Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 PM
BNY BNY started this thread

49 posts, read 192,404 times

Advertisements

I haven't been able to find much concrete info about it, but is there a Walmart being built on 160 across from Old Tara? We're looking to buy a home near 160/Gold Hill, anywhere in an area from Knightsbridge to Palmetto to Tara Plantation, but we want to make sure we don't get caught living next to a big box.

My search pulled up some older comments that it was in the planning stages, and it looks like several other locations were being considered, too. Is the construction at that spot going on right now for a Walmart?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,025,322 times
From the Fort Mill times

Study says: Limit retail on Hwy. 160
By Jonathan Allen Fort Mill Times

Hwy. 160 West is very popular. County planning staff have seen a surge in interest in the corridor from commercial developers eager to set up shop somewhere between Tega Cay's future Wal-Mart and Fort Mill's soon-to-be-finished Lowe's, according to the Hwy. 160 Corridor Land Use Study. The York County Council got its first look at the study at its last meeting. "Basically, what they presented was because of the Wal-Mart in Tega Cay and the Lowe's in Fort Mill, we won't be able to rezone anything along [Hwy.] 160," said County Councilman Paul Lindemann, the township's District 1 representative. To generate the Hwy. 160 Corridor Study, county planning staff determined the traffic impact of the land in the corridor if it were developed as zoned and compared it to the traffic impact if the land were developed under the zoning called for in the 2025 Comprehensive Land Use Plan. The study also examined the conditions of Hwy. 160 and several crossroads. Though widened just a few years ago, Hwy. 160 West

The wal-mart I beleive is near newport.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:15 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNY View Post
I haven't been able to find much concrete info about it, but is there a Walmart being built on 160 across from Old Tara? We're looking to buy a home near 160/Gold Hill, anywhere in an area from Knightsbridge to Palmetto to Tara Plantation, but we want to make sure we don't get caught living next to a big box.

My search pulled up some older comments that it was in the planning stages, and it looks like several other locations were being considered, too. Is the construction at that spot going on right now for a Walmart?

Thanks
The reason you are unable to find it in Fort Mill...is due to the fact that it will be located in Tega Cay. This area was once considered to be part of Fort Mill Township...but Tega Cay annexed this land.

If you know were Tara Plantation is located it will pretty much be directly across the street from that.

There have been numerous delays..but the last I have heard was a completion day just prior to the start of school (July/Aug 2007)...ooh yippee (with sarcastic undertones)

Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
BNY BNY started this thread

49 posts, read 192,404 times
Thanks... I did NOT know that 160 down to Tara Plantation was considered Tega Cay. We liked the lot sizes and houses there, but I can see why people are selling. Having a new street light at the intersection would make the outlet easier, but I would not look forward to all the hassles.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNY View Post
Thanks... I did NOT know that 160 down to Tara Plantation was considered Tega Cay. We liked the lot sizes and houses there, but I can see why people are selling. Having a new street light at the intersection would make the outlet easier, but I would not look forward to all the hassles.
Tara Plantation (and that side of 160) will remain Fort Mill Township. The land that Tega Cay annexed remains on the opposite side of the (Hwy 160) road (from Tara Plantation), and goes as far as Dam Rd....I believe. But there are still sections on Gold Hill Rd/160 (for example Palmetto Plantation/Palmetto West) that will remain Fort Mill Township. Sorry I had having a hard time trying to convey this as I am unable to find a new map of Tega Cay with the annexed land...and since statelines and town lines tend not to follow a grid pattern it's not so cut and dry on how to explain.

http://www.tcvfd.com/maps/ (broken link)
(this will show you the current map of Tega Cay)

From the history of Tega Cay site (www.tegacaysc.org)

In the fall of 2000, the City annexed three new areas consisting of Stonecrest, Crescent and Nivens Creek Landing. Stonecrest will bring the first planned retail and commercial properties to the City, along with town homes and apartments. Crescent will consist of town homes, while Nivens Creek is owned by Duke Power and serves as a boat ramp for area residents.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:43 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times
My parents looked in to a development in the same complex as the WalMart on 160, I'm not sure what the nae of it was, but it was a 55 and over community. They've done a lot with Burms and distractions from the Wal-MArt and from what I saw, the Wal-MArt is right there as soon as you turn into the complex....there are a bunch of burms and turns in the road when you get into the residential area.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
My parents looked in to a development in the same complex as the WalMart on 160, I'm not sure what the nae of it was, but it was a 55 and over community. They've done a lot with Burms and distractions from the Wal-MArt and from what I saw, the Wal-MArt is right there as soon as you turn into the complex....there are a bunch of burms and turns in the road when you get into the residential area.
That would be Stonecrest Villas...while I knew they were geared for us baby boomers (I mean those baby boomers )....I was not aware it was strictly a 55 and over community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte