Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
After a couple counter offers, the Relocation Company has returned to their original offer of $259,900 with 3.5% closing assistance and said this is their final offer.
You say the Relo company has "returned" to their original offer - are you implying that they had given you a better offer at one stage of the negotiation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you guys really want THIS house THAT'S what it's going to cost you
Not necessarily... I went through something similar when we were looking for a house & found the perfect one in Monroe. It was an A frame on an acre with a hot tub in the livingroom. We made an offer, they countered & we said no. We kept looking & found our present home. Two months later the owners of the first house contacted our realtor & said that they'd accept our offer, but of course we'd already committed to the other property. It depends how long this company wants an albatross property around their neck.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Not necessarily... I went through something similar when we were looking for a house & found the perfect one in Monroe. It was an A frame on an acre with a hot tub in the livingroom. We made an offer, they countered & we said no. We kept looking & found our present home. Two months later the owners of the first house contacted our realtor & said that they'd accept our offer, but of course we'd already committed to the other property. It depends how long this company wants an albatross property around their neck.
Okay, I'm confused, was this lovely gem (WITH A HOT TUB IN THE LIVING ROOM, ROTFL) owned by individuals or a relo company? My post and the others are in regards to how relo companies play ball Which is to say, they have usually already taken a loss, they have deeper pockets than individual homeowners and will therefore wait out the market, and they have a bottom line they will not usually ever go below.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 21,071 times
my only advice is that you should come up with what you want to pay, and offer it to them - you can't control their response, but if they don't take it this time, tell them you are walking away (they will probably come right back and accept). it sounds like you only want the house if it's a great deal, so you are probably able to walk away, especially in this market.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:50 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,266 times
In my opinion you should keep looking. It is a buyer's market, so by continuing to look you will either find something better and cheaper.... or you will realize that the other house is a great deal. Meanwhile, make sure that your offer is officially off the table. The relo company will use your offer to try to entice others to make a competing offer... except that there are no other buyers!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM

327 posts, read 1,198,065 times
To the OP, Are you frustrated because you know this is a buyers market and you feel that you should be getting something off the asking price? If it was an individual seller, I'd say you have the right to be frustrated and should move on. But, as others have said, its a Relo company, so they work a bit differently. We offered on 3 houses before we finally found one where the sellers were willing to negotiate more than $2,000.

As someone else said, I'd take a look at the comps. If the $259k is in line with the comps or below, I'd swallow my pride, take the house and be happy that I got the house I wanted at a competitive price. If not, move on. BEst of luck.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM

569 posts, read 1,410,252 times
It all really depends on how much you want the house. If I myself really wanted the house I might step back and say "rates are still at an all time low and this is a good deal so maybe I am being too greedy". I know it is a buyers market and the economy is bad...but there are still other buyers out there. You have to ask yourself at what point is something a good deal and at what point am I asking too much of the seller?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
I wouldn't wring my hands over whether or not the seller is properly motivated. I would increase my offer or simply move on based on my research and level of want...

Sounds to me like the seller might be a little keener than you give credit for...

Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, I'm confused, was this lovely gem (WITH A HOT TUB IN THE LIVING ROOM, ROTFL) owned by individuals or a relo company?
It was owned by a church. The preacher who had lived there had been caught bedding his parishoners & was booted. At least that's what we were told.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
It was owned by a church. The preacher who had lived there had been caught bedding his parishoners & was booted. At least that's what we were told.
OHMYGOSH, still trying to wrap my brain around the image of that hot tub in the middle of the living room, lol!!!

But thanks for clarifying - so it wasn't a relo company - relo's are a different animal to deal with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte