Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
Love your passion, Ani! Take a breath and count to ten, do some yoga... I think we should nominate Ani for a Congresswoman position! I got first dibs on being her aid!
LOL! Yes, if I ever am elected, I will hire you as an aide.

Already did my yoga. Time for some meditation, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 PM

182 posts, read 440,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL! Yes, if I ever am elected, I will hire you as an aide.

Already did my yoga. Time for some meditation, tho.

Ani, I'm psyched for a new challenge! Being in the airlines, I am already familiar in saying "coffee, tea or landing gear?"

Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The greatest share of medical costs are due to the elderly consuming a vastly greater share of medical resources than the general population. Take for instance, a 90 year old person in a nursing home who is senile and needs round-the-clock care. That person is costing society about $70,000 a year! I don't know about you, but to me - that's a lot of money. It's about three times more than I currently live on! You could treat a lot of kids at a clinic for that amount. Would I want to be kept "alive" for that amount a year! Heck no! If I were in that kind of condition, I'd like the same option that I would employ with my pets - To be put to sleep!.....
So what do you suggest? When someone hits a certain age, no medical care? Get back to me when this is your mom, dad, or yourself in this situation. The United States should be able to provide for its elderly. I don't think anything is going to be solved by going to the old folks and saying. Zip, you are done. Go off some where and die or commit suicide.

You mention society, yet I don't really want to live in a society that takes that kind of attitude with its citizens. I have paid into the medical system all my life through various taxes, premiums, etc. It's not too much to expect that I might get to see a doctor when I am on my death bed. geez.

Medical costs are driven up by 3 things that are totally unnecessary.
  1. First is by doctors who order huge numbers of tests that are unnecessary and most often because they have an investment in testing firm. Or they bought a cat scanner and want to order those tests, etc. etc. Many many doctors do this to make scads of money.
  2. Next are the drug companies that spend a great deal of money to encourage people to take designer drugs. However they spend even more making visits to the staffs of Drs offices bringing free lunch, gifts, etc. In return they want to see some expensive drugs prescribed. Happens all the time, not supposed to, but it does.
  3. Insurance companies.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,070 times
My wife works for some Eye doctors and gets free lunch all the time. She loves it.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
So what do you suggest? When someone hits a certain age, no medical care? Get back to me when this is your mom, dad, or yourself in this situation. The United States should be able to provide for its elderly. I don't think anything is going to be solved by going to the old folks and saying. Zip, you are done. Go off some where and die or commit suicide.

You mention society, yet I don't really want to live in a society that takes that kind of attitude with its citizens. I have paid into the medical system all my life through various taxes, premiums, etc. It's not too much to expect that I might get to see a doctor when I am on my death bed. geez.

Medical costs are driven up by 3 things that are totally unnecessary.
  1. First is by doctors who order huge numbers of tests that are unnecessary and most often because they have an investment in testing firm. Or they bought a cat scanner and want to order those tests, etc. etc. Many many doctors do this to make scads of money.
  2. Next are the drug companies that spend a great deal of money to encourage people to take designer drugs. However they spend even more making visits to the staffs of Drs offices bringing free lunch, gifts, etc. In return they want to see some expensive drugs prescribed. Happens all the time, not supposed to, but it does.
  3. Insurance companies.
lumbollo - I can't argue at all with your list.... they are so true! But I still take exception to all the "unwanted" (in many cases) care of the elderly. When someone is 90 and they have a terminal condition, I believe they should just be offered palliative care. Is it really worth spending "ungodly sums" on people whose "quality of life" by anyone's standard is poor, just to keep them alive and placate the wishes of their family? You have to draw a line as to what is cost-effective treatment and what is not! Nobody wants to make that decision, unfortunately! This is precisely why Medicaid is going bankrupt!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
lumbollo - I can't argue at all with your list.... they are so true! But I still take exception to all the "unwanted" (in many cases) care of the elderly. When someone is 90 and they have a terminal condition, I believe they should just be offered palliative care. Is it really worth spending "ungodly sums" on people whose "quality of life" by anyone's standard is poor, just to keep them alive and placate the wishes of their family? You have to draw a line as to what is cost-effective treatment and what is not! Nobody wants to make that decision, unfortunately! This is precisely why Medicaid is going bankrupt!

Exactly...you hit this DEAD on the head. It costs tons to treat people in the 90 plus range who will never have a quality of life. Now , this does not mean if you are 90 you don't get health care. On contrary, as long as the quality of life is going to be there, care needs to be provided. And please don't give me the "if it was your Dad or Mom stuff". The advances in medical technology is what is killing our health system in a weird way. We are keeping people alive longer and longer and nobody has a way to pay for it.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
You guys are going to drive me out to the woods with a tent, a buncha guns and ammo, and the assorted survival tools. Seriously. I think we should get a bunch of people together and do that. Fall off the radar. Refuse to pay any taxes. My AR tells me I have that right. *chambers a round* What say you, IRS Agent?
Gee, you can get ammo? We can't get any here by me and haven't been able since the election.

And I'm sorry if this has been covered but I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread. Just want to add my two cents.

First I must say the only reason I vote is because too many lives were lost so I would have that right. To me, it's always the lesser of two evils and the majority of politicians are in someone's pocket or else how would they get elected.
So I vote and then I can complain.

The middle class or what used to be the middle class has always borne the brunt of the taxes. Now, we have to pay higher gas taxes to go to work so we can pay more state taxes which upsets us so we drink and smoke and pay more taxes. What a life!

We left Florida maily because of the high cost of everything and the taxes. Because if Uncle Sam doesn't get you the state, county and city you live in will. We were suppose to retire. Well, we have to work now. And that's okay. I work at a school which is why I am home now-stinks in the summer with no income but there is nothing else out there now. Anyway, we will hopefully survive.

As far as health insurance goes, something needs to be done. But what, I have no clue. I do know that in this country no one should have to choose between their medicine or food or rent. And people shouldn't have to beg for money for treatments or transplants while other people get treatment and their bills are written off. And I know personally of one man I knew in Florida who had a brain infection, was in the hospital forever, and never paid a cent because he lost his job and didn't have any assets. Meanwhile, my husband and I will be paying off the same hospital for another 10 years for our share of the cost of his open heart surgery four years ago. They won't wipe our bill off even though the insurance paid more than enough it seems to me for his surgery. But no one said life is fair. You would think they all could just get together and figure out something that would benefit the patients, doctors, insurance companies et al. C'mon. They all went to college. But there is no Oz except in the movies and in our dreams.

The bright side! The governor of South Carolina isn't ours. Is he just clueless or what?

Last edited by Catrick; 07-23-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Honestly, care of the elderly is not why medicaid is going bankrupt. Take a look at this list of typical Medicaid benefits and see what I mean.

Health Care Help through Medicaid

In order for state run programs to be eligible to receive federal matching funds, there are certain basic services that must be offered to categorically needy populations. The health care help available through this program must include service such as:

Inpatient and outpatient hospital services
Payment of physician services
Surgical and medical dental services
Nursing facility (NF) services for individuals aged 21 or older
Home health care for persons that are eligible for nursing facility services
Family planning services and supplies
Nurse / midwife services
Laboratory services and X-rays
Pediatric and those services provided by a family nurse practitioner
Federally-qualified health center services and ambulatory services that are otherwise covered under a state plan
Rural health clinic services and other ambulatory services that are otherwise covered under a state plan
The most commonly covered health care services under an optionally eligible Medicaid program include:

Services provided by clinics
Prescription drugs (for more information please see Medicare Part D)
Prosthetic devices
Dental insurance
Services of an optometrist including eyeglasses
Nursing facility services for individuals under age 21
Intermediate care facilities and other services for the mentally retarded
States may also provide home or community-based care waiver services to certain individuals who are eligible for Medicaid. Such services can include case management, personal care services, respite care, adult day health services, and home health aides.

Duration of Medicaid Benefits

Individual states determine both the amount and duration of Medicaid benefits offered under their programs. Generally, federal guidelines require that the amount, duration, and scope of each service be sufficient to reasonably achieve its purpose. States are responsible for placing appropriate limits on Medicaid services based on medical necessity and other types of controls.

Medicaid Benefits

Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,747 times
Quote:
Can people have advanced directives in the US-ie can they say that if x,y and z happens they dont want more than palliative care? Family then cannot dispute.Legal euthanasia? I wish it were possible.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Can people have advanced directives in the US-ie can they say that if x,y and z happens they dont want more than palliative care? Family then cannot dispute.Legal euthanasia? I wish it were possible.
susan42 - There are many instances of peoples' advanced directives not being followed because of a) the doctor and hospital have a vested (financial) interest in keeping the patient alive or the family's wishes have over-ridden the desires expressed in the AD made by the patient - or "both"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte