that's when Christmas decorations basically "jumped the shark".

I see those humungus (sp?) blow up things on postage stamp lawns and I say to myself "what are you thinking???"

White lights for us. A wreath or two. Just enough to be noticed, but not enough to make it National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation if you catch my drift....
I do catch your drift, Jack!!! Same thing being planned here . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte