Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times

Advertisements

I find that hard to believe, but here's the link:

Where are the Jobs? | Indeed.com

Maybe they're not all "legitimate" job postings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I find that hard to believe, but here's the link:

Where are the Jobs? | Indeed.com

Maybe they're not all "legitimate" job postings?
As someone who checks Indeed postings daily, I can tell you that they are NOT all legitimate jobs. Many are employment agencies "phishing" for clients. Many are postings by the military (Be All That You Can Be). Right now, the majority of the postings seem to be medical in nature, or have to do with the IT or financial industry. And, frankly, many are just scammy-type opportunities. When a legitimate opportunity comes along, there are so many applicants that many times you NEVER hear another word when you apply. Occasionally, you get the "due to the enormous response, we are unable to respond to every applicant." I just don't think "answering ads" is the BEST way to find a job these days. If ever there were a time to use your network, this is it. Someone is going to have to hand-carry your resume in and say "hire this person," to even get an interview.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
So perhaps Charlotte has the 11th most scammers in the country

Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
So perhaps Charlotte has the 11th most scammers in the country
Thats what I'm thinking. With one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, there are a lot of desperate people out there looking for jobs and are willing to try anything(so the scammers hope).

Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Agree. I have checked several of those ads out myself - just to see if they were agencies doing some phishing. Every last one was a BS ad. Good grief. That trick is the oldest one in the book - when times are tough, keep drumming up potential applicants even if you don't have the jobs. Then if you get interesting resumes, you call whatever companies you think may have job openings (or be considering an expansion) and you try pitching a candidate w/ a cold call to see if you can get in the door - and get a candidate placed - and thus, GET YOUR COMMISSION.

I have dealt w/ many a recruiter who was playing this game (when I was fielding the calls as the employer). It is not even a new game - but the internet allows these companies to phish a much big pool of out of work folks!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Seems that every city posts that the "Post office is hiring" or for traveling models to make big bucks. There are the same bogus ads in every major newspaper.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:35 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Can you guys explain a little more about what you mean when you say these are bogus postings? I just went through the Charlotte link below from that site and I actually thought it was pretty good. Several of the large companies postings linked directly to the company websites. I actually intended to send that link to some friends, but I want to be able to warn them about the issue you all noted, but I want to understand it more...

Link: Charlotte, NC Jobs | Indeed.com

Old 07-13-2009, 06:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Can you guys explain a little more about what you mean when you say these are bogus postings? I just went through the Charlotte link below from that site and I actually thought it was pretty good. Several of the large companies postings linked directly to the company websites. I actually intended to send that link to some friends, but I want to be able to warn them about the issue you all noted, but I want to understand it more...

Link: Charlotte, NC Jobs | Indeed.com
The jobs that are linked to a company website are worth checking out. I go to the website and make sure they are active listings. As long as they are, then no reason to assume they are anything but legit.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
There are plenty of jobs here taken by those who speak spanish and have no VALID IDS. Charlotte is called a magnet city because very little is being done to deal with the growing number of illegals.....

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The jobs that are linked to a company website are worth checking out. I go to the website and make sure they are active listings. As long as they are, then no reason to assume they are anything but legit.
Good info ani and stmaarten. I think the ranking is probably bogus. I don't see how Charlotte can be ranked so high, while Portland, a similar high growth area with high unemployment, is ranked so low. But with that said, I'll certainly be passing that link on to some friends of mine. It looked pretty informative for job openings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: