Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,612 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm living in new jersey right now, and I'm looking to relocate to Charlotte some time soon. I've been following this forum for a little while now, trying to gauge where I might want to look to buy a house.

I am trying to save some money and so I am looking to spend somewhere in the $100K range. My goal is to find a fairly nice place in an area that isn't overrun with crime. I am single, no kids, so my needs are modest. And I work from home, so I'm not too concerned with the commute or traffic - so it can be on the outskirts of town if need be.

I've been reading that east and west charlotte are pretty dicey - and a lot of the good deals on houses I have been seeing online have been either out by the airport, or in the Eastland Mall area (which I know are sketchy areas).

So after my long-winded preamble, my question is: are there any areas in Charlotte or the surrounding areas where I might be able to find a decent house that is not in a terribly crime-ridden or dangerous area? Thanks in advance... -Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,260 times
Look to the south of Charlotte, Fort Mill, Belmont. Or to the north, Concord, Kannapolis.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromNJ View Post
Hello all, I'm living in new jersey right now, and I'm looking to relocate to Charlotte some time soon. I've been following this forum for a little while now, trying to gauge where I might want to look to buy a house.

I am trying to save some money and so I am looking to spend somewhere in the $100K range. My goal is to find a fairly nice place in an area that isn't overrun with crime. I am single, no kids, so my needs are modest. And I work from home, so I'm not too concerned with the commute or traffic - so it can be on the outskirts of town if need be.

I've been reading that east and west charlotte are pretty dicey - and a lot of the good deals on houses I have been seeing online have been either out by the airport, or in the Eastland Mall area (which I know are sketchy areas).

So after my long-winded preamble, my question is: are there any areas in Charlotte or the surrounding areas where I might be able to find a decent house that is not in a terribly crime-ridden or dangerous area? Thanks in advance... -Scott
Well, I guess the issue here is going to be the definition of "overrun with crime", "terribly crime-ridden" and "dangerous area". I, for one will find this thread interesting because I would like to see how ppl. draw the line in the sand on defining the 3 levels.

What will be subjective, in a way, is what your tolerance of the 3 levels are. For each zip code and in-fact block by block there are crime stat information that I'm sure ppl. will reference. From that maybe we can determine our own levels of comfort.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:37 PM

123 posts, read 328,791 times
You might want to consider a condo or townhouse, you can find one in your price range in a variety of areas.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
An older house in Ft. Mill, SC, would fit your price range. Ft. Mill is generally a safe area and the SC law enforcement are reputedly much tougher than Charlotte's, which is probably part of why it's safer.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 AM

thanks very much for the replies guys, the info is helpful. a few other questions:

how is monroe, is that a fairly decent area? the prices looks pretty reasonable there.

also, how far past the interstates east and west do you need to go to escape the bad areas? there were a few places I was looking at that were a few miles east of 485, outside the loop, and then also a few that were out west along 85, in the king's mountain area.

thanks again for your help... -s

Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
thanks very much for the replies guys, the info is helpful. a few other questions:

how is monroe, is that a fairly decent area? the prices looks pretty reasonable there.

also, how far past the interstates east and west do you need to go to escape the bad areas? there were a few places I was looking at that were a few miles east of 485, outside the loop, and then also a few that were out west along 85, in the king's mountain area.

Hi Scott! I'm originally from NJ and live in Monroe. Like some of the other posters have mentioned, $100,000 for a townhouse might be doable. Where in NJ are you currently located? Those of us from NJ can make better comparisons to places you are currently familar with, if we know what area in NJ, you're from.

Here's a good site to check out some of the current homes in the area that are on the market!

CarolinaHome.com

Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:

Scott, I am in Kings Mountain & came down from South Jersey. I have not been here for a long time, but most of the people who I've met are natives & they've helped me to get up to speed for getting around. There are plenty of transplants here, so you would not stick out like a sore thumb.

I have been told by life-long residents that this used to be a sleepy little country town, but it started building up in the 70s & then a lot of construction of homes happened recently. They all say that Kings Mountain is turning into a suburb & I would have to agree. It is in transition. $100,000 for a nice house is very doable here.

You do have to go to Gastonia or Shelby for a lot of your shopping, but that's OK. The traffic level is so low that it's not a big deal.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:

Any house you buy in Charlotte in that price range is either going to need lots of work, or will be in less desirable areas for sure. If that is your budget, plan to buy outside of Charlotte in more rural small town areas.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Hi Scott! I'm originally from NJ and live in Monroe. Like some of the other posters have mentioned, $100,000 for a townhouse might be doable. Where in NJ are you currently located? Those of us from NJ can make better comparisons to places you are currently familar with, if we know what area in NJ, you're from.

Here's a good site to check out some of the current homes in the area that are on the market!

CarolinaHome.com
I'm in budd lake right now, NW NJ, on the outskirts of civilization. but the rents are low. closest town is morristown.

i grew up in NJ so I am used to high real estate prices, as well as having a pretty high tolerance for "dangerous" areas (obviously that term is very subjective). so the more relaxed pace and lower prices down south are really appealing to me.

I also don't mind a long commute, as I work from home a lot and travel the rest of the time. so getting a place on the outskirts would be fine.

thanks again to everyone for their advice, i'm going to definitely check out places like concord, kings mountain, monroe, fort mill etc., out on the periphery... -s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte