Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 26,655 times

Advertisements

Hi...I have been encouraging my 15 year old son to give back to his community. Does anyone know of volunteer opportunities that he may be able to pursue? We have called the Humane Society of York county 4-5 times and they have not returned a phone call. I called the United Way and they referred me to an outfit that deals with people recently released from prison...yes, I told them that this was a 15 year old boy, I am not sure what they were thinking. We live in Indian Land, just south of the Ballantyne area of Charlotte. We were thinking that shelters or soup kitchens could probably use extra help right now, since things are so bad for everyone but I have no idea who else to call.Any ideas would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
I volunteer at a couple of hospitals in the area. They always need help in a variety of areas, not just with patients. CMC in Pineville isn't too far from you.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 26,655 times
I mentiond that to him as well. His girlfriends mom works at 2 different area hospitals and she told him she would check at work to see if they have anything available.I wasn't sure if there would liability issues with a 15 year old putting in hours at a hospital?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnic View Post
Hi...I have been encouraging my 15 year old son to give back to his community. Does anyone know of volunteer opportunities that he may be able to pursue? We have called the Humane Society of York county 4-5 times and they have not returned a phone call. I called the United Way and they referred me to an outfit that deals with people recently released from prison...yes, I told them that this was a 15 year old boy, I am not sure what they were thinking. We live in Indian Land, just south of the Ballantyne area of Charlotte. We were thinking that shelters or soup kitchens could probably use extra help right now, since things are so bad for everyone but I have no idea who else to call.Any ideas would be appreciated!
Check out Volunteer Match. They list opportunities for children and adults.

Quote:
VolunteerMatch strengthens communities by making it easier for good people and good causes to connect. The organization offers a variety of online services to support a community of nonprofit, volunteer and business leaders committed to civic engagement. Our popular service welcomes millions of visitors a year and has become the preferred internet recruiting tool for more than 63,000 nonprofit organizations

volunteermatch.org

Old 02-24-2009, 12:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
You can also try http://www.handsoncharlotte.org/

Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Try the afterschool program, nursing homes, tutorial services and the YMCA.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
One of the most worthwhile places to volunteer some time is at Crisis Assistance Ministry. They usually need volunteers on a regular basis to help sort and arrange all the clothing donations they get, among other things. Good for you for encouraging your son to "give back"

http://www.crisisassistance.org/

http://www.crisisassistance.org/inde...gory=Volunteer

Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
Another option would be Idealist.org:

idealist.org - Find Volunteer Opportunities

Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
Quote:
I mentiond that to him as well. His girlfriends mom works at 2 different area hospitals and she told him she would check at work to see if they have anything available.I wasn't sure if there would liability issues with a 15 year old putting in hours at a hospital?
Typically, the minimum age is 14 (teens are considered "junior volunteers). If you look on the hospital web sites, you should be able to find the general info and their contact info. There are requirements to volunteering at a hospital, such as an interview, TB test (paid for by the hospital), orientation, etc. They don't let just anyone walk in the door, thankfully, but a lot of teens do volunteer at hospitals and it can be a very rewarding experience. (Can you tell I was once a hospital volunteer director? )

Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
We get my 14 year old son to volunteenr about once every two months at Habitat for Humanity. He also volunteers at the post office warehouse when they do their food collections. He helps to sort. I have to tell you that it's done under duress but he does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte