Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim28226 View Post
Maybe they will extend unemployment some more?
I know that seems like it would be a godsend, but you do realize that it would hurt you in the future, right? When you're NOT working, you're NOT adding wages to your base period for the future to be able to file an unemployment claim should the need arise again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I agree with you mullman. Nevertheless, I have set aside a huge cardboard box to set up on College Street for myself in case that happens. Seriously, that is what families are for and if my kids need to move in, so be it.
I'm afraid post jet-age and people moving across the country for greener pastures this becomes tough.
Although my family has been in the area (within 100mi) for 250+ years, my wife drove down from MA 17 years ago with $200 in her pocket to find a job.
So I do see both sides of the predicament.

Frankly I am thrilled to have a three dozen or so households I could call upon if things got really crazy, and I would do the same for them - that is called 'family'.
The tightest bond in the world, and I would never discount it whether taking or receiving.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM

18 posts, read 27,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I know that seems like it would be a godsend, but you do realize that it would hurt you in the future, right? When you're NOT working, you're NOT adding wages to your base period for the future to be able to file an unemployment claim should the need arise again.
Yes I understand that 100% but I guess I just want them to keep extending unemployment benefits until this recession is over. If this recession last for another few years I would like the Government to extend unemployment benefits for that long. I have been collecting for about a year now but would like to collect until the recession officially ends. Also I have to work atleast 26 weeks in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits. So even if I do run out all I have to do is hold onto a job for 26 weeks and then I can start from scratch.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM

129 posts, read 338,954 times
Quote:
Yes I understand that 100% but I guess I just want them to keep extending unemployment benefits until this recession is over. If this recession last for another few years I would like the Government to extend unemployment benefits for that long. I have been collecting for about a year now but would like to collect until the recession officially ends. Also I have to work atleast 26 weeks in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits. So even if I do run out all I have to do is hold onto a job for 26 weeks and then I can start from scratch.
With a attitude like this , I have a hard time mustering pity for you.
You don't want to get your hands dirty, and you feel like you are owed unemployment.

Perhaps a attitude adjustment would also adjust your employment outlook.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times
Quote:
NC and many other states are already borrowing money from the Feds (nearly $1 Billion so far, just NC alone) to pay for UI benefits, that is supposed to be paid back. It's not intended to be your primary income for an indefinite period of time. In addition to the THREE extensions out there, you've also been receiving an additional $25 per week since February, compliments of the stimulus package. Furthermore, the first $2,400 in UI is not taxable in 2009, compliments of the Government. The Government is doing plenty already, dontcha think? What are YOU doing for yourself? There ARE jobs out there, regardless of whether they're in your regular and customary field. Get one, and give the system a break!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:53 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
...I do have a degree in finance and just don't think I should be doing odd jobs with my level of education......
I have an engineering degree. I haven't done engineering for 15 years since the people with finance degrees decided that it is somehow better for the Chinese to make all our stuff.

You move on and do something else, even if that something else is something you might not like. It's called making lemon-aid out of lemons. (something I heard in HS)

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,982 times
A wise man once said, there's light even in the darkest room. You figure to go into business for yourself. Because its yourself who is looking out for you ultimately. Income is what we are after. Self help. Self motivation. Self employment. Freelance. Free your mind. I shuttle cheap rides to senior people around town who can't afford cabs. I also do yards. Write about someone, someplace, something. Find something you are comfortable with doing and let it be your guide. How do you think free enterprise began in the 1st place. Who knows where your limits are?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Hey what's 860 Million between friends...?

Pretty soon we'll be cracking a billion......

Employment commission $860 million in debt - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/846928.html - broken link)

It's hard to predict how long the ESC will continue to borrow money – basically, “until things turn around,” ESC spokesman Andy James said

People think we're screwed now....wait till the debt of just this grows into the billions......

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM

18 posts, read 27,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Hey what's 860 Million between friends...?

Pretty soon we'll be cracking a billion......

Employment commission $860 million in debt - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/846928.html - broken link)

It's hard to predict how long the ESC will continue to borrow money – basically, “until things turn around,” ESC spokesman Andy James said

People think we're screwed now....wait till the debt of just this grows into the billions......
Honestly I don't think there is any choice. If the government stops unemployment with soo many people being unemployed I think that would then lead to a huge increase in crime and surely they don't want that to happen. I think they should continue sending unemployment checks to the unemployed(which includes me) as long as the rate stays above 9%.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
well, we already know about YOUR work ethic, so, Timm...don't see a bright picture in YOUR horizon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte