Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times

Advertisements

What will the NC government do if less people start to smoke, more people lose jobs, and companies earnings go south? Where will they get the money from then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
What will the NC government do if less people start to smoke, more people lose jobs, and companies earnings go south? Where will they get the money from then?
Simple.... there'll be a 2 cent sales tax increase and a 4% state income tax surcharge!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You see, Obama is using this as a red herring. He is getting people focused on thinking that somehow, all illness is preventable.

I have been in health and wellness now for over 20 years and I can assure you (and can dig up the studies to prove it) that the majority of illnesses are NOT preventable!!!!

For example, did you know that less than 15% of smokers get lung cancer? As many people get lung cancer who are not smokers. And no, it cannot be attributed to "second hand smoke." Scientists have narrowed it down to genetics, but no one wants to talk about that b/c then folks won't contribute to the American Cancer Society if they realize that cancer is basically a genetic disease (or let's say - one is pre-disposed to cancer). We need more research and $$ for research in order to more fully understand these mechanisms, of course.

Obama makes it sound like everyone who has cardiac disease and diabetes has it b/c he/she has lived an unhealthy lifestyle, and that is patently untrue.

I developed gestational diabetes and I weighed 127 lbs when I got pregnant. Was there something I DID that "brought on" gestational diabetes? HELL NO. My grandmother also had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant with my dad! And she was not overweight in her life - til the day she died. It was genetics! But let's make people feel like failures somehow b/c they develop a disease!

Eating your veggies and walking every day is not gonna protect you from disease. I believe it can help! But lifestyle isn't responsible for everything! Tell this to parents of children dealing with leukemia and cancer.
I think they are concerned about the increase in Type 2 diabetes in children

Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
So whenever they raise taxes on cigarettes to fund public programs for people of low socioeconomic status, they are, in large part, imposing the tax on the same people that those funds will be used to help.
You almost have it figured out! Our lawmakers aren't trying to help the poor, they are trying to help themselves.

The government wants the poor to remain poor. That way, the poor always will percieve a need for a bigger, more powerful, nanny-like government.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I think they are concerned about the increase in Type 2 diabetes in children
But that is not how it is being presented to the public. It is being presented as health and wellness is the root to curing the majority of all illness here in the USA.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But that is not how it is being presented to the public. It is being presented as health and wellness is the root to curing the majority of all illness here in the USA.
LOL-sounds like he has been studying the healthcare system in the UK.
You know-that wonderful free one we have here.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay...fess up time...I'd like to hear from those in the Charlotte forum who voted for the "O" man what they thought of his healthcare speech last night. Cuz he talked about the evil insurance company, and I work for one of them. I'd like some opinions as to where to work when he shuts down my evil company...
I think lefty voters better start peeling those Obama/Biden stickers off their cars immediately!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Sadly, many states' finances are knocked out of whack by federal mandates in regards to Medicare and Medicaid costs. It isn't the only Federal government that is driving up these costs but insurance companies, drug companies and the medical establishment per se! It is a conspiracy by both parties that keep the current scheme going. The Democrats keep increasing the eligible pool of health care recipients and the Republicans never met a drug company or insurance company whose lobbyists and dollars they didn't like. Between both parties, they are responsible for a constant 7 to 10 percent increase in yearly health costs, along with the medical profession who would never think of taking a pay cut, like many people in other professions have done.

The greatest share of medical costs are due to the elderly consuming a vastly greater share of medical resources than the general population. Take for instance, a 90 year old person in a nursing home who is senile and needs round-the-clock care. That person is costing society about $70,000 a year! I don't know about you, but to me - that's a lot of money. It's about three times more than I currently live on! You could treat a lot of kids at a clinic for that amount. Would I want to be kept "alive" for that amount a year! Heck no! If I were in that kind of condition, I'd like the same option that I would employ with my pets - To be put to sleep! We think of that as a "humane" thing to do in regards to our pets! Why not people too! Expensive doses of Aricept aren't going to keep Grandma out of the nursing home forever, and I suspect that isn't on the list of $4 prescriptions available at Walmart either!

The problem with healthcare in America is that nobody wants to die and we have the mentality that everyone should be kept alive regardless of cost. That's an unsustainable fantasy and one of the major reasons that our current system is going under. If I'm 75, I shouldn't be even "eligible" for a heart transplant. $1,000,000 or more for 5 or 6 years of additional life is just too much! With any healthcare system, no matter what the country you're in, you can't have "all the healthcare you want - all the time". No country in the world can afford that... and that's the reality of the situation!

Could we all keep ourselves in better shape to keep health costs down! Of course! But in thinking about my hospitalization 8 months ago, due to super high blood pressure ...250/150! I could have treated it myself and avoided three days in the hospital if I had "certain options" available. Firstly, I diagnosed myself (thanks to my brother, who bought me a blood pressure monitor ). Secondly, if I could have bought "over-the-counter blood pressure medication", I could have treated and monitored myself. Thanks to all the info on the internet (Web MD and the like) I was the one who suggested my medication options to my MD (the $4 Walmart ones) who went along with my choices! Doing some of the medical legwork yourself can save a bundle!!! I figure I could have saved BCBS about $10,000 if I had the "option" of treating myself. There are times that it might have been very convenient to live close to the Mexican border where, at a "Pharmacia", you can buy practically anything you want without a prescription! I guess big pharma and the AMA would have a "heart attack" over that one!

I have a lot of problems with the way health care is done in this country. Obama's ideas seems to have little in the way of cost containment and the Republicans seem to favor the same old ways of doing things. Both roads lead to financial disaster, but in different ways! Is there any forum on C-D that discusses health reform? It seems that the subject is not really covered in the Health Forum and gets caught up in the Political forum in bits and pieces. I'd certainly like to dicuss it. Recommendations?

BTW... If 10,000 senile people in NC nursing homes suddenly passed away tomorrow, that would save NC $700,000,000! That's nearly all of the 1% sales tax increase right there! Food for thought!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
LOL-sounds like he has been studying the healthcare system in the UK.
You know-that wonderful free one we have here.
LOL!!!

Well, I think most of us would agree that of course - good health practices and incorporating good habits into our lives always is a positive. Doubt it will hurt anyone!

I do like some of the "best practices" that the UK system incorporates for disease management. My problem w/ the UK system is that sometimes Dx are put off a long time when they should be ordered immediately. There really is a fine line b/n over-using Dx testing and under-using it.

People here in the USA don't have a clue how the UK system really works. They don't realize UK citizens usually pay taxes for healthcare (like we pay for social security and medicare). That is why I just shake my head when people call it "free."

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM

182 posts, read 439,902 times
Love your passion, Ani! Take a breath and count to ten, do some yoga... I think we should nominate Ani for a Congresswoman position! I got first dibs on being her aid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte