Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times

Advertisements

OK now you guys have me thinking about Nevada, where my oldest was born. I grew up in the Northeast and I always thought it was nuh-vah-duh then we went out west and I discovered it was nuh-vad-uh.

Same with Biloxi, where my youngest was born. I moved down there thinking it was Bu lox ee but discovered quickly that it was Buh lux se.

Oh, the ignorance. Pretty dang hard to blend in when you're saying everything all wrong and even little children don't mind laughing at ya!

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,369 times
Or how about "Pee-can" vs. "Pa-cahn"???? Personally, I say pa-cahn, but my wife, who is also a southerner, says Pee Can...

Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,053 times
Since I was 8 I grew up in Michigan, about 60 minutes from a little town named Charlotte, but called Char-lot'.

And my dad is from New'-fin-land (Newfoundland). NOBODY can get that one right, except us Canucks.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:07 PM

83 posts, read 399,211 times
This thread is adorable.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:54 PM

77 posts, read 461,218 times
My son who lives in Mooresville warned me that "Salisbury" is pronounced Saulsbury like Paul.Don't ask for directions to Sals- bury (like pal).You will be told "they don't know where that is".

Now on Long Island NY we have Ronkonkoma, Happauge, Quogue. Only Long Islanders can pronounce them.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM

191 posts, read 235,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysparkle View Post
My son who lives in Mooresville warned me that "Salisbury" is pronounced Saulsbury like Paul.Don't ask for directions to Sals- bury (like pal).You will be told "they don't know where that is".
If someone asked me for directions to Sal-is-bury I'd give them directions to Fayettenam.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:15 PM

70 posts, read 212,822 times
I've only had experience with:

Wingate

I said Win-Gate....a gal quickly told me "who in the h-e double hockey sticks says that....it's Weengit....

And the peecan thing..you know...the nut...

Also, I've been in a banter with neighbors about the dinner/supper thing...it's funny now....I call out the door "time for dinner boys" and a couple neighbors yell back "it's SUPPER"......to which I answer "its dinner-supper time boys!!"

Actually, it would be nice if someone could tell me the difference in dinner and supper....really...i don't know!

Old 04-28-2007, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,840 times
Quote:

Now on Long Island NY we have Ronkonkoma, Happauge, Quogue. Only Long Islanders can pronounce them.
oh my gosh! another long islander!!! cool!

how about connetquot, aquebogue, setauket, massapequa, wyandanch, sagaponack, all those fun ones! oh, or one of my all time favorites, speonk! LOL oh, i could go on and on. we have so many interesting town names.

and darn it, i can't say nevada correctly to save my life. try as i might, it always comes out "ne-vah-duh" or however you spell that phoenetically.

Quote:
If someone asked me for directions to Sal-is-bury I'd give them directions to Fayettenam.
so this would be like when i'm in manhattan and someone asks me how to get to houston (street)... we pronounce it "how-stin". if they ask how to get to "hyou-ston", i tend to want to give them directions to kennedy airport! LOL

sorry for getting off the topic of NC towns... but i do try my best to learn the proper pronunciation before i head out, even if i'm just going on vacation. it's only polite!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner vs. Breakfast, Dinner, Supper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdei38 View Post
Also, I've been in a banter with neighbors about the dinner/supper thing...it's funny now....I call out the door "time for dinner boys" and a couple neighbors yell back "it's SUPPER"......to which I answer "its dinner-supper time boys!!"

Actually, it would be nice if someone could tell me the difference in dinner and supper....really...i don't know!
OK, here's my take on the Lunch/Dinner thing. When I was growing up, and this area was rural, "lunch" was the BIG meal of the day and we called it DINNER.

Farmers were working hard and needed to be fed a big farmhouse lunch - we'd have a table full of fresh vegetables from the garden - think fresh corn, peas, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, just made biscuits, etc. This was DINNER. This meal was to re-fuel the hardworking folks for the rest of the day. Lots of farms around during my dad's generation actually had "dinner bells" to ring for the family to come in for dinner. The farm families around here had large families and to hear my dad tell it, during the depression years, they were happy to get a biscuit and molasses, sometimes. Fruit, like oranges, was a big treat for them - sort of their Christmas surprise.

Now, supper, was the "light" meal of the day. Think cornbread and buttermilk. My dad would come in all tuckered out, pull off his dirty clothes, have his supper, watch the news and be ready for bed. You know, early to bed, early to rise!

So, my perspective is - DINNER is the BIG meal of the day. SUPPER is the light meal of the day. I think when we started having our DINNER at bedtime is when we started getting fat...LOL! Isn't there a new diet craze that says don't eat after 7 PM...something to think about.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:58 AM

77 posts, read 461,218 times
Quote:
Ack! See what I mean. LOL

Quote:
connetquot, aquebogue, setauket, massapequa, wyandanch, sagaponack, all those fun ones! oh, or one of my all time favorites, speonk! LOL oh, i could
So True. It's the Native American names that are hard to prounounce. You do find that everywhere you go. They are interesting names.

I still want to know who Glen Burney is? When I travel in VA and New Bern NC you see Glen Burney bridge and Glen Burney road. Who is Glen Burney????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte