Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Well, I wasn't gonna enter this fray, but have to agree totally with cagman.

A good, very smart, and very rich friend of mine has stated..."The only thing that we (the US) do that makes money, is making money."

Good Job Cagman!

By the way, I cashed out in fall of 2007..sold for $412K, left the Yankees in Charlotte, moved toward the coast, bought at $195K. Went from 3,700ft2 to 1950ft2 ....and most importantly, left my ego back in Charlotte.

I am certainly not happy so many of you guys are struggling, it is very sad and there are few winners.

I grew up in a mill village, and did just fine. I finally realized, in my mid-50's, I did not need the three and 1/2 baths, four bedrooms, huge bonus room, three car garage, elegant study and all the rest. It just dawned on me, this is BS. All this was totally independent of the financial crisis that was beginning to break open. Nevertheless, I have not spent one nanosecond looking back!!!

Good luck to all.
LLN: I am impressed. Good decision. I think there will be many of us doing the same thing you have done. Just glad you made the move b/f things tumbled.

I am looking at property out in the country, myself. We are evidently about the same age and it recently struck me . . . better to downsize soon and get some land where I can do what I love - gardening - and have some room for my animals (I like to foster abandoned animals and can't do that where I am now).

So you probably are a trendsetter (or at least on the beginning end of a trend). I think a lot of Boomers are gonna be following your example.

Good luck and my very best wishes on your new life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
A good, very smart, and very rich friend of mine has stated..."The only thing that we (the US) do that makes money, is making money."
Yep. Basically writing stuff on paper and selling it back and forth to each other. This is why the economy has failed. What companies are showing huge profits again? The answer to that question is why the pain that is coming is going to be worse than what we have already gone through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte