Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:08 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times

Advertisements

A fairly high percentage of people in Clt work for the major banks. A high % of these have been laid off and there is a possibility that even more will be laid off as we work thru this crisis.

Now for those that don't work at banks, how will these layoffs affect you and your community? If you live in a HOA for example and 10% (?) of the owners need to sell how will this impact you? If you live in a community that has a high rate of foreclosures for sale...that's not a good thing. What are your thoughts on moving out? If you are self-employed in a business that caters to banking what are your plans for staying or leaving CLT? If you're employed by a company with heavy ties to banking...what are your thoughts?

In summary, how dire is the situation for those people that don't make it into the "B of A and Wachovia news" each day? Will Charlotte experience perhaps more people leaving than coming? Is that possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 06:54 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,945 times
What would you define as a high percentage already having been laid off? It's been coming in drips and drabs, but there are still tens of thousands employed in banking in CLT. That will change a bit, but no one knows the direct impact yet. As far as indirect impact, there will obviously be a lot...but I guess one question to consider is where people would go? Especially for homeowners, picking up and moving isn't exactly easy. And states with fairly good employment numbers are in places like the Dakotas and Alaska, with mostly lower paying jobs and cold weather. I think that the relatively low cost of living and good weather/quality of life will continue to draw people, regardless of the job situation. May not be the influx of past years, but I don't see the region having a net loss.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Living in Kannapolis is like "banking? what banking?" No one here works in banking (well, few people) and I doubt the bankers come out this way much!

Now... if NASCAR goes under we may have problems!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,463 times
One of my children goes to a "banking" school in that many children who go there have parents in the banking industry. A teacher recently told me that many kids are stressed as they don't know if they will be coming back next year as they might have to move. they are also worried because their parents are worried.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
One of my children goes to a "banking" school in that many children who go there have parents in the banking industry. A teacher recently told me that many kids are stressed as they don't know if they will be coming back next year as they might have to move. they are also worried because their parents are worried.
I never thought of this.Actually, this was was the kind of insight I was looking for...to understand the total impact of this crisis on communities.
Thanks.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
John, some of the churches in the area have started services to help with resumes, job interviewing skills, networking and counseling. So that is one way the community is reaching out. Anyone seeking the help does not have to be a member of the churches offering these free services.

Also, I am hearing from the mental health community that layoffs and job cuts are affecting marriages, as well as stress w/ children as SMClarke mentioned. The problem is - a lot of mental health benefits people have had in the past were tied into their company's EAP. Now they don't have that benefit and so are looking for counseling but don't have $$ to pay for it.

I have always had a lawn service - not to do the actual landscaping but to do fertilizing and weed control, aeration, etc. The service people told me last month that they are laying off and have already lost about half their business, and expect it to continue to go down unless they can reach new customers. So these types of businesses are also suffering. Housekeepers are getting the ax . . . one of my friends is a dental hygienist and she says they are cutting back on office staff and cutting hours as well, b/c business has gone way down at the dental practice.

My hubby got new glasses last month and we were told the purchase of new glasses is way down, as many people evidently were using vision insurance and no longer have it. That company is offering a straight discount off the top of their prices for anyone w/o vision insurance to try to capture more business.

I think that basically, people are putting off some purchasers and even healthcare issues are being deferred, wh/ is very worrisome.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My hubby got new glasses last month and we were told the purchase of new glasses is way down, as many people evidently were using vision insurance and no longer have it. That company is offering a straight discount off the top of their prices for anyone w/o vision insurance to try to capture more business.

I think that basically, people are putting off some purchasers and even healthcare issues are being deferred, wh/ is very worrisome.
Ani, I went out to look for new frames, knowing that I needed a minor correction of my lenses. I've gotten frames at Lenscrafters for years & when I went to see what they had, they have a deal for 50% off all lenses with the purchase of frames. No asterisk limiting the offer.

As my lenses are a strange enough perscription that it always has fallen into the exemptions in the past, I jumped on it. I saved a bundle by taking advantage of the sale.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I went out to look for new frames, knowing that I needed a minor correction of my lenses. I've gotten frames at Lenscrafters for years & when I went to see what they had, they have a deal for 50% off all lenses with the purchase of frames. No asterisk limiting the offer.

As my lenses are a strange enough perscription that it always has fallen into the exemptions in the past, I jumped on it. I saved a bundle by taking advantage of the sale.
I think retailers are catching on . . . people who have lost insurance are just not gonna buy new eyeglasses this year unless they find a deal. (Sounds like you found one, btw, LOL!!!!)

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think retailers are catching on . . . people who have lost insurance are just not gonna buy new eyeglasses this year unless they find a deal. (Sounds like you found one, btw, LOL!!!!)
Yup! My lenses never got discounted before. The blank that they use is not a common one & always fell under the exemptions. Plus, I get photogray for my primary glasses, that has to be done out of house (no grinding of glass lenses onsite) I got the 50% off the primary pair & was given a better-than-50% discount on a cheaper (back-up) pair. It worked out that I got the 2nd pair for free, with a slight discount on the more expensive pair (Versace), which will last me forever, barring an acccident.

So if someone needs glasses for more than one family member & can scrape up the money, now is the time to get them.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Read this one a couple of hours ago: Former addicts (drug and alcohol) that reformed and lost their jobs now feel a need to go to therapy weekly or fall off the wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte