Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 AM

103 posts, read 144,352 times

Advertisements

Wow, and people wonder why all the college idiots voted for Obama. White flight is not the blame. You blame the people who actually EARNED the money for wanting to keep it. How criminal! White flight didnt wreck these cities, liberal redistribution of wealth programs did. The role of a city government is to take a little from EVERYBODY to pay for services that people could not pay for on their own. I wonder how many of the, well, non-white flighters actually pay for what they are getting. This is why suburbs became popular. The wealth creators and taxpayers got sick of having their taxes increased to pay for those who neither create wealth nor pay taxes.

There is you urban planning education right there. Tell Pratt University you want your money back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganite22 View Post
Wow, and people wonder why all the college idiots voted for Obama. White flight is not the blame. You blame the people who actually EARNED the money for wanting to keep it. How criminal! White flight didnt wreck these cities, liberal redistribution of wealth programs did. The role of a city government is to take a little from EVERYBODY to pay for services that people could not pay for on their own. I wonder how many of the, well, non-white flighters actually pay for what they are getting. This is why suburbs became popular. The wealth creators and taxpayers got sick of having their taxes increased to pay for those who neither create wealth nor pay taxes.

There is you urban planning education right there. Tell Pratt University you want your money back.
You're confused... As so many natives will tell you, the "real money" is in the city of Charlotte. They will point this out time and time again poking fun at suburban sprawl. I will tell you I nearly choked on my coffee when I read "wealth creators and taxpayers" - I mean... seriously?! wow

I agree with the graduate from Pratt.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

Where did you get this? Obviously not from history class, or any other class. Did you ever hear of white flight before this thread? You could google it & get some information.

Time to turn off Rush & crack open some history books about post-WWII America.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You're confused... As so many natives will tell you, the "real money" is in the city of Charlotte. They will point this out time and time again poking fun at suburban sprawl. I will tell you I nearly choked on my coffee when I read "wealth creators and taxpayers" - I mean... seriously?! wow

I also agree with what is being taught at Pratt.

The real money (old money) is in Charlotte. There is also some in Gastonia, & Kings Mountain.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
No problem with a "race day" tax. Tax the ones that benefit from it. We in Charlotte should tax the ones that benefit from Charlotte with legal anexation . Those who work here and yet dont own property here pay very little compared to those who do....The day workers needs to pay up.Let cabarrus county create any kind of tax they want to because afterall they cant tax in Mecklenburg and Meckleburg has no right to impose any taxes THERE.
So if everyone who worked in Charlotte had to live in Charlotte then the same would apply to all other cities - right?
Wouldn't provide a very mobile workforce and ultimately every city, but especially Charlotte , would suffer.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,689 times
People can live wherever they want. If they want to drive an hour to work in Charlotte, that's their choice. But if they decide to live conveniently near the Charlotte city limits, and other folks also move in, creating an urbanized extension of the physical city, they shouldn't be surprised and complain when they're annexed.

Charlotte can't annex forever. It's sphere of influence is limited by agreements with surrounding cities and towns regarding who can annex what. People who move into or live in Charlotte's sphere of influence should expect to get annexed eventually. This is healthy for Charlotte, and the whole area.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrattGrad2012 View Post
I use to question why cities annex areas and now that I am a first year city and urban planning grad student at Pratt University in NYC, I now understand why cities have to be able to do this. Most of my professors agree that NC has 2 of the most fiscally healthy cities in the nation, Charlotte and Raleigh. And they(my professors) said if these cities had the inability to grow by annexation then in 10-15 yrs, Charlotte and Raleigh would soon look like Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland and many of those older cities that are decaying. So don't think that annexation is just a way to grow, it is a life line for these cities.
Oh my....

I'd say you need to find another school. If you got this from your professor then he is either a very bad professor or you are a very bad student. First and foremost, it's simply impossible to make sweeping generalizations about annexation. These are governed by state laws and even local laws and are radically different across this county. Even here in the Charlotte metro, how a city annexes is vastly different between NC & SC due to what the state allows. An urban planning course ought to have said this. It's basic like breathing air.

Second, there are no parallels to the fall and ruin of Northern industrial cities and post war development of Sun Belt cities. Sun Belt cities had no "White Flight" because 1. Native Whites & Blacks learned generations ago how to live with each other because they had to and 2. Sun Belt cities are indeed surrounded by suburbs full of people seeking to avoid the issues of the cities, but these places are populated by people who moved here from the ruins of the North. They headed to the suburbs because this is what they did up North and/or they were looking for cheap but unsustainable living in Truman Show-esk make believedom developments. There will be some historical studies of this one day too, but I digress.

In Charlotte's case annexation, since 1996 (big specific state law change for Mecklenburg), to control development so that when the city is not stuck with overloaded roads when the city takes over. Note this is still a huge issue in the surrounding counties. As further proof, Atlanta has been one of the fast growing metros in this country in the last 50 years, yet due to state laws, the actual city of Atlanta is not able to annex much of this metro at all. It's city population is smaller than Charlotte yet the metro is 5X as large. Amazing your professor didn't cite this example.

So my advice, is to stop skipping class and pay some attention, or go find another school.

Last edited by yantosh22; 08-07-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 04:17 PM

103 posts, read 144,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Did I say I was writing about Charlotte? I am telling you why white flight occurred in Northern cities. Hence why the people with the money in the metros of Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Syracuse, etc. do not live in those cities; they live in surrounding suburbs. I don't give a rip about Charlotte. This idiot thinks the fact that northern cities can't annex the wealthy suburbs back into the city so the gubment can take more in taxes is a bad thing. That would be a very bad thing.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Did I say I was writing about Charlotte? I am telling you why white flight occurred in Northern cities. Hence why the people with the money in the metros of Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Syracuse, etc. do not live in those cities; they live in surrounding suburbs. I don't give a rip about Charlotte. This idiot thinks the fact that northern cities can't annex the wealthy suburbs back into the city so the gubment can take more in taxes is a bad thing. That would be a very bad thing.
White flight is/was primarily based on race/ethnicity not taxes, and in some cases, creative tax structures were used to subsdize white flight, thereby greatly contributing to urban decay and infrastructure decline. To-date, it's become more "class" flight than white flight, increasing the erosion of a citys tax base/revenue stream.

Southern cities are not as segragated as northern cities, but annexation, in my opinion, is a tool used to control the aforementioned abuse of residents strategically locating on a city's fringes; enjoying a city's amenities while escaping to a make-believe fringe-world that exists without some form of structured-based REVENUE system that provides lifeblood to the city.

I'll side with good professor from Pratt versus "jailhouse" lawyers who've read a few paragraphs online and are now "subject matter experts" on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte