Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM

144 posts, read 404,044 times

Advertisements

Is anyone a member of Planet Fitness, specifically the one on Sardis Rd? Do they have weight benches and free weights? what about power racks for squats and what not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
I'm a member of Planet Fitness, but not the one on Sardis. Why don't you just swing in there and see what they have/don't have? The one on S. Tryon has all that you mentioned, but I can't speak to any other locations.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Planet Fitness Gyms are in much of the country and growing in locations like no health club I have ever seen. With that said they may or may not be for you.

Reason being If you are a hard core weightlifter use to a large assortment of heavy weights, this gym is not for you. Planet Fitness concept is to be a non intimidating gym that caters to people new to exercise and for those that have worked out but looking for a more casual workout now. Its not that one cannot get a good workout there, they can but weights are limited.

There are no squat racks and only a few weight benches. There are limited weight plates, I assume to keep people from being able to load on the plates. Dumbells are limited to 60 to 80lbs at the heaviest. There are a number of weight machines such as leg presses etc. Rules are strict at this gym. No grunting and a number of other rules to numerous to type here.

I suggest if you don't want to visit a location they are pretty much all the same if not identical, to go on the reviews. Just pull up Planet Fitness and you can read about them and all the comments people have written. They are a good gym its cheap about $10 a month and I would recommend them definitely. One can certainly get a decent workout there as well as tons of cardio equip. Again though I would not recommend them for the real serious weightlifter used to tons of heavy weights, there just not at the Planet Fitness locations.

You have to be comfortable with the gym you choose and make sure it meets your needs. Check out several different gyms before committing. I don't think Planet Fitness has a contract like Bally's and such. Also if there is Bally's there be careful, they are in bankrupcy and coincidentally are closing many locations starting this week all over the country. If you have Golds Gym there and I think you do, check them out also. I think they are one of the better gyms at least where I have been. Good Luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 AM

144 posts, read 404,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Planet Fitness Gyms are in much of the country and growing in locations like no health club I have ever seen. With that said they may or may not be for you.

Reason being If you are a hard core weightlifter use to a large assortment of heavy weights, this gym is not for you. Planet Fitness concept is to be a non intimidating gym that caters to people new to exercise and for those that have worked out but looking for a more casual workout now. Its not that one cannot get a good workout there, they can but weights are limited.

There are no squat racks and only a few weight benches. There are limited weight plates, I assume to keep people from being able to load on the plates. Dumbells are limited to 60 to 80lbs at the heaviest. There are a number of weight machines such as leg presses etc. Rules are strict at this gym. No grunting and a number of other rules to numerous to type here.

I suggest if you don't want to visit a location they are pretty much all the same if not identical, to go on the reviews. Just pull up Planet Fitness and you can read about them and all the comments people have written. They are a good gym its cheap about $10 a month and I would recommend them definitely. One can certainly get a decent workout there as well as tons of cardio equip. Again though I would not recommend them for the real serious weightlifter used to tons of heavy weights, there just not at the Planet Fitness locations.

You have to be comfortable with the gym you choose and make sure it meets your needs. Check out several different gyms before committing. I don't think Planet Fitness has a contract like Bally's and such. Also if there is Bally's there be careful, they are in bankrupcy and coincidentally are closing many locations starting this week all over the country. If you have Golds Gym there and I think you do, check them out also. I think they are one of the better gyms at least where I have been. Good Luck.
Thanks for your detailed response. I am probably going to take a peek in there but I wanted to see if I got any responses to see if it was even worth it. I'm not a body builder or anything but I need to use free weights and weight benches because I have never been able to use the weight machines. I'm not too worried about cardio since I just use the nature trails for that.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbanana2002 View Post
Thanks for your detailed response. I am probably going to take a peek in there but I wanted to see if I got any responses to see if it was even worth it. I'm not a body builder or anything but I need to use free weights and weight benches because I have never been able to use the weight machines. I'm not too worried about cardio since I just use the nature trails for that.
Then Planet Fitness might be for you. Its certainly cheap enough and has free weights. If one doesn't need 100lb dumbells and tons of 45lb weight plates, its a good workout place. Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM

The one on S. Tryon has at least two, and possibly three squat racks/Smith machines, Jimrob...

No, they don't have a ton of 45 pound plates, but there are never that many really heavy lifters in there when I've been in there, so it doesn't seem like it would be a problem.

I have no idea what the heaviest dumbells are, since I don't go much over 55lbs for any of my dumbell exercises.

Obviously, I'm no bodybuilder/powerlifter.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 28,155 times
I was briefly a member of Planet Fitness on S. Tryon. I thrive on exercise class and thought I could get over that since Planet Fitness doesn't have classes. Also, I was a bit perturbed when I was I couldn't wear a scarf on my head. Supposedly it gives off a notion of an indication being part of a gang, when in reality this is how I keep sweat from my hair from going to my face.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarobi1 View Post
I was briefly a member of Planet Fitness on S. Tryon. I thrive on exercise class and thought I could get over that since Planet Fitness doesn't have classes. Also, I was a bit perturbed when I was I couldn't wear a scarf on my head. Supposedly it gives off a notion of an indication being part of a gang, when in reality this is how I keep sweat from my hair from going to my face.

Wear a headband?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 PM

359 posts, read 592,001 times
I do not work out at planet fitness because I lift weights. I like to squat and deadlift and do some olympic lifts.

You can't do that at PF or your judged and labeled a lunk, even though it's a judgment free zone.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
I do not work out at planet fitness because I lift weights. I like to squat and deadlift and do some olympic lifts.

You can't do that at PF or your judged and labeled a lunk, even though it's a judgment free zone.

Planet Fitness does not sound like a very good place to me. No grunting? It happens sometimes when one is lifting heavy. At times, you just cannot help it.

Sounds more like a place to look pretty rather than get a good workout if they are worried about grunting and wearing a scarf on your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte