Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM

158 posts, read 543,826 times

Advertisements

Thank you for suggestion, will try Situl for sure. So far my favorite Indian restaurant in Charlotte is Bombay Grille on Pineville-Mathews Rd. Their samosas are to die for. I think best I have ever tried!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Indeed, lots of specials and coupons out there...buy 1, get one free....buy 1, get one 50% off, etc. We've actually used the Entertainment coupons as a good excuse to try out a bunch of new places - it's how we found Situl.

Trying to support the local restaurants as much as we can these days.
I but the Charlotte entertainment books and they have the buy one entre and get the other free deals for most Indian restauratnts.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Hmm, I have to disagree, I didn't like Situl. We went once and never went back. Sorry!
But that was the buffet, maybe their entrees are better.

I personally think out of all of Charlotte, Bombay Cuisine in the UC area is the best (for buffets).

There's a Pakistani restaurant called Royal Pakistan (the restaurant is attached to the grocery store), their food is really good. For some reason we don't like the meat dishes at Indian restaurants. Their expertise is more for veggie dishes.

But if you want good meat dishes Pakistani restaurants are the way to go. And if you want good veggie dishes Indian restaurants are the way to go.
For some reason, Indian restaurants always tone down for lunch buffets. Most of the food during lunch is bland. People have such a variance in 'hotness' preferences that they maintain the status quo. Dinner (late night meal) orders are more varied. For example, I like vindaloo which is not normally offered at buffets as it is hot. Actually, Indian and Pakinstani receipes are the same for both meats and vegitables. India is mostly Hindi so they mostly eat meat whereas, Pakistanis are Muslim and do eat meat. But, there are still millions of non-vegitarians in India. The preferred meat in these restaurants is lamb. I personally do not like lamb in the form of curries. I prefer chicken dishes altough my wife prefers fish curries. I lived in London for many years where Indian restaurants are as common as Mexican are here. If you go to London, I can give you some good recommendations.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 AM

286 posts, read 1,045,912 times
If anyone makes it out to Situl please post your thoughts on the food!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM

123 posts, read 303,746 times
Try Cafe Nirvana. They have the most authentic taste of Indian food as far as I have had, unlike Maharani which is way too bland (I am Indian). Their weekend buffet is also good and is crowded most of the time.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM

38 posts, read 116,052 times
Smile clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Many Indians are Hindi and are vegetarians.
hi folks,
just to clarify hindi is just a language (one of the many languages in india) and hindu is indentifying a person of hinduism faith(like christian and christianity)

by the way i eat at the following buffets
nirvana--better than good. buffet and dishes that are spicy more south indian taste
namaste--good. prefer week end buffet
bombay--good
jaipur good.
maharani--average
the others so so nothing to recollect worth recommending
i have not tasted outside charlotte area

Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I lived in London for many years where Indian restaurants are as common as Mexican are here.
First of all vindaloo, your name is not lost on me.

I too, lived in London for years and I would equate the Indian Restaurants there to BBQ ones here. Lots of them, mostly dives, and the best looked the worst.

While the restaurant in Cornelius is good, most Indian Restaurants in the US are WAY TOO FANCY. The one in the UC area comes to mind.

As soon as I heard, about "don't let looks bother you," I had a pang, I am sure that is where I would want to eat. Most of the GREAT (both quality and price considered) Indian restaurants in London were holes in the wall. We both worked late and literally ate Indian 5 plus nights a week, back in the day.

Used to eat at one in south London, that had a big picture from The Times blown up of Lady Di, prior to marriage, running past it to escape press, on the way to work. Cool

No longer live in Charlotte but miss eating out, but we have gotten pretty good at cooking our own. Even brought a small, but effective tandoor back from the UK, but alas, it has not survived all the moves.

By the way, I would NEVER eat a buffet there, or anywhere. Just not happening at a buffet.

lln

Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,589 times
Jaipur is my favorite in the area. Great service, great price, very yummy food.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,553,108 times
What's their health inspection rating?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM

172 posts, read 535,917 times
Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department

I've been to Situl actually...it was really really good!! like the OP said, we were the only table in there..their chutney is to die for! service was great..food was great..I'll definitely be back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte