Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:13 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,769 times

Advertisements

Ligustrum amurense. Looks like this:

Google Image Result for http://www.hort.net/images/gallery/jpg-wm/ole/ligam00.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Yup.

Amur Privet | Plant Information

Quote:
Amur Privet can be found in Alabama (AL), Arkansas (AR), Kentucky (KY), Maine (ME), Maryland (MD), New Jersey (NJ), New York (NY), North Carolina (NC), Pennsylvania (PA), South Carolina (SC), Tennessee (TN), Texas (TX), Virginia (VA) and West Virginia (WV)

Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Yay! Thank you!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
This is the variety I have grown here. Don't know if this suits your needs or not, but thought I would mention that every time I have used it, the growth has been steady and disease free.

Ligustrum japonicum 'Recurvifolium' - Japanese Privet 'Recurvifolium'

Old 04-12-2009, 01:18 PM

I bet your yard is beautiful, Ani! I am looking for a plant to grow instead of a privacy fence.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Any type of ligustrum I've ever known (but that's not all of them) had a tendency to take over the world if you don't keep clipping it on a regular basis. However, they do make terrific hedges for privacy.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I bet your yard is beautiful, Ani! I am looking for a plant to grow instead of a privacy fence.
SEAPR - I wish I could say my yard is beautiful. Every yard I have had since my 20s, I felt they were beautiful. I work hard to landscape the front and back. Always had separate rose beds, herb beds and lots of interesting foundation plants.

This yard has been a challenge. It had been ignored for a long time, and we have been re-working it for seven seasons now. At this moment, it looks awful in the back and kinda scrappy in the front, as well, LOL! Hubby is out scratching around in one flower bed as I type. I trimmed some shrubbery this morning and will trim some more this evening.

I know exactly what I have in mind and have from Day One, but the soil here has been a challenge. I have never had these types of problems before. We have lost a lot of plants due to the droughts, too. I probably should have sneaked and watered, despite restrictions, LOL!!!

Anyway, I don't have a beautiful yard like I have had in the past, and sometimes it overwhelms me. However, once we do get it all like we want it, the idea has been to keep it low maintenance. That way, whether we keep this house into retirement - or sell it - maintaining the yard will be a snap. It is just that some days . . . I kinda wonder if we will ever reach that goal!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:27 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
I don't know what kind of ligustrum we have, but I wish I could say - as has Ani - that ours has been disease free. We are slowly trying to get rid of ours because it harbors an ugly infestation of mildew every year. For this reason every year we do away with a little more, but have to keep on top of it because an underground runner will pop up near the fallen shrub and we'll have to dig that away. Ours is a light green and white varigated variety with white flowers. I wouldn't plant this type again. Go with whatever Ani has.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I don't know what kind of ligustrum we have, but I wish I could say - as has Ani - that ours has been disease free. We are slowly trying to get rid of ours because it harbors an ugly infestation of mildew every year. For this reason every year we do away with a little more, but have to keep on top of it because an underground runner will pop up near the fallen shrub and we'll have to dig that away. Ours is a light green and white varigated variety with white flowers. I wouldn't plant this type again. Go with whatever Ani has.
Well, I don't have ligustrum at this house. I had it when I lived in Catawba County. And it was on the south side of the house. I wish you did know what type you had b/c if it is mildew prone, that would be good to know. I would hate to advise someone to use a particular variety if it is prone to mildew here. Is yours on the north side of the house, Barb? Or do you think that location has not been a factor?

It is so good to get info firsthand!!!

SEAPR - Barb is the one w/ the beautiful landscaping.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
Ani, you flatter my landscaping. It's really not that beautiful when taken as a whole - lots of places where grass just doesn't seem to grow. Besides that it's not all tied together very well at all. I think what Ani means is that I do have some beautiful plants, but the whole is not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte