Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:55 AM

227 posts, read 293,353 times

Advertisements

I know i asked this in another thread, but i cannot find it.

I see so many people moving here. To me it looks like people are just trying to pick a place they want to live and that the choice is not dictated by a job (as my move here was). Im curious as to what all you new or soon to be residents do to pay the bills???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 AM

48 posts, read 150,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post

I see so many people moving here. To me it looks like people are just trying to pick a place they want to live and that the choice is not dictated by a job (as my move here was). Im curious as to what all you new or soon to be residents do to pay the bills???
The large monolithic towers (banks) in the center of uptown... they beckon...

... or in this case, they say, "We're transferring you to Charlotte!"

Old 03-01-2007, 10:14 AM

16 posts, read 55,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duquesne View Post
The large monolithic towers (banks) in the center of uptown... they beckon...

... or in this case, they say, "We're transferring you to Charlotte!"

What, you mean people in Charlotte work for the banks?!

Honestly, I think 95% of Charlotte works for BoA or Wachovia. I know we do!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 AM

LOL. Yeah, in this case they bought the bank we worked for (totally unheard of in banking) and are closing most of the operations up here I believe.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 AM

16 posts, read 55,714 times
Didn't you get the memo?
Pretty soon everything will be owned by BoA! They are out for world domination!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 AM

I didn't say it was BoA

*stifles a laugh*

Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 PM

72 posts, read 298,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post

I'm a legal recruiter (headhunter) I recruit lawyers for law firms and pharmaceutical companies. I work from home so location is flexible. I have come to hate my home state of MA and I love the South. Always have. And we are very partial to NC.

Dave

Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,376 times
I think its slew of different reasons.

1. Jobs

2. Retirees

3. A change

Jobs are predominantly in the Raleigh or Charlotte areas, and these places I guesstimate receive 75% of new growth. Meaning people move to these places over any other.

Retirees tend to retire in the western parts of the state, giving a boost to areas like Hendersonville.

Others just want a change. Figure life will be different here, they can afford it, so why not? It appears that NC is the only place people think they can go for 'change'. Truth be told, NC is a safe bet for most since everyone else is doing it, its not TOO far from where they used to live and its not much of a risk.

I really dont buy into the fact everyone is moving just for cheaper place to live. This does not hold much truth anymore. And the ability to afford more here with your money is rapidly dwindling as we head to being another Florida.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,598 times
Default why NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I think its slew of different reasons.

I really dont buy into the fact everyone is moving just for cheaper place to live. This does not hold much truth anymore. And the ability to afford more here with your money is rapidly dwindling as we head to being another Florida.
I think this is exactly the reason why you have a lot of people from FL, NY, CA, NJ, etc. moving there. People are hoping that real estate will do there what it did in the markets where people made a lot of money. Even though we are moving from FL, this is not the primary reason we are moving. Sure, I would love to see our home value appreciate there like the FL market did. Mostly, though I am looking for a change of pace, a change of seasons, getting away from the hurricanes, and a new adventure!

Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
Well, that would be lovely if the market does go up by leaps and bounds (for those of us who already own anyway!)

I am in Charlotte because my husband dragged me here!

Actually, we just decided LA, CA was too difficult to live in with kids and commutes and high housing, etc....so we loaded up the family and moved AWAY from Beverly!

Our 1st choice was Raleigh (because friends are there) but there weren't jobs to be had for my husband there so we are in Charlotte. Turns out it was a good thing.....Charlotte has more to offer our needs in many ways.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I think this is exactly the reason why you have a lot of people from FL, NY, CA, NJ, etc. moving there. People are hoping that real estate will do there what it did in the markets where people made a lot of money. Even though we are moving from FL, this is not the primary reason we are moving. Sure, I would love to see our home value appreciate there like the FL market did. Mostly, though I am looking for a change of pace, a change of seasons, getting away from the hurricanes, and a new adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte