Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 AM

48 posts, read 67,407 times

Advertisements

Our neighborhood (http://www.elizabethcommunity.com) had it annual progressive dinner last night. It was out 1st time, and we had a great time. Was able to meet some new people which for us has been difficult. I think its a good idea for any neighborhood. Got to see a couple of very nice homes in the process, and made some new friends i hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 PM

191 posts, read 236,204 times
Progressive dinners are okay as long as you know and trust your neighbors. I don't eat food prepared at home by folks I don't know. Some people are just plain nasty.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:55 PM

178 posts, read 875,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
Progressive dinners are okay as long as you know and trust your neighbors. I don't eat food prepared at home by folks I don't know. Some people are just plain nasty.
Wow- that's too bad. The Elizabeth community is very established and this is one of the most popular events held every spring. We also have a Christmas cocktail party. How sad not to trust your neighbors.

On a happier note- glad you had fun Jussumguy!!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston2000 View Post
Wow- that's too bad. The Elizabeth community is very established and this is one of the most popular events held every spring. We also have a Christmas cocktail party. How sad not to trust your neighbors.

On a happier note- glad you had fun Jussumguy!!
Denial ain't just a river in Eqypt. I grew up in Charlotte and I am familiar with Elizabeth but if you don't think that some of your neighbors keep a dirty kitchen then you're kidding yourself.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,065 times
Those sort of events are great way to mingle.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 PM

178 posts, read 875,558 times
Quote:
Denial ain't just a river in Eqypt. I grew up in Charlotte and I am familiar with Elizabeth but if you don't think that some of your neighbors keep a dirty kitchen then you're kidding yourself.
I don't think anyone with a "dirty kitchen" would be asked to host the dinners.

Don't know if any of you know who Amy Sedaris is, but she has a new cookbook out called "I Like you:Hospitality Under The Influence" & in it she gives her hysterical take on entertaining. (She is humorist David Sedaris's sister) Anyway, one of her stories was of sending a polaroid to all of her guests the next day following her dinner pary showing the turkey lying on the kitchen floor where it had accidently fallen. I love that. Otherwise know as the 5 second rule in my house!!

Last edited by winston2000; 04-29-2007 at 08:35 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:

Happens in some places we get take out too. Did you ever see the people working in some of these fast food places? I'll take the progressive dinners over some of those anyday.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Happens in some places we get take out too. Did you ever see the people working in some of these fast food places? I'll take the progressive dinners over some of those anyday.
You'd be surprised at how dirty home kitchens are. Most people don't do as thorough a job sanitizing food prep surfaces as commercial kitchens do, and most folks are slack with handwashing.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised at how dirty home kitchens are. Most people don't do as thorough a job sanitizing food prep surfaces as commercial kitchens do, and most folks are slack with handwashing.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 AM

48 posts, read 67,407 times
you know. i have the same problem...im normally with you. I sucked it up and ate. My wife made the salad so i was good with that. Everything turned out good actually.
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte