Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

Did you feel it?

If so - you can post the info here. The USGS wants to know.

I felt it but wasn't sure what I felt, lol. I checked it out today on the USGS site. No one else had logged that they felt it here in Charlotte. I felt it at about 6:38 am. Surely I am not the only person who felt it? My chair gently shook for maybe 3 - 4 seconds.

More info:

Small Earthquake Shakes Some In South Carolina | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7016248786?Small%20Earthquake%20Shakes%20Some%20In %20South%20Carolina - broken link)

SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (AP) - The U.S. Geological Survey says a small 3.2 magnitude earthquake has been reported in South Carolina near the coast.

Moderate tremors were felt for three to five seconds at about 6:30 a.m. Saturday. The tremors were followed by a series of weaker vibrations.

No damage or injuries were immediately reported. Some residents experiencing the earthquake reported hearing a loud explosion.

The earthquake was centered about two miles northeast of Summerville, which is about 15 miles north-northwest of Charleston.

Weak SC earthquake rattles communities - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,957 times
Oy, I was sound asleep at that time. Being from Cali it would take more than that to wake me up!!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,908 times
When we lived in Summerville, SC over 20 years ago we had a 3.something earthquake. My dog was acting strange before it happend then boom it hit. We thought there was an explosion somewhere.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
When we lived in Summerville, SC over 20 years ago we had a 3.something earthquake. My dog was acting strange before it happend then boom it hit. We thought there was an explosion somewhere.
I did not realize that loud booms accompany earthquakes til I read the articles about this earthquake. I have only felt small tremors, both here in NC and also when in California. It makes sense that there would be noises, of course, but I just never heard anyone say that! I went on several websites in SC and people were saying they heard 2 loud booms that sounded like explosions.

I think animals sense the disturbance before people - it seems from reports that they do. I wonder what it is they feel? (or maybe it is a sound at a pitch we can't hear??)

Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,957 times
Earthquakes are series of waves that move through the ground. Imagine a pebble dropped in a pond. You see the waves moving towards you on the shore, but you can't feel them until they get to you. Humans can't hear or feel the ground waves of an earthquake anywhere as soon or well as the critters - same as a dog will bark about a car coming before a human knows its there, or howl at sirens that merely annoy us, hide under the couch before we even know the storm has arrived...etc.

If you ever have the chance to go to the Exploratorium in San Francisco, they have an "Earthquake Experience", where you stand on a "floor" and feel different levels of seismic activity, and the sounds that go with it. It can be REALLY loud! It is the earth getting broken and torn, after all.

Typically, and definitely in this case, it was a small earthquake and we're far enough away from the epicenter that we got the "small" ripples, like you would see at the edges of the pond from that dropped pebble, so we don't get the noticeable level of noise that you would hear closer to the epicenter or if it were a "major" earthquake.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Earthquakes are series of waves that move through the ground. Imagine a pebble dropped in a pond. You see the waves moving towards you on the shore, but you can't feel them until they get to you. Humans can't hear or feel the ground waves of an earthquake anywhere as soon or well as the critters - same as a dog will bark about a car coming before a human knows its there, or howl at sirens that merely annoy us, hide under the couch before we even know the storm has arrived...etc.

If you ever have the chance to go to the Exploratorium in San Francisco, they have an "Earthquake Experience", where you stand on a "floor" and feel different levels of seismic activity, and the sounds that go with it. It can be REALLY loud! It is the earth getting broken and torn, after all.

Typically, and definitely in this case, it was a small earthquake and we're far enough away from the epicenter that we got the "small" ripples, like you would see at the edges of the pond from that dropped pebble, so we don't get the noticeable level of noise that you would hear closer to the epicenter or if it were a "major" earthquake.
Making a note . . . will definitely go to the Exploratorium next trip to San Francisco. Haven't been in a decade! Hope it won't be long b/f I head out that way.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
No, I was driving at that time....did not feel/see a thing

Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
No, I was driving at that time....did not feel/see a thing
Well, shoot. Surely I was not the only person in CLT to be up and at home. It was very gentle and I think most folks would not have even noticed it. I have been tracking earthquake activity since I got online in late 93, wh/ was not long before the Northridge earthquake hit in the Los Angeles area. So I notice such things.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
Probably since it was at the coast and only a 3.2 magnitude, it did not reach all the way up here to University City. But, I was driving DS to church (he does set up and has to be there at 6.30)...so, actually, I was probably on my way back home at that time, but, one would think that there would be stop lights swaying or something.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Probably since it was at the coast and only a 3.2 magnitude, it did not reach all the way up here to University City. But, I was driving DS to church (he does set up and has to be there at 6.30)...so, actually, I was probably on my way back home at that time, but, one would think that there would be stop lights swaying or something.
On the USGS site, folks all the way into VA and W VA felt it.

I had a bottle of water on my desk and after the slight shaking stopped, I thought - what the heck? And then I realized it could have been an earthquake, so I glanced at my bottle of water - and sure enuff - the water was still settling down. So it was gentle, but yes, it was visible. I think it would take a whole lot to make stop lights swing, lol. This was like someone would stand behind a chair and just gently "jiggle" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte