Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
^I have never seen a furnace that specs twice a year filter changing. it should be done every 30 days. If you follow this, the interior coils will not need to be cleaned for a long time. Likewise, modern motors are sealed and don't need to be oiled. Maybe they exist, but if you do it to a motor that doesn't need it, you can damage it.

Amazing that you want people to learn to add freon but think that you need service to come out and spray off your compressor unit. Adding freon is the one time when you DO call in service because they will need to do a pressure check to make sure this is what needs to be fixed. I am willing to bet that most people don't have this equipment. Adding freon to a full unit can cause major problems.
I worded my post poorly. I ment to say that changing filters as often as required and that cleaning off the cooling/evaporator fins was something a homeower could learn to do. Only someone with guages etc should ever try to add freon. That isnt for anyone but a trained tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
If you unit(s) are less than 10 years old, I don't see what they can do for you except to charge you money. Older than that, it's worth having your heat exchanger checked for cracking if you have gas heat. You only need this once/year.

Otherwise, if it is heating and cooling to your satisfaction, there isn't any maintenance you can do except to keep the filters changed, and keep the outside compressor unit clean and clear of vegetation. It's worth doing a visual check once/year to make sure the exhaust pipe is OK and you don't see anything like leaking water. I recommend the cheapest filters you can get but change them every 30 days or less when they are being used.
Mega ohm baseline so you know the condition of your windings in your compressor from day one, voltage drop across the contactor, capacitance test, clean the coils, check the refrigerant circuit for blockages, system performance, electric motor (compressor and fan motors), airflow check, squirrel cage and blades check and clean as necessary, older systems may require the fan motors be lubricated, it will say it on the motor (20 weight non-detergent oil), piping insulation check and replace as necessary, clean the bottom of the condenser to keep debris from building up in it so it properly drains, making sure outdoor unit is always level, clean condensate drains, check line voltage for voltage dips (screws need tightening and making sure the connections are clean and in full contact..etc.).

You should be careful what you recommend to people if you're not exactly sure what can happen or can't.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 09-01-2009 at 06:33 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Is this a fact or conjecture? Wouldnt it depend on the make and model?
I don't know of any company that will stand by a 5-10 year warranty if you just "let it be". That doesn't mean some might not but most won't because all of the things I mentioned above give symptoms or prevent further damage. A chattering contactor can destroy a compressor if allowed to run long enough. Filter dryers can clog up and also do the same thing if just allowed to run haphazardly in a overheating condition.

To OP: If you get a maintenance program make sure you know exactly what you're paying for and make sure they do it every year. I know people sometimes like to just pay for something and not have to worry but would you do the same thing with your car? No, most people check tire pressure, change oil and go by the recommended maintenance provided to them in thier owners manual.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The main thing that this service does is to CLEAN THE CONDENSOR and evaporator so they will have a good flow of air through them. If you dont the system will be put under a strain and have to work harder, This can lead to the compressor overheating and you WILL PAY BIG BUCKS THEN..aLSO SOME MOTORS NEED TO BE OILED ,if not they will wear out sooner and more BIG bucks.....As far as freon you shouldnt ever need extra added unless you develope a leak. Shop for service or learn how to do this yourself. Its not that hard to do.As others said change the filters at least 2 times a year. Note that TRANE will NOT sell parts to the public but you can get any part you need from Dand L parts(monroe road and freedom drive much cheaper than Trane)
They can verify small leaks by using temperature probes and checking superheat and subcooling. The system is designed to run as if it was in like new condition. Anything outside of a like new condition and performance suffers. And as you said the motor can overheat which, if any moisture is in the system, will help speed up the process of acid forming in the refrigerant circuit. There should not be any moisture in the system but were you standing over the techs shoulder making sure when they pulled a vacuum it was under and held <1000 microns. Most people don't even know what a micron is in terms of the evacuation process.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
^I have never seen a furnace that specs twice a year filter changing. it should be done every 30 days. If you follow this, the interior coils will not need to be cleaned for a long time. Likewise, modern motors are sealed and don't need to be oiled. Maybe they exist, but if you do it to a motor that doesn't need it, you can damage it.

Amazing that you want people to learn to add freon but think that you need service to come out and spray off your compressor unit. Adding freon is the one time when you DO call in service because they will need to do a pressure check to make sure this is what needs to be fixed. I am willing to bet that most people don't have this equipment. Adding freon to a full unit can cause major problems.
And to add losing airflow over the furnace increases the temp. rise across the heat exchanger which, in general, kills them.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Thanks BigJon.

Do you know how much I should pay to have this maintenance service done?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 AM

It varies from state to state and company to company so I really can't give you a baseline. If they have a competent tech. come out and they do the majority of what I posted earlier I would pay $100 or maybe a bit more at least once a year if not twice.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

You should be careful what you recommend to people if you're not exactly sure what can happen or can't.
I am of the opinion that your advice is way overkill and wasteful of good money but if give one a feeling of goodness, there is nothing wrong with that. It's their money. However I stand by what I said as for most its a big waste of money as these units don't need anymore than I recommend, especially IF they are less than 10 years old as I specified.

Keep the filters changed, keep the outside unit clean and clear of shrubs, etc, look it over once/year, that is it. If you are living in an ancient home with a and old old system that is a different manner, but one more time, this is if you have a modern unit.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM

You obviously have no idea of the stipulations of a warranty coming from an HVAC/R company and the mfg's, you should try reading the owners manuals. The advice you provide is going to leave someone or more than someone up **** creek without a paddle.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
My $.02 would be that it is worth it. I have Anderson Htg and Air they charge about $180 for 2 preventative maintenance visits per year. They have very competent techs come out and perform normal service, they even will clean my filters out for me (they're the kind that you don't throw away)

I figure it this way, I change my cars oil every 5,000miles and perform preventative maintenance on it regularly. You Htg & Air unit pretty much works all year round 24 hours a day and it needs to be maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte