Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 32,232 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone can tell me about Lincolnton NC. I am a new teacher from Michigan and my family and I are very interested in moving to North Carolina. I am looking for a small town area that is not too far away from the city but still small enough that people are friendly and are not in such a hurry. Being from Michigan I also love the lakes so this area looks great. Before I make the trip down there I was wondering if anyone could let me know if it is really as good as it looks or is the Raleigh area better. I also am also looking for a place where I houses can be bought in the low 100K. Any input would be greatly appreciated so far I haven't seen anything about this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
I helped a client in Lincolnto about 4 months get a really nice home for around $125K around .75 acres and about 5 years old. The schools get a pretty good grade from what I hear.

Let me know if you need any help.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Hi, my partner lived in that area for over 36 years and he graduated from west lincoln high school in 89. This school has went thru two renovations since as all the high schools in this county (Lincoln County).

The town has court house right in middle of town literally (there is a round about around the building). I find it to have the small town feel yet the amenities that are needed. Good chain and local restaurants. Aunt Bessies off North Aspen St. has great down home country cooking. On the west side is beautiful rolling hills part of the foothills.

If you are looking to be closer to Lake Norman then look towards the east side and Im dividing the city with Highway 321. However the east side property size are smaller in comparison to the west side and house prices are higher than on the west side. (Still some good size land and homes to be found though).

I find people very friendly in that area and courteous. I know at my partners parents house people ride around to each other house on ATV'S and golf carts, not that it remote just there is alot of beautiful quiet land to travel on.

On the flipside it has some modern amenities like a good Lowe's hardware, Harris Teeter is a great clean grocery store chain. And a friendly staff at Staples for your school supplies. They have a teacher appreciation day. A party for just teachers only to come in to shop and mingle with fellow teachers. The office supply manager there Robbie is always friendly, and helpful.

They have cute restaurants in the downtown, City Lunch and Court Street Grill.

The county is filled with lots of historical sites for instance Battle of Ramseur Mill.

Closest mountain is South mountain state park about 30 minutes, Boone within 2 hours up on 321. Lake norman is 25 minutes . Charlotte within 30 minutes. About 5 hours to north carolina beaches on soutern part of the coast line 8 hours to outer banks and 4.5 to Myrtle Beach.

I guess what I like about this city is it hasnt been hit heavy with the charlotte growth and still holds small town feel.

If your a high school teacher try North Lincoln High School (brand new last year) or West Lincoln High School . and my bottom choices are east lincoln and Lincolnton High.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-02-2007 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM

THanks for the information it sounds good so far.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Charlotte and Raleigh are both good areas. But where you're talking about in Lincoln County is a very good area. Homes/taxes are very reasonable. Another place I'd look at is Clover, SC. It's a suburb SW of Charlotte. It has a nice small town feel, but convenient to Charlotte. My brother lives in the area and loves the schools. I have a friend who teaches in the high school there, and she LOVES it! It's a great district. It's near Lake Wylie. You'll get a lot of home for your money and SC taxes are lower than in NC.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM

I am also a bit curios about taxes. I have only paid them in michigan and here we have a state income tax 6% sales tax and property tax. I've just assumed that about what I could excpect down in NC is it fairly similiar.

I also have one last thing. In Michigan we don't have to worry too much about critters and bugs since our artic winter kills them off and drives them away. I lived in Texas for a while and I know that snakes, chiggers, fleas, fire ants and other varios pests can be a problem in places where it does't get too warm. Is this a big problem in the Charlotte Lincoln county area?

Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM

The sales tax of North Carolina is 7.5%
Property tax Lincoln County is .62/100 city .56/100
property tax Mecklenburg Co. .82/100 city .46/100

car insurance rates will be lower in Lincoln County being a rural county.

Gas price is generally close to the national average. If I have chance to go across the border to SC I fill up there. they have less of gas tax.

Here is a great tip when you get the job at the school ask them about NC state exmployess credit union they have better rates on loans, and morgages than commercial banks and you also get higher return on investments.

Critters Yep we got em LOL Have your house and yard exterminated will do the trick. I havent seen a snake in awhile but they do exist depending if you have a place for them to make a home (copper head and water snakes are common) . I keep weeds down and moth balls under the deck.
If you have a lot with trees I would be concern about ticks. Mosquitoes can be a problem in the early evening . A good mosquito candle or deet solves those days.
I never really find critters to be too annoying I guess because I try to keep yard and house well manner to not be a breeding ground for them.

Critters you will enjoy are Red cardinals , occasional blue jay, squirrels, monarch butteryfly.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,857 times
Default Moving to Lincolnton

Hi, I'm looking at some houses this weekend in Lincolnton. I am relocating from NY and need a place for myself and my horses. Any suggestions or comments on the best area. I have read some of the posts and it seems like a nice place!!
Thank you!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 AM

I personally favor the northwest side of the county towards Vale NC Most of the county is beautiful rolling country side but I would lean to the west side of highway 311. Im concern about future growth on the east side even though close to Boger City is still ok.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I personally favor the northwest side of the county towards Vale NC Most of the county is beautiful rolling country side but I would lean to the west side of highway 311. Im concern about future growth on the east side even though close to Boger City is still ok.
Sunny, did you by any chance mean hwy 321? I am not familiar with a hwy 311 in Lincoln county so I am just wondering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte