Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 PM

693 posts, read 2,761,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75
Just a quick question about the humidity...is it really THAT bad??
It's a personal preference, but the amount of posts here about humidity in NC seems to be way over the top. It's not really a big deal for most people. Dry air is also not good for you. It makes your skin dry and age prematurely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 PM

79 posts, read 263,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaramos
My family and I are moving from South Florida to South Carolina. We will be living near Rock Hill, and about 15 minutes from Charlotte. I was actually born there but raised in Florida.

We have a contract on our home and will hopefully be there before the end of july.

When people find out where my family and I are moving to - they say things like
"are you sure you want to move there"
"theres nothing to do there"
"you are not going to like it"
"there are no jobs or they dont pay well"

And I reply with this

First of all I CANT NOT AFFORD TO KEEP LIVING HERE IN FLORIDA and we make decent money, furthermore, WHAT DO I DO HERE? I dont go to clubs and just as Florida has bowling, skating, parks, movie theathers, etc they have the same in south carolina, the only difference is I cant afford to do those things here in Florida. If I dont leave here, I am going to end up losing my home. As for the jobs, isn't Florida one of the lowest wage paying states?

So for me and my family, we really have no choice even though we have talked about moving from florida for the past 6 years, almost did it in 2004, but are definetly making the move. I have had people who have moved there from Florida say - It took them awhile to adjust, as I am sure it will us - but there will be no coming back for us as we will not be able to afford it. Others that know including family love it and say they will never return to Florida.

So to those of you that are confused about what people are saying. Everyone is going to give you there opinion. There are some who say they could never leave FLORIDA, there are some who think you are crazy, BUT you must remember - you have to do what is best for you and your family. Are any of these people going to pay your bills - I dont think so, so on that note I guess what I am trying to say is.... Do your research, and dont let anyone discourage you. The worst thing that is going to happen is that you wont like it and you may want to move back where you came from - but at least you will have tried it and wont be wondering what if.

I am just at that point in my life that I am finally ready to get out of here. Ready for a change, and ready to stop paying double and triple just to live in the sunshine state.

Good luck to all of you.

I agree with you 100% but the scarey thing is, i live in New York and was looking to move to FL a yr. and a half ago. After taking several trips down there we decided against it, mostly because of the school systems. Now it seems funny to hear everyone bailing out of FL because of the high cost of living there, thats one reason we are leaving NY, the skyrocketed and still skyrocketing cost of living. We bought a house further north in Clayton,NC and we can't wait to get there, we are waiting to go to closing on our house here. I am leaving a good job here, but i fear the job will leave me in the next 10 yrs or so and it will probably be at the worst time of our lives, so we are making a pre-emptive strike and just going for-it. Things always sort them selves out in the long run.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:27 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67
I agree with you 100% but the scarey thing is, i live in New York and was looking to move to FL a yr. and a half ago. After taking several trips down there we decided against it, mostly because of the school systems. Now it seems funny to hear everyone bailing out of FL because of the high cost of living there, thats one reason we are leaving NY, the skyrocketed and still skyrocketing cost of living. We bought a house further north in Clayton,NC and we can't wait to get there, we are waiting to go to closing on our house here. I am leaving a good job here, but i fear the job will leave me in the next 10 yrs or so and it will probably be at the worst time of our lives, so we are making a pre-emptive strike and just going for-it. Things always sort them selves out in the long run.
I'm with you as well. We're leaving Long Island because of the ridiculous high cost of living, not to mention the real estate and taxes alone. We're also doing it for other reasons but at least we know that we are leaving on our terms and not being faced in the future with being forced off of Long Island because it's no longer affordable. We're moving within the next month or so. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:37 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,564 times
[ but i fear the job will leave me in the next 10 yrs or so and it will probably be at the worst time of our lives, so we are making a pre-emptive strike and just going for-it. Things always sort them selves out in the long run.[/quote]

I think a lot people have this fear here on LI, there is not alot of new jobs and many are leaving to either go out of state (mostly mid-west from the co's I know) and upstate NY...Jobs will always be in the city - certain businesses always need a presence there, but many too are living due to the high cost of doing business...it is very difficult to know where the future lies for any one area...LI and NYC will also have a certain amt of those with money that will stay, its the middle class that is being forced out..unfortunately a lot of people here took the equity out of their homes to redo them and since real estate have dropped 3-5%, they owe more then their house is worth. I imagine in the next year there will be a correction and house prices here on LI will still rise but not the double and triple figures we saw prior years...

Not only the taxes but those of you on LI have the ever increasing LIPA increases...these two things alone hurt the budget that even with a salary increase...it barely covers the costs of these increases, how can one ever get ahead?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:07 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
its the middle class that is being forced out..unfortunately a lot of people here took the equity out of their homes to redo them and since real estate have dropped 3-5%, they owe more then their house is worth. I imagine in the next year there will be a correction and house prices here on LI will still rise but not the double and triple figures we saw prior years...
It seems the drop was the correction IMO. There's going to be room for more of it too. I agree with you, the people who will really be hurt the most are those that bought within the last few years, pulled out the increased equity and now see that it's worth less than what their mortgage reflects. I guess if you don't want to move it's (somewhat) ok, but if you want to move it's sort of a trap as you have not choice to be eat the loss.

My question, the negative equity a big problem in LI? My guess it's a silent big problem.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:56 PM

8 posts, read 31,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaramos
AwayfromFL - I agree with you on that, and at least we will experience a change of season...

Where are you located in Florida? I am in the Pembroke Pines/Fort Lauderdale Area. Actually I was born in Lancaster South Carolina but my parents moved to Florida when I was 10 years old, so basically I grew up here in Florida, but have always longed to go back "home".

Are looking to move to North Carolina or South Carolina. I have read and heard that alot of people from North Carolina are moving into South Carolina to avoid the higher tax rate.
Hi Sheilaramos - I live in Tampa. My husband and I actually bit the bullet and are buying a home in Charlotte. We were considering SC, but my realtor and a few other people there told me that you get hit with taxes from both NC and SC if you live in SC but work in NC, which would be my situation. So we found a house that we liked in the Steele Creek area.

I am also looking forward to the season changing. When will you be relocating? Have you decided on NC or SC?

Old 07-14-2006, 12:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
It's a personal preference, but the amount of posts here about humidity in NC seems to be way over the top. It's not really a big deal for most people. Dry air is also not good for you. It makes your skin dry and age prematurely
Love it! I can hardly wait to use that the next time someone asks me about the humidity!

Old 02-10-2007, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,275 times
Cindy,
Charlotte is the place. South Florida is too over crowded, rude and has horrible schools. The cost of living is so much better as well.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,979 times
Red face Pembroke Pines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaramos View Post
AwayfromFL - I agree with you on that, and at least we will experience a change of season...

Where are you located in Florida? I am in the Pembroke Pines/Fort Lauderdale Area. Actually I was born in Lancaster South Carolina but my parents moved to Florida when I was 10 years old, so basically I grew up here in Florida, but have always longed to go back "home".

Are looking to move to North Carolina or South Carolina. I have read and heard that alot of people from North Carolina are moving into South Carolina to avoid the higher tax rate.
I used to live in Pembroke Pines, can't say I blame you~

Old 02-11-2007, 09:55 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,979 times
Red face Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayfromFL View Post
Hi Sheilaramos - I live in Tampa. My husband and I actually bit the bullet and are buying a home in Charlotte. We were considering SC, but my realtor and a few other people there told me that you get hit with taxes from both NC and SC if you live in SC but work in NC, which would be my situation. So we found a house that we liked in the Steele Creek area.

I am also looking forward to the season changing. When will you be relocating? Have you decided on NC or SC?
In addition to Pembroke Pines, I used to live in Tampa, Riverview actually... In a way I miss it, in a way, I don't. I think FL is good for singles, young couples, retirees but no place to raise a family, not that we have one but moved for the husband's job. I don't personally believe that Charlotte is much cheaper than Tampa. Yes, taxes, insurance, x-mas trees, and diesel oil changes, but every thing else will probably cost you more... My husband seems to think crime is about the same in Charlotte and Tampa.

Someone posted about finding a job, you need to do your research before moving. Keep an eye on Monster, Hotjobs, Charlotte Observer, etc. and see if there are jobs in your field. I've heard the "mar-com" field is virtually non-existent here. But that's the only thing I've heard bad...

I've lived outside of (NC) Winston-Salem and Asheville, and (FL) Pembroke Pines and Tampa, and I've never had an issue finding a job. I haven't job hunted here in Charlotte because I'm currently a college student. But the legal field is in virtually every city, state, and town, so it's not hard for me to find a job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte