Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Ani, very good post.

I have said on this forum several times that I believe the crime situation in Charlotte is well overblown. Yes, crime needs to be addressed and even reduced considerably. But when you compare our city to others of similar size and stature, we are nothing outstanding...

..By the way, here's a link of the most recent crime statistics. If you look at them, yes we need to improve, but you will also find several cities that I and many other people would not hesitate in moving to ranked much worse than us: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf...
Absolutely ^^^

Why are there these continued singular comparisons of Charlotte to New York, and not cities similar to Charlotte in size and density. To suggest there’s something wrong with Charlotte because its crime stats aren’t like NY is totally off base. Why not compare Charlotte to places like Nashville, Memphis, Richmond, Jacksonville or Orlando? These places have more in common with Charlotte than New York.

Some other interesting observations I found online…

Article: CRIME Blog | The Dallas Morning News

Highlights…

- Many criminologists say the data can't account for the willingness of residents to report crime…differences in geography, development and transportation...

- For example: “…large numbers of New Yorkers use the subway, the much larger city of New York offers a comparatively smaller opportunity for thieves to break in or steal cars.)…”

- Reporting practices vary widely among police agencies…One city's burglary may be considered a trespassing in another.

- Some cities also have been caught or accused of cheating. (For example:…In New York, the heads of police unions have accused the department of cooking the books on crime statistics by downgrading crimes from felonies to misdemeanors or refusing to count them…”

- What's a good way to look at 'clean' crime statistics?...Most agree that murder provides the most reliable statistics…Murder is the crime reported most accurately across all policing agencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Just curious, your lcation says "CT soon to be NC". Do you live here?
Yes I do live in NC. I will update my status, but I have been here for 1.5 years now. The largest negative for me is the crime rate!!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Call Giuliani whatever you want, but one cannot say that he did not clean up New York. During his administration, NYC became one of the friendliest large cities in the world. The crime went down tremendously, and the streets were mostly cleared of minacing homeless individuals. Many will say that he had nothing to do with it, but he was there in office. Maybe it was good timing, but things sure got better. I wanted him as president. At least he had proven experience.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM

494 posts, read 1,348,879 times
I do love it here...but the crime here is just crazy. LIving in Boston I never heard of all the things that I hear of here. The Crime here seems to be more personal like Carjackings...home invasions...etc. It seems not much is done about it either and people who have been here for awhile think that it happens everywhere. I am hoping we will get someone in charge who will fix things because it really is the only pitfall (IMO)to living here.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 PM

314 posts, read 1,136,118 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This city needs a Batman vigilante. If anyone on here is a billionaire willing to fund such activities, send me a PM.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
I sent you a PM.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:58 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This city needs a Batman vigilante. If anyone on here is a billionaire willing to fund such activities, send me a PM.
Me too but Doorway is the billionaress. . .use her money.
LOL at DW's post.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM

60 posts, read 157,745 times
Let's face it. Charlotte is a little city with big city problems. One of the problems is its inability to deal effectively with crime. Its revolving door justice system is a joke and the dirtbags know it.

Instead of spending so much money for its sport oriented mentality and NASCAR, maybe some of it ought to go towards law enforcement, and I mean a lot of it.

While I'm sure a lot of local Charlotteans will appreciate my next comment, it doesn't say much for the future of Charlotte. Many recent transplants from various parts of the country once established here, are telling everybody they know back home not to bother coming to Charlotte due to among other things the out of control crime problem. And apparently, many people are heeding that advice.

And while it's not fair to compare NYC to Charlotte, I never felt unsafe while working there for over 38 years whether it was day or late at night.
After a couple of months down here, got myself a concealed carry permit and considered it just common sense.

People have to forget about re-habilitate and start thinking incarcerate.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTIN7 View Post
...Many recent transplants from various parts of the country once established here, are telling everybody they know back home not to bother coming to Charlotte due to among other things the out of control crime problem. And apparently, many people are heeding that advice...
Really? And exactly how did you draw that conculsion given the fact that Charlotte historically has been, and continues to be, one of the fastest growing cities in the country?

Link: U.S.: New Orleans is nation's fastest growing big city - Jul. 10, 2008

Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I wish I knew why Charlotte seems to have so much crime. All the counties around would like Charlotte to solve its crime problem. It seems to sometimes overflow. Rodney Monroe keeps pointing to the revolving door. The police should not have to arrest a criminal more than one time. Time for the courts to start doing their jobs. We certainly don't need Raleigh to start deciding who should be the judges. People did a good job eliminating the problem with the last election. I like it that the TV stations are helping by keeping it in the news. We should never accept crime as a necessary part of a city.

We moved to the Charlotte area in 1966. I really never felt safe when inside the city limits. I would love to go uptown to see some of the events there, but it is not worth my life and I have heard horror stories. I think the uptown area is losing lots of money by not solving the crime problem. Time to get rid of the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte