Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM

56 posts, read 160,942 times

Advertisements

I'm going crazy . . . why didn't kids come with an instruction book??

My son was a freshman this year at PHS and hated it . . cliques, bad teachers . . . even bad food . . . and he's in all honors classes . . .

My daughter just graduated from Carmel Christian and LOVED it. Most of her friends are going to Covenant Day. But since we are Catholic I had them both shadow at Catholic . . but they hated it . . they said the kids never get to go outside and the kids were very disrespectful to their teachers . . .

Are my kids being too picky? Should I even let them decide . . ?? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svross View Post

My son was a freshman this year at PHS and hated it . . cliques, bad teachers . . . even bad food . . . and he's in all honors classes . . .

My daughter just graduated from Carmel Christian and LOVED it. Most of her friends are going to Covenant Day. But since we are Catholic I had them both shadow at Catholic . . but they hated it . . they said the kids never get to go outside and the kids were very disrespectful to their teachers . . .

Are my kids being too picky? Should I even let them decide . . ?? Advice?
Even a "great" school won't always be great for every single kid. Find the place your kids are comfortable - trust their instincts

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svross View Post

My son was a freshman there also and kind of liked it but you are correct there are cliques (he didn't get invited to join any LOL), drugs (yes he was able to get drugs there - different issue that we dealt with), bad teachers (especially some of the language ones), bad food - he hates the food there, thieves (apparently rampant). We looked at Catholic as he had been in the Catholic system for elementary. He has friends there but says that Catholic is worse than PHS for it's drug problem so I feel for you as we are dealing with the same thing.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Some of the same problems will be in every school, so do not think a certain school will 100% fix all of these issues.

But there are more excellent private schools in the area (Charlotte Christian, Providence Day, Latin, Country Day)...

Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I have friends with kids at both Providence and Catholic and I have heard that drugs are rampant at both schools. I have found that private schools tend to have more drugs (more $$/more drugs) but Providence kids seem to have alot of $$ too. It was that way even back when I was in school. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM

240 posts, read 732,163 times
Smile Ardrey Kell

my daughter is nearing the end of her Freshmen year and she loves it at AK.
School is very academically competitive.
We just got a new Principal and i am most impressed with him as he has not tried to change things that our last (and wonderful) Principal instilled in the school.
Mr Peters is outside the front door everyday greeting the kids and parents.
Seems like a really personable type.

I think AK may be one of the few HIGH SCHOOLS with a lock-out policy.
Not like they need it but, it is there to make sure the teachers get to start their classes with everyone in the room. They don't need interruptions from students coming in late.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,487 times
Default Covenant Day School

Covenant Day School is one of the finest, most affordable private Christian schools in the Charlotte area. Call the school for a private tour...you'll see the difference that warm, caring staff and engaged teachers make!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte