Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 AM

162 posts, read 401,136 times

Advertisements

Let's say I'm turning right and I have a green arrow. The car to my right on the street I'm turning onto is making a u-turn (to head in the same direction as me) and also has a green arrow.

Who has to yield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
The car to the right (you) has the right of way unless the u-turn was in progress at the time you got to the intersection. It relates to the law that when more than one person arrives at an intersection at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way, otherwise the person that got there first.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 AM

thanks, I thought that was the case. I've been honked at 4 or 5 times in the past week alone, and I've also almost been hit by someone while in the middle of my u-turn.....they just race up to the intersection and turn

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I see this happen all the time. What's worse is that a lot of times the people turning right don't even have a green arrow. When making a right on red you still have to stop at the light.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM

That's exactly what happens to me- the who has red/green thing.
This morning I had the green right arrow, turned, the guy starting his uturn honked at me.

A LOT of times though- I have to make a u-turn in front of my subdivision to then turn right on my entry road. I have a solid green, the car turning right has a solid red. I go to make my u-turn and it never fails, every single time, the car at the red light turns right and honks at me.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Nearly every major intersection (and some non-major) in town has a "U-Turn Yield to Right Turn" sign.
http://www.tcpsigns.com/images/R10-1...oRightTurn.jpg I guess it's too much to ask for drivers to read, understand, and obey traffic signs.

But then again, 99% of all streets in town have a speed limit sign and people don't obey them either (and they start posts on here telling others to get outta the way). We might as well revert to India-style driving where it's every person for themselves.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Nearly every major intersection (and some non-major) in town has a "U-Turn Yield to Right Turn" sign.
http://www.tcpsigns.com/images/R10-1...oRightTurn.jpg I guess it's too much to ask for drivers to read, understand, and obey traffic signs.

But then again, 99% of all streets in town have a speed limit sign and people don't obey them either (and they start posts on here telling others to get outta the way). We might as well revert to India-style driving where it's every person for themselves.
The ones I notice just say "U-Turn Must Yield" and don't specify to what. I have never seen these outside of NC and the first time I saw them I assumed they meant I had to yield to traffic coming towards me. I still think the U-Turn should have right of way over a right turn on a red light.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Technically, I think they do have ROW over a right on red...as the right on red must yield to everything. I could be wrong. But I've always understood right on red to be more of a privilege, not a right (meaning you can only move if you're not going to impede anyone else).

Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
IF you have a green turn arrow, you have the right of way. U turns must yield the right of way when necessary.

If you are just making a right turn and the other person has a left turn arrow, they must still yield right of way. U turns must always yield right of way when neccessary.

See. Doesn't matter. The only time it would is if you had a red right turn arrow. Then, you shouldn't be turning anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
Let's say I'm turning right and I have a green arrow. The car to my right on the street I'm turning onto is making a u-turn (to head in the same direction as me) and also has a green arrow.

Who has to yield?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
thanks, I thought that was the case. I've been honked at 4 or 5 times in the past week alone, and I've also almost been hit by someone while in the middle of my u-turn.....they just race up to the intersection and turn
That's because u turns must yield. ALWAYS .
WHY? Because from your position, you can't see if I have a 1) green turn arrow 2) red turn arrow 3) red stop light. U turns should always yield. Even when people are being jerks and speeding up as you have started your turn, you should yield. You don't know what right of way instructions they are facing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte