Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times

Advertisements

Is there any reason that anyone on this forum would be compelled to suggest
moving to CLT is a good move? Why is it in anyone's interest to suggest it?

Strange question? I don't think so. Really, what does one gain by recommending to someone that is struggling with high taxes, and all the rest of the problems of living in Long Island NY, for example,to move to Charlotte?

Just curious.
je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Is there any reason that anyone on this forum would be compelled to suggest
moving to CLT is a good move? Why is it in anyone's interest to suggest it?

Strange question? I don't think so. Really, what does one gain by recommending to someone that is struggling with high taxes, and all the rest of the problems of living in Long Island NY, for example,to move to Charlotte?

Just curious.
je

John, there are great reasons for people to move to Charlotte - but not everyone will have all those "reasons" going for them, so it's not for everyone. Which is no big deal - Hawaii wouldn't be for me, though to some that would be heavan on earth

IF you have a job opportunity
IF you want to live in a family oriented, less flashy city
IF you love the outdoors
IF you are looking for a great spiritual home
IF you like to be very involved in your community
IF you like having friendly neighbors (believe it or not, some people don't!)
IF you have a business and can bring work to some of our displaced white collar workers...

THEN please, please come to Charlotte! But DO come with an attitude of what YOU can bring to the mix.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 PM

129 posts, read 404,132 times
My family came here because of job opportunities a few years back, if it wasn't for family I would be far far away from Charlotte right now. I should be out west(Cali or AZ) in about a year or two though. The one thing I really like about Charlotte is that people seem alot less rowdy as compared to the people up north like in Ohio/Pa/New York.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
I think it REALLY just depends on the situation. I've gained a lot by moving here.

1. Paid off all credit card debt (lower cost of living)
2. Going to grad school practically free (lower tuition costs than IL, out-of-state tuition waived)
3. Able to afford house & have fun fixing it up
4. Sanity (nicer people, lower population density, peace, quiet, darkness)
5. 20 fewer days per year spent in my car (almost 500 LESS hours per year spent commuting in bumper-to-bumper traffic)
6. Better access to wilderness to spend my free time!

Granted, most people aren't in my family's situation. But some are. No reason to discourage people that are moving here with steady work!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Well, let me clear this up a bit. I'm not asking about all the good things about CLT. I know. I'm not asking why you moved to Charlotte. What I am asking is,why do we, as forum members, encourage OTHER people to come here?

What do we care about sharing CLT with other people? Now, before I go down as the big bad wolf, think about my question please. What will it mean to you to convert another person to living in Charlotte?

Poster comes on board and says" I'm thinking about moving to Charlotte or Selma". So? What would you like to know? We then spend 13 pages of conversation telling this guy to go to NC and not Ala. For what reason?

Again, only curious.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Loves pretty well summed up my thoughts.

This is just not the best time to be moving here, unless you are an entrepreneur or are moving with a transfer or a job offer that you feel very certain is w/ a stable company.

For an entrepreneur - we have a very qualified workforce. With the high unemployment, that means there are people looking for jobs w/ terrific backgrounds and experience to bring to a business. Now that is an asset that usually costs a business a lot of money. So one can bypass all the recruiters and advertising out of state - and advertise locally and be assured of "cream of the crop" applicants. That just doesn't always happen.

For that reason, I hope corporations will consider either starting businesses here or relocating their headquarters to our region. So I would definitely encourage people to come and check out what we have to offer if they are business owners, entrepreneurs or execs thinking about relocating a corporation's headquarters.

As far as moving to escape taxes and high costs of housing . . . I just don't think that is good enuff a reason to come here. It seems rather like an empty shell. Unless that shell can be filled with meaningful pursuits - it will collapse. There are so many things that people may miss if they are leaving for financial reasons and not b/c they love this area.

Leaving family, familiarity, friends, favorite restaurants, shopping . . . and even such things as your doc and dentist - all those things can end up taking a big toll on people (and marriages). Then you add kids into the mix and the adjustment may be quite a challenge - and may end up being simply a bad move. I always worry when I hear someone say - we moved for cheaper housing and taxes (and to escape winters). Those are real reasons . . . but they may not compensate for cultural and social differences that people often encounter.

My thought is - if you are coming b/c you visited here and "fell in love" - then go for it! Of course, we have all had situations w/ a job transfer - and we just make the best of things. Hopefully, most people who come here can eventually find their niche - cause moving and not feeling at home after the move is truly a horrible situation to deal with.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM

I need to re-think as to how to post my question b/c I am not getting my point across. Sorry. My fault as I am not communicating properly.

Re-state later or discuss it at the re-union.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Well, I encouraged my parents to move here. They are retired and stimulate the economy once ina while.....

Is that ok?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Well, I encouraged my parents to move here. They are retired and stimulate the economy once ina while.....

Is that ok?
Now, that makes sense. This is what I was trying to ask/state. (reasons we would promote people moving here.) Not why we move/d here. More like what's in it for us to promote moving here.
Jack has one answer.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 PM

206 posts, read 514,473 times
Default Retirees

I know 2 fairly young retirees who I am encouraging to move to Charlotte because:

1. Their pensions and other retirement assets will go farther than if they remain in NY.
2. They will have have the ability to be mortgage free in a newer home with less maintenance.
3. They can travel the world like they want to with more extra dollars in their pockets.
4. They are devot Christians and will fit right in here.
5. They will enjoy better weather and spend more time outdoors walking and excercising - which should enhance their health and longevity.

Plus (for selfish reasons) they are my friends and I miss them and would love to have them close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte