Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times

Advertisements

Is there an easy way to park for the McAdenville lights without having to sit in traffic? Seems like the only way in and out of the town is the one street that slows to a crawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,883 times
From what I hear, you don't really park to see the lights - you drive through, and there is, as you say, basically one way to go through town.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
People do walk through to see the lights. From their website's FAQ.

Quote:
Can I walk through Christmas Town?

Yes, walking is a great way to see the Christmas lights, the decorated homes and to hear the sounds of the church chimes..
Quote:
Where can I park and what is the cost

We have three parking areas in town; (1) a parking lot is located behind the McAdenville Baptist/Caromont Clinic.

(2) Another lot is located behind the Village Restaurant. The Restaurant is located on Main Street in the small business area of town. (3) A large parking lot is located beside the lake in the heart of Christmas Town; feel free to park at NO COST.
If you're coming down Wilkinson/74, you may want to try to parking at the Burger King or in Cramer Market parking lot (technically Cramerton) across the street (Wilkinson) from the entrance. You'll have to walk a lot farther than if you park in McAdenville but it may be eaier than trying to get in and out of traffic.

Last edited by NCgirl; 12-12-2008 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post

If you're coming down Wilkinson/74, you may want to try to parking at the Burger King or in Cramer Market parking lot (technically Cramerton) across the street (Wilkinson) from the entrance. You'll have to walk a lot farther than if you park in McAdenville but it may be eaier than trying to get in and out of traffic.
Just note, there aren't isn't a lot in the way of sidewalks and in some places you would be walking in the road. Its also hilly in areas and not good if you have small kid or stollers. People who are driving through have a hard time looking at lights and looking out for pedistrians. Its better not to park and just do a couple of laps through the area in the car. Traffic isn't all that bad once you get inside of McAdenville proper. It moves at a pace that gives you time to look at all the light. Go during the week and not on weekends and get there just as it gets dark and you won't even have a lot of traffic to deal with.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 PM

221 posts, read 724,647 times
I agree with NCgirl.
Walking through McAdenville is very lovely, and her suggestions would remove sitting in traffic at all. Driving through is fantastic, but walking it gives you a nice experience. Stop by the downtown shops and get some hot chocolate, walk around the lake. Listen to the comments coming out of the car windows from children excited to see something neat. I just drove down 85 this evening and traffic was backed up for miles in each direction. I would absolutley come in off Wilkinson (74) and try not to visit on the weekend if possible.
Have a great time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post

Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,130 times
Default I wish they didn't close it on Dec. 26th

I wonder why they don't keep it to New Year's. I wanted to take our company there.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 PM

28 posts, read 84,540 times
Weather and stamina permitting, walking will offer more of an experience and you'll notice little things you otherwise would miss while in a car. From Charlotte, I recommend coming down 74 and planning your arrival time for about 5:30 just when it's getting dark and when the lights are set to come on. Just before you reach the traffic circle, you'll see McAdenville Elementary's parking lot on the right- park there (it's better than the shopping area on the other side of 74 b/c that's not an easy intersection to cross). From there, if you walk as far as the Commuity Center/YMCA and back, you'll see most of it and that'll be about all most people can manage unless you're in pretty good shape. If you have small kids that poop out easily, definitely bring strollers or wagons.

If you want to experience McA without traffic and there are no children's bedtimes to worry about, come on a Sunday night around 9:30 or 10:00 - you'll have until 11 to drive back and forth all you want without following the tail lights of the car in front of you.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
I wonder why they don't keep it to New Year's. I wanted to take our company there.
It's way expensive for the town to run the lights and provide security and traffic control for that amount of time. I also would expect that the residents are really ready to be done, after about 6 weeks of nonstop traffic through their neighborhood every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte