Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,339 times

Advertisements

Rylan homes has many subdivisions in the Charlotte area. Rylan is the first homebuilder to report this quarter. As in the past they reported bad finacials for the housing industry. I guess the bottoming of the market that many realtors saw just did not materialize. New homes closed dropped for 3554 units Q1 2006 to 2302 units Q1 2007 . Cancelation rates still at 28% . Rylan will post a loss of $0.5 to $0.6 per share. Wow, wonder what will happen to the numbers when the sub-prime effects are reported next month. Looks like its still a good time to lease a home until things come closer to a bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 10:35 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,537 times
Ryland is a builder that builds homes all over the country. Are those numbers for the NC market or are they stats for all of their locations combined? Just curious because I read a snippet from an article a couple weeks ago that said that even though most of the country is hurting the Charlotte housing market seems to be growing slow and steady and is a healthy market despite what most of teh country is feeling.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Thumbs up I'm not a realtor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Ryland is a builder that builds homes all over the country. Are those numbers for the NC market or are they stats for all of their locations combined? Just curious because I read a snippet from an article a couple weeks ago that said that even though most of the country is hurting the Charlotte housing market seems to be growing slow and steady and is a healthy market despite what most of teh country is feeling.
Good point Neoflex. Those sound like national numbers. The housing markets in Charlotte and Raleigh both seem to be relatively unaffected by all the bad news lately coming from the national builders. This does not surprise me at all since these two metros didn't see the explosive appreciation in home values like other regions between 2001 to 2005. Homes continue to be steadily and modestly appreciating in desireable locations here in Raleigh and in Charlotte from what I have been seeing. Nice modest appreciation is the key to the sustainability of the market.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Actually, two big home builders that reported in the past 6 weeks claimed they saw slowdowns in the Carolinas. I will look for the article.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 PM

I think slow downs of new construction isn't necessicarily a bad thing at all. There are plenty of resales available for purchase. If and when the supply of resales becomes limited I'm sure a developer will be more than Happy to start building again. In the meantime, I am happy to see more people purchasing resales or moving into downtown urban redevelopment projects that will bolster the thriving downtowns of these two metros.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think slow downs of new construction isn't necessicarily a bad thing at all. There are plenty of resales available for purchase. If and when the supply of resales becomes limited I'm sure a developer will be more than Happy to start building again. In the meantime, I am happy to see more people purchasing resales or moving into downtown urban redevelopment projects that will bolster the thriving downtowns of these two metros.

I'm looking forward to an upswing in resales. We have some beautiful homes for sale in the Charlotte area and people should take a serious look at them before going to new construction.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Dont' forget all the foreclosures. I travel out to the Cottswald and 7 street areas alot for business. I am starting to see price reduced signs in the homes there that were recently remodeled. I am also surprised at how long some of those have been on the market.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:20 PM

I'm sorry to see anybody lose their home, especially those that got caught up in the sub-prime lending fiasco, but any increase in foreclosures will ultimately help fill any void left by any slowdown in new constrcution. Again, I think resales are a great option for people looking to buy a home.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM

476 posts, read 1,575,853 times
Bumping... I think this thread could be very helpful to some folks.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,655 times
Red face New construction v. resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm sorry to see anybody lose their home, especially those that got caught up in the sub-prime lending fiasco, but any increase in foreclosures will ultimately help fill any void left by any slowdown in new constrcution. Again, I think resales are a great option for people looking to buy a home.
I think it really depends on what you're looking for as to whether you buy new or a resale. The resale that we purchased was a nightmare! My two new constructions have been in much better shape, up to current building codes, and also have a warranty behind them that the builder fixes the repairs, some builders obviously better at warranty than others. I also like picking little things out like ceiling fans, blinds, etc. as opposed to buying a resale and replacing them. I find new constructions are typically blank canvases and more appealing than most resales. My husband is out of town frequently and Centex offers a 2 year warranty, so we like new v. the resale. Also, when we're ready to move, we need to do it in a hurry. We can't wait for a homeowner to get out of the home, so new construction just seems to work better for us. When we looked at the Charlotte area, there were 2 vacant resales and a whole bunch new for immediate occupancy. It depends on your lifestyle. On the flip side, I like resales to sell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte