Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,083 times

Advertisements

I was thinking, I like to read several print news publications as well as the TV & radio broadcasts I mentioned earlier, generally Newsweek, the Economist and "The Week" and read 3 hometown papers'(Observer, Miami Herald and Sun Sentinel) web editions and the Sunday NY Times. Just curious about all of your news reading habits? Maybe I am missing out on something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
When the first President Bush was in office he had a news conference that I watched live. I was also taping for my daughter for a project she had in Current Events. When I watched the news that night and read the paper the next morning, I couldn't believe how by editing and not getting all the facts strait they could distort some of the things he said. I even went back and watched the tape to make sure I wasn't nuts and heard what I heard. I just kept saying, that's not what he said and they are taking that out of context.

Not that I always believed everything I heard and read, but after that, unless I see live I don't believe half the stuff I see on any news station or read in any paper.

Instead of fact, it has all become subjective by the corporate owners, news stations and even reporters.

I lived in Hollywood FL and the mayor came to a function at our school. She was interviewed by the local paper. I heard what she said. But even that was turned around by the paper.

So if we want to be informed, I guess we have to do research ourselves or just believe what we read and hear.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM

206 posts, read 514,383 times
Default Fox, Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
are you serious? that's the feeling you get when you watch fox?
Yes, if you want true unbiased reporting, go to Fox

Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
Yes, if you want true unbiased reporting, go to Fox

What would you suggest instead?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 AM

206 posts, read 514,383 times
Default News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
What would you suggest instead?
I find BBC, Newsweek and NPR to be as unbiased as news gets! I personally enjoy thought provoking journalism rather than any group trying to tell me how to think.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
I actually find this website informative, it kind of takes articles from many news resources. Aggregates polling data RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls

Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
The one thing about Fox is at least they admit they are right wing (I'm sure that "Fair and Balanced" thing is just some inside joke they all get a kick out of). I mean, when you have the Bush Whitehouse employing Foxnews staff, and vice-versa, they aren't exactly hiding their connection to the GOP, are they? Not to mention Republican presidential candidates literally hosting their own shows.

CNN is barely watchable, why do they insist on gimmicks like the "Situation Room"? MSNBC should be labeled "For Entertainment Purposes Only".

I listen to BBC on the radio and it is amazing. You should hear it when they interview the PM - he is squirming and tap dancing through the whole thing. Makes a difference when you employ actual journalists to do the reporting. US media prefers to use glorified weather men (and women). Even O'Reilly could barely manage to make Obama shift in his seat.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
It's even better when the BBC interviews one of our politicians. Unfortunately most Americans never hear or see these shows.

The United States is pretty much the only country in the world where the true BBC World News channel is mostly unavailable except for some encapsulations done for PBS and the Americanized version of the news that is shown on BBC America that is actually distributed by Discovery, not the BBC.

CNN International is much better than CNN in the USA. Good luck with trying to find it in the USA even though much of it is produced here.

The United States is the only country in the industrialized world that does not carry ANY English channel Arab news networks. The English version of Al Jazerra is pretty good, but mention to most Americans about it and they think you are an Osama Bin Laden lover. It's a shame as they do cover a lot of issues that Americans should be concerned about given the hundreds of billions of taxes we spend in the Middle East, but never hear about because the domestic media doesn't want you to hear about it. i.e. NBC is owned by one of the largest defense contractors in the world, the Saudis have investments in CNN, Murdoch makes a lot of money telling the stupid in the USA on Fox anything to keep them scared and mad.

All of this, BTW in a country that has 500+ channels of TV.

About the only alternatives you have are to look at some of the more obscure channels on satellite TV such as LinkTV, Colours and FSTV.

Last edited by lumbollo; 08-07-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte