Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

Good women's clothing can be donated to a shelter/mission who train women for jobs. They always need professional clothing for job interviews and then the job itself. And I'm sure there are groups who recycle evening dresses as prom dresses for poor girls. One of the banks sponsored a prom dress give-away last year. You dropped off a clean dress and then on a certain day, girls referred by their schools came and picke dout one they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Isn't it free on Charlotte.com to sell your items if you are not commercial? I always look there too, but I must say I check craigslist first. I have sold a number of items there but I have a "disposable" email address that I use or you can use their email address/number that they give you. I wouldn't put my telephone number on the ad, I would just give it out if somebody emails you. Of course there are scams which include an immediate email saying that that will take your item and that you should take it off craigslist and then there are ones saying that they will send you a cheque for (more than you asked for) x amount of dollars and that you should ship it to this address (usually abroad). They tell you to go ahead and cash the cheque and it usually clears but after you ship the item the cheque bounces and you get nothing. Just watch out for them - these scam artists are clever. Having said all that I think it's a good way of getting rid of something that you don't need and more often than not it's a local sale. Good luck.
Good suggestions!! Maybe I should go that route w/ charlotte.com. I can set up a yahoo addy for just those items I am selling. Thank you so much for the info!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
ebay. it's easy and can be kinda fun. I can help u if u want. as for "evening wear"....don't really know what that is, but what happens if you wear that stuff in the morning?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
I never read the classifieds anymore and have had amazing success selling stuff on Craigslist ranging from $100-$2500.
Occasionally I buy stuff there as well.
So far, never had a deal go bad or met a weirdo.

I quit using eBay, just too much of a hassle, not to mention the fees (seller).

Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
I've sold numerous things through CL and haven't had too many problems. Yes, I get the few emails here and there where they think they just landed themselves the holy grail of freebies if only they could talk you into giving it them ... but, mostly I've had great buyers. It is easier for me to weed out the tire kickers via email than phone calls.
Thanx, Chance! I am thinking - use a two prong approach - charlotte.com and craig's list and see how that goes. Plus, I would much rather deal with email. Appreciate hearing your success - makes me less concerned about selling some stuff.

I have a garage to clean out!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I'm with the other people who post on CL and communicate only by email until you reach the "serious offers."

Otherwise, most of the things that I think would be sellable at $50 or less I just donate or Freecycle. Not worth the hassle to try and sell.
I agree - it is so easy to just donate stuff. Freecycle is a great organization. Typically, I donate stuff to the Kidney Foundation. I also drop off at Goodwill when I am in a hurry - we have a drop off nearby.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Good women's clothing can be donated to a shelter/mission who train women for jobs. They always need professional clothing for job interviews and then the job itself. And I'm sure there are groups who recycle evening dresses as prom dresses for poor girls. One of the banks sponsored a prom dress give-away last year. You dropped off a clean dress and then on a certain day, girls referred by their schools came and picke dout one they wanted.
Yes, I supported a women's shelter in Kansas City by donating all my clothing there. I probably should check things out better here and find out what groups would specifically want women's clothing, as you are right - a lot of this stuff would be career wear.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have thought about using eBay but the fees and setting things up . . . I considered taking the "easy way out" and letting a broker do it for me. I have been told there is a company here in CLT where you can drop off your stuff and they actually do all the listings . . . I need to check that and see what the fees are and if it is actually worth it.

I have some evening wear, for example, but don't know that anyone is even interested in that sort of thing these days, LOL!! In the past, I have given away some expensive clothing and I have wondered - would someone pay for this stuff? Then there are household items . . .

Keeping up w/ the auctions and then packaging stuff for shipping . . . I have known people who are successful with ebay! I just don't know that I want to work that hard to sell this stuff, Hee Hee. Getting money back is a GOOD THING, tho!!!
I haven't had much luck selling Craiglist, but I have done alot of transactions on Ebay (over 100). Once you get acct set up it is easy, so the grunt work is getting account established, probably open a Paypal acct so buyers can do immediate payment. I've bought 2 cars and sold 2 cars on Ebay, sold my pool table. I would sell a TV on Ebay and just list it as "local pickup" that way you don't have to deal with shipping. I find small items are easy to sell w/shipping, bigger ticket items, large stuff the buyer must arrange for pickup. I bought both cars out of Oklahoma and someone drove 400 miles to pickup my pool table. The problem with classified ads is you are exposed to limited market area (and fees are kinda steep), much larger exposure w/Ebay. Who would have thought 20 yrs ago that a used car dealer in OK could market and sell a car to someone in NC...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
ebay. it's easy and can be kinda fun. I can help u if u want. as for "evening wear"....don't really know what that is, but what happens if you wear that stuff in the morning?
LOL! If you wear it in the morning, you are probably gonna look like you are doing the Walk of Shame!!!!

Eman - you are so kind . . . if I decide to sell some small things on Ebay, I will be calling on you for step by step instructions!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I never read the classifieds anymore and have had amazing success selling stuff on Craigslist ranging from $100-$2500.
Occasionally I buy stuff there as well.
So far, never had a deal go bad or met a weirdo.

I quit using eBay, just too much of a hassle, not to mention the fees (seller).
Now, that is encouraging about CL. The fees are one of the reasons I hesitate to get involved in Ebay - altho I certainly have bought things f/ Ebay over the years. Hubby just broke three plates, a bowl and a glass this morning (luckily, he wasn't cut) so I will be on Ebay sometime this week trying to replace the items!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte