Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,743 times

Advertisements

so to get back to the original question posed by anifani :

do we realize our house should really be priced $100.00 below the current price ?
honestly , our house would easily have sold for $800.000 in the beginning of o8, we priced at $749.000 thinking it was conservative pricing , now we are in the low $ 600.000's .
we are totally wanting to sell , not to the point where we will let the house be torn down,
does that mean a $525.000 price tag would sell this house?

i believe that it is a combination of everybody staying put and no loans to be had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,744,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

do we realize our house should really be priced $100.00 below the current price ?
honestly , our house would easily have sold for $800.000 in the beginning of o8, we priced at $749.000 thinking it was conservative pricing , now we are in the low $ 600.000's .
we are totally wanting to sell , not to the point where we will let the house be torn down,

i believe that it is a combination of everybody staying put and no loans to be had.
If you are putting limitations on the bucket of prospective buyers, expect to get less for your home like Ani said....Its a dead market even on homes that are staged beautifully in good neighborhoods....you are making it that much more difficult by limiting buyers...

It can't hurt if you list it at that price, however like its been said, you need to fire the person who took the original pictures. Get a good realtor and make him/her get to work by taking professional looking photos.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

In your situation, tho, it is gonna take a specific buyer w/ a desire to A. live in the wonderful area where your home is located and 2. choose that particular style of home (wh/ is HOT actually!!! People are seeking mid century!!!)

I personally think you just haven't had the right people come through. People who are expecting to pay $525K are looking at newer homes. Plain and simple. It will take that informed consumer who realizes the value of living in that particular location - and holding title to a superb example of a period home - to buy your home - at $750 or $525. The thing is - you know that contractors will buy it at $525 - just for the property. So you know you CAN sell it if you MUST sell it.

If it were me, I would hold out for the right buyer, unless I HAD to sell.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,743 times
again , thank you for all the feedback , the pics are no good , on top of that nitetime pics really should be included. the realtor also has his mind stuck in 08 real estate , it is now hard work to sell a house. the days of just sticking it on the market are over!!

we are not excluding any buyers , at least not yet since no one has made an offer!! most builders are sitting on a huge inventory and our neighborhood itself has a dozen mcmansions to choose from.

just my opinion , staging is for people with no taste and bad furniture or paint , has never stopped me from putting an offer in on a house.
however ,the house was staged right out of a pages from modern home magazine .
besides , people interested in our house most likely has an imagination and understanding of the style.
in other words this is not a house that can be made to look like something it isn't ,to be sold to people just wanting the location, does that make sense?
we are taking it off the market come august 1 or maybe sooner ,that is one plus of working with a friend.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 PM

276 posts, read 477,408 times
This "tear-down" talk depresses me. They are trashing what is precious, and replacing it with trash. This our heritage and culture they are destroying. Some people on this board don't get that. They are only interested in their next commission.

Could you apply to have it put on the National Historic Register?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,566,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
This "tear-down" talk depresses me. They are trashing what is precious, and replacing it with trash. This our heritage and culture they are destroying. Some people on this board don't get that. They are only interested in their next commission.

Could you apply to have it put on the National Historic Register?
I was thiking about that too. Usually they have to be at least 50 years old, but sometimes will make an exception for a remarkable home.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:38 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,222,239 times
It really comes down to this. The banks are being forced to return to the days of lending based on a household's ability to pay the mortgage. If you believe that, then there is this sobering statistic that is out there plain as day.

The median adjusted household income in the USA has actually dropped since the 2000 census. This does not include the millions of jobs lost in the last 8 months. Meanwhile, what have the prices of homes been doing? It's not rocket science that prices can't rise with lack of income to support it. It's a simple concept but one that was lost because of the false wealth created by easy lending.

If you use the old rule of thumbs for making loans and what you should borrow, maybe about 1% - 1.5% of the households in the USA can truly afford a $500,000 home. Of that limited bunch, even fewer will consider it a wise purchase. IMO, given what has happened to the wealth generating part of the economy, (and finance is not part of that) anyone that has a home that is priced higher than $250K and needs to sell now, or 10 years from now, is going to lose.

Worth is what others are willing and able to pay for something. Worth is not what you paid for it. It's an easy concept but another one that many refuse to believe when it comes to selling their house.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM

22,387 posts, read 29,512,450 times
The bf and I are interested in purchasing a smaller house on about an acre or so. We originally bought this house because we loved the floor plan and was thinking of the future for rental/sell to a large/extended family.

OR

Moving out of NC period..

Old 07-17-2009, 01:53 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,222,239 times
If my post above fails to explain it, I saw this video 2-3 years ago that is pretty self explanatory. It's a roller coaster ride plotted to house prices over the last 100+ years. The ride in Charlotte lasted a couple of years past this point, but when it is done, people will get getting off at the same stop.

Real Estate Roller Coaster

Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM

622 posts, read 1,784,459 times
Movedtothecoast,

I have looked at the actual MLS listing for your home and have 2 major items that you shoukd address:

1. Photos

I agree that the photograhy leaves a lot to be desired but more importantly, the selection of photos (5 exterior photos and only 3 interior photos) needs to be rectified. At the least, there should be a front photo, a rear exterior photo (showing any exterior amenities that might appeal to the buyer), kitchen photo (indicating to the buyer the apporximate size, functionality, and exposure to the living area of the home), living room (indicating its size and functionalty), master bedroom, and master bathroom.

In a home such as yours, a virtual tour of the exterior and interior would be invaluable.

2. MLS REMARKS and AGENT REMARKS

This is on the actual listing in the MLS. If you do not have a copy, please get one from yor agent. All they reference is the architect and the properties of cedar siding. Buyer's and agents do not give a rodent's butt about this info during a home search. They need to know what are the features of the actual home and any aras of special interest. You are selling a house, not an architect.

3. LACK OF A GARAGE

At your price point this can be a definite "deal killer". This comment is for informational purposes only.

4. BONUS

You will know what I am talking about. Eliminate it immediately as it will do nothing to sell your house. The agent will not "sell" your house. The buying decision rests solely with the buyer. As you have mentally deducted these funds from the selling price, utilize them to enhance the features in your home.

Please take the above as an impartial, constructive viewpoint of my opinions on the questions you asked. It is not meant to reflect on your choice of realtor or the pricing of the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte