Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times

Advertisements

We left a deposit on an apartment for my son who is going to college. We have not signed a lease as of yet (we were going to do it this week). He is now able to get on campus housing which was not available when we started looking for apartments. Do you think we should be able to get our deposit back from an off campus private rental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
you would need to read the paperwork you signed for the deposit
or maybe they told you what the refund policy was verbally?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks Chromekitty. We do not have paperwork, it was just a verbal, "yes we are interested" here is some money to hold the apartment. We gave the money to the landlords son, who would have been my sons roommate. We only talked to the father on the phone to let him know that we would sign the lease the first week in Aug.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,957 times
Question {do not click in this area}

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Thanks Chromekitty. We do not have paperwork, it was just a verbal, "yes we are interested" here is some money to hold the apartment. We gave the money to the landlords son, who would have been my sons roommate. We only talked to the father on the phone to let him know that we would sign the lease the first week in Aug.
I've never understood the concept of a "refundable deposit" for holding an item. If a deposit is refundable, then what's the point?

Because the deposit policy is not spelled out in your situation, I think the landlord would refund the deposit if
-He's a generous person, or
-He can find another tenant quickly.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
I've never understood the concept of a "refundable deposit" for holding an item. If a deposit is refundable, then what's the point?

Because the deposit policy is not spelled out in your situation, I think the landlord would refund the deposit if
-He's a generous person, or
-He can find another tenant quickly.

It gives one a vested interest.
Good faith money is another way to look at it.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
.... "yes we are interested" here is some money to hold the apartment. ....
Ok so he met his end of the deal and held the apartment for you. Why do you think you are entitled to a refund? Maybe he could have rented it to someone else who was actually going to take the place.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
verbal things (of any kind) worry me. I hope that he will see clear to refund the deposit, if he indeed "recalls" that the deposit was made in the first place.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
SSD: hate to say it, but I think you are out of this deposit. If he just wants to do it to be nice, he may, but the truth is - he did hold the apartment and thought the issue of finding a roommate for his son was solved . . . so I guess it all depends on how much trouble he is gonna have to go to now to find someone to rent the apartment that he feels good about.

I think if it were me, I would just call them and explain the situation and apologize for the inconvenience and see what he says. Hopefully, the owner won't have a problem finding a new roommate for son and will offer on his own to send back at least a portion of the deposit.

I am sorry you are in a sticky situation = but glad you got the dorm placement you preferred!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM

My husband and I both agree that he should and probably will keep the deposit. We are not even going to ask for any of it back. I was just curious how something like this works. We have never rented anything before and wondered what to expect. Thanks all for your insight.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:14 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
^^^^ Good decision that you accept it like it is. At this point call him and tell him your changes and that you understand he might have a financial loss .
HE, might say that if he finds another tenant he'll return the deposit or a portion of it. It's up to the LL now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte