Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM

33 posts, read 121,160 times

Advertisements

Went to an out of state teacher fair and saw that Gaston County is looking for teachers. Would like to hear from those that know the area and the schools. Is there diversity? What are race relations like? Crime/Safety? Recreation for kids? Good schools? Are people accepting of new comers? Drugs or gangs in the area? Family friendly area? We are a biracial couple. Would that be a problem for us or our child? Wondering about employment oppertunities for my spouse. What types of jobs are in the area?
Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
I was raised in the area and my parents still live there, so I'm VERY familiar with the area. I'm over there at least once a month.

Diversity? For the most part, yes.

Race relations? Good.

Crime? Most areas are safe, but it has its pockets just like any other area. Lived there (Gaston Co.) until I was 32 and never had a problem.

Recreation for kids? One of the best public libraries I've seen. Across the street, a top-notched nature museum/planetarium/nature trail. Good Y. Nice parks. Lake Wylie in the eastern part of the county, Crowders Mnt. SP in the western part.

Good schools? Overall, no. It's really the only (but big) stickler. My wife taught in the system before. There are three very good school zones though; SE Gastonia, Belmont, and Cherryville. You'd do fine in those areas. The rest, I'd shy away from. If you want details, pm me.

Accepting of newbies? Yes.

Drugs/Gangs? No more than any other area of its size. Again, it's in pockets.

Family friendly? Yes.

Biracial? You guys would have no problem.

There are some wonderful companies in the area, but turnover is low and few are expanding. You'll probably have to commute to Charlotte. But Gaston Co. has the easiest commute into Charlotte of any other county. Excellent road systems throughout the county.

I hope this helps. It really is a good area. We loved living there. If you go to one of the school zones I mentioned, you'll be fine. If you need anymore info or suggestions, just pm me. Good luck!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
In addition to friendnc's comments on the schools, I wouldn't knock schools in the Mount Holly/East Gaston area, either. I think in Gaston County though, the Belmont and southeast Gastonia schools have the best reputations though

Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofbess View Post
In addition to friendnc's comments on the schools, I wouldn't knock schools in the Mount Holly/East Gaston area, either. I think in Gaston County though, the Belmont and southeast Gastonia schools have the best reputations though
You know, you're probably right. The way the Mt. Holly area is growing now, they probably are better. 'Just wasn't sure enough to mention it!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 AM

8 posts, read 66,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMI View Post
Went to an out of state teacher fair and saw that Gaston County is looking for teachers. Would like to hear from those that know the area and the schools. Is there diversity? What are race relations like? Crime/Safety? Recreation for kids? Good schools? Are people accepting of new comers? Drugs or gangs in the area? Family friendly area? We are a biracial couple. Would that be a problem for us or our child? Wondering about employment oppertunities for my spouse. What types of jobs are in the area?
Thanks for any info
Keep in mind that reciprocity on your license isn't automatically like for like, and there are 10 states that NC doesn't reciprocate with at all. Of the states that we do reciprocate with, NC will grant closest possible comparable areas of licensure, but there's no guarantee you'll be certified in everything you were certified in where you are now or at the same level you were at before.

You'll also need to have been through the PRAXIS series and have at least one PRAXIS II subject level test. Assuming NC does reciprocate your license but you don't meet the testing criteria, you can get a one year provisional, in which time you have to get all the testing taken care of or you lose the license until you do.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:22 AM

8 posts, read 66,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
You know, you're probably right. The way the Mt. Holly area is growing now, they probably are better. 'Just wasn't sure enough to mention it!
I'm not sure about Belmont. South Point hasn't ever been regarded as a top performing school. The performers are usually Ashbrook (although it's going downhill) and Forestbrook. I would avoid East Gaston and Hunter Huss altogether.

And please stop directing people to Cherryville. LOL. We don't wan't newcomers messing it up.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid89 View Post
I'm not sure about Belmont. South Point hasn't ever been regarded as a top performing school. The performers are usually Ashbrook (although it's going downhill) and Forestbrook. I would avoid East Gaston and Hunter Huss altogether.

And please stop directing people to Cherryville. LOL. We don't wan't newcomers messing it up.
Now you've got me curious...is East Gaston High itself a bad school? I never attended GCS but have a little work experience in the district and I always thought that the elementary and middle schools that filter into EG were some of the better performing schools in the district. I know that none of the high schools in the district are known for 1200+ SAT averages or anything But I thought that all of the schools on that side of the county were well-respected. I have heard the same thing about Ashbrook since Forestview opened, although it's only hearsay.

And it's funny that I've always lived so close to Gaston County and I've never been to Cherryville...maybe I need to jump in the car and take a drive up Now that Wally World is coming up, I think people might catch on!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 AM

33 posts, read 121,160 times
Default Thanks:) And what about Hog farms?

Thank you so much to every one for the info.
This has been the friendlist and most informative forum.
I have been looking into GA (Gwinnett county and AZ (Gilbert) because i already have offers (teaching) there but not many (on the forum) have responded. Must be something with teachers because i noticed that with other teachers that have asked questions on the AZ forum. Thought i would check out NC because my husband heard the hog farm industry has been growing and this is his area and would really like to move to NC.
Does any one have any info if there are hog farms and where are they?
I have look in JOb searches but have not seen any thing.
Thanks again so much

Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 AM

The big hog farms tend to be in the eastern part of the state. Gastonia is in the western half. Maybe some posters from the east can give some suggestions. Good luck!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid89 View Post

I know test scores aren't everything, but........

SAT Scores for 2005-2006; 3 higest scoring from Gaston Co.
----------------------------------------------------------
Forestview - Verbal=494; Math=517; Total=1011
South Point - Verbal=497; Math=513; Total=1010
Ashbrook - Verbal=493; Math=515; Total=1010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte