Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

not when you have seen so much, and yes there are tons of reputable builders out there and no it doesnt take much effort to get around codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 02:28 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Vicki,

OK. I get your point re: codes.

I have never lived in an HOA community, not sure they are that common here. Around here the city would intervene if someone piled junk cars in their yard or toilets (which I've never seen here in Jersey but I did see frequently when I lived in MS) on their porch.

I doubt city ordinances cover what color one chooses to paint their home (I'd have to look) but, my main concern is that which is unsanitary, unsafe, or extremely unsightly. For instance, our neighborhs have all these plastic little ducks and assorted animals (again, plastic) poking out of their yard. It's an older couple, I'm actually tickled anytime I see it. And it doesn't stop homes in our neighborhood from selling for $350K and more.

To me, HOAs represent a certain loss of freedom (as well as extra fees), which to me is a major factor driving my decision to purchase a home. I'm a lifelong renter and I am tired of looking at white walls.

But again, like I have stated here before, I understand other people's attraction ... it's simply not for me and my family.

And I came to this board, to read up on various opinions and to receive multiple insights because, this is my first time in this arena. I admit to being ignorant. And I am afraid of making major mistakes. So, I am gathering as much info as I can, to hopefully make an informed decision for us. Hey, my kids are counting on me.

Thanks everyone.

SL

Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
And it may be my nature, or simply being from Jersey, I actually trust few people. Might seem bad, but it keeps me protected.

Around these parts one of the builders many people here describe as great, has a pretty bad reputation. Apparently, because of the demographics in the community they were building for, they decided to skip a whole lot of stuff when it came to codes. Of course, the corrupt city government was a part of the whole sordid ordeal ... but what sticks with me is the pictures the paper ran of people crying outside of their homes, upset over the fact that they still had to pay the mortgage on homes deemed unlivable.

This is the biggest purchase I'll ever make ... I think it's OK to get multiple perspectives on the process. We're not rich people. I'd like to make a sound decision.

Thanks.

SL

Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Hey saralee, I'll tell you the same thing I tell MY clients...buying a home isn't that difficult if you have the right person representing you. And...buying a home is not a lifelong decision! You buy in a nice area and assume you are going to live there for a while...but...circumstances change and so do people's tastes. Whats the worse that could happen? You buy a home, live there a year, decide you made a mistake or your circumstances have changed...you call your realtor, she sells your house and you move again. Its been done! Vicki

Old 07-25-2006, 03:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
not when you have seen so much, and yes there are tons of reputable builders out there and no it doesnt take much effort to get around codes
A tract home is tract home, it's a gamble. You aren'tpaying for the Taj Mahal.

Look at I'm informed he had a tract home by Pulte what a nightmare he had and Pulte has a good reputation.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:37 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
So much to read on this subject! We are three years into a Lennar home here in CA. CA a $700k home. woo hoo we got the granite and with it a headache of a home. After being delayed by mistakes the builder made pulling permits by 7 months we moved in. Two weeks later all our plumbing backed up and they had left a 2x4 in the main plumbing line. We had to move back out for two weeks while it was repaired.....they had to pull up my new flooring a $60K upgrade and cut into my post tension slab foundation using an x-ray machine so they would not crumble the slab foundation and lose the house. Since that initial disaster we have had all our windows replaced, roof repaired, drywall re-done secondary bathroom leak repaired, electrical reapirs and our master bath shower had been leaking and we had to have our entire up stairs sealed off by a remediation team as well as the kitchen below because the inspector we hired found toxic mold. Lennar said it was not any big deal. We had no use of our home for 3 months and then shorter durations after that because the problem kept re-accuring. Today I sit here and the AC repairman I just had to call out informed be that both my units blew they are under warrtanty but labor is $1500. So just because you buy a more expensive home doesn't mean you get better quality at least not with this builder. I won't be purchasing with them in NC. Did I mention our home is only 3 years new?

Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
thats why I put the website up it gives information on alot of builders not just the problem ones either, it gives advice so you can make an informed decision.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM

336 posts, read 513,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
So much to read on this subject! We are three years into a Lennar home here in CA. CA a $700k home. woo hoo we got the granite and with it a headache of a home. After being delayed by mistakes the builder made pulling permits by 7 months we moved in. Two weeks later all our plumbing backed up and they had left a 2x4 in the main plumbing line. We had to move back out for two weeks while it was repaired.....they had to pull up my new flooring a $60K upgrade and cut into my post tension slab foundation using an x-ray machine so they would not crumble the slab foundation and lose the house. Since that initial disaster we have had all our windows replaced, roof repaired, drywall re-done secondary bathroom leak repaired, electrical reapirs and our master bath shower had been leaking and we had to have our entire up stairs sealed off by a remediation team as well as the kitchen below because the inspector we hired found toxic mold. Lennar said it was not any big deal. We had no use of our home for 3 months and then shorter durations after that because the problem kept re-accuring. Today I sit here and the AC repairman I just had to call out informed be that both my units blew they are under warrtanty but labor is $1500. So just because you buy a more expensive home doesn't mean you get better quality at least not with this builder. I won't be purchasing with them in NC. Did I mention our home is only 3 years new?
That kinda takes away from gregsbabe1's "you get what you pay for" idea.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
That kinda takes away from gregsbabe1's "you get what you pay for" idea.
You said it. That's right. Price has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD

I was gonna mention you too, couldn't forget that horror story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte