Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 91,935 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I received my first speeding ticket (16 mph over in Charlotte -- the speed limit had dropped 15 mph on the road I was on, but I didn't notice). To top it off, my registration had expired, so I received TWO citations.

Since then, I have renewed my registration. I was planning to go to the court date (which is on Monday) to have the charges lessened, but I have a meeting that I REALLY need to attend Monday morning at work.

So -- I went to the court on Friday to just pay the tickets. However, the lady there convinced me that it wasn't worth it, and that I could go to the DA's office to have the registration citation dropped and the speeding ticket reduced. She said as long as I do that before a certain date in March, I'd be fine.

My question -- has anyone ever heard of this? I always thought that a warrant would be issued (among other horrible things!) if a person failed to appear in court by the court date. So I'm a bit nervous, even though the woman at the court reassured me that it'd be fine as long as it's before the March date.

Also, could I still be technically appearing in court if I show up well past 9:00? Say, 3:30 in the afternoon? I've heard that it's okay to show up past 9:00, but I'm not sure if hours later is okay! 3:30 is probably the earliest I could get there if I go to work.

Any answers would be appreciated. I hate to miss work that day, but I will do it if I still feel so uncertain. Missing important meetings is better than jail time or a suspended license.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Take some responsibility and show up when they tell you to and on time. It's too bad that you have important things at work at that time, but you are the one that got the ticket. I understand it was a mistake, but it is still your responsibility to clear it up in the correct way. You are absolutely right that missing work is better than jail or a suspended license.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,599 times
The lady was correct. Go to the DA's window on the first floor. You can walk up any time. Take the tickets and your new proof or registration with you. The registration ticket will be dropped. And ask that the speeding ticket be reduced to something under 15 over. I've done it before... You'll get it taken care of on the spot.. then just go pay for the reduced ticket and you're all set.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 PM

coastalgirl -- According to the woman who worked there, going to the DA after the court date would also be "the correct way" and simply an alternative to going there at 9:00 a.m. I would just like to hear some verification since I just don't see any info about this option elsewhere.

Thank you, GP! It's good to hear from another source, just to be sure that the lady there wasn't giving me incorrect info.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet1310 View Post
coastalgirl -- According to the woman who worked there, going to the DA after the court date would also be "the correct way" and simply an alternative to going there at 9:00 a.m. I would just like to hear some verification since I just don't see any info about this option elsewhere.

Thank you, GP! It's good to hear from another source, just to be sure that the lady there wasn't giving me incorrect info.
Just so you know, you had the option to do this before your court date as well.. and it's always better not to miss a court date. But, it's very common and they even have an allowance for it... And you weren't likely to have warrant for something as small as a speeding ticket.. Don't sweat it...

Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet1310 View Post

yes, there is a 20 day grace period. i caled last week and was advised by the da that i would be fine.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
yes, there is a 20 day grace period. i caled last week and was advised by the da that i would be fine.
Thank you! That's exactly how many days the woman said, so I guess I shouldn't have doubted her.

Next time I won't wait so long. (Actually, hopefully there will never BE a "next time".)

Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,330 times
Last time I had a ticket I went to the court date on the ticket. They asked us to break up in 3 lines outside of the courtroom.

-One for court hearings to plead your case. These people were sent into the actual court room.
-One for something else, don't remember
-One to speak to a DA in the hallway.

3 DA's came out and stood in the hallway working through the line.

When it was my turn I literally handed them the ticket and didn't even get a chance to say one word before she handed it back to me with changes making it speeding at under 5 mph over the limit. Something about it keeping it off insurance but still requiring me to pay a small fine and court fee.

Couldn't have been any easier. The DA never even looked at me if I remember it correctly.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Pay the ticket and please slow down before you run over a little child..

Old 02-14-2010, 04:57 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
You don't want to be convicted of the 16 over the speed limit. In NC this is more than a traffic citation, it is a Class II misdemeanor that will go on your record and your insurance will skyrocket. This is why you are having to go to the court in the first place as you are being charged with a criminal offense. Forget your meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte