Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 75,518 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your advice. Best wishes to you all. I've been definitely slowing down, and am now looking for good lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times
Don't speed up. Drive under the speed limit. You could've kill some one.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Can someone provide a source that this guy will lose his license?

In the below link it says you have to accumulate 12 points in 3 years to possibly get a suspended license.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 3

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Just slow down that's all.
Don't have time to look it up but I believe you will find anything over 15 mph of the speed limit can get you a suspension on the spot, if the cop wants to do it. I have never heard of that happening, but I believe that is correct. 15 mph over the speed limit is a problem.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 PM

14 posts, read 75,518 times
Just an update on the situation. I hired a law firm - thanks to mullman. A bit more peace of mind, and now silently cheering the law firm.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Edited to add: And slow down!!! Really! Have you lived here long? I just have to ask, cause I would think you would have figured out where not to speed if you have lived here a while.

Exactly! Figure out the proper spots where to break the law already!!!!!

hehe....

Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Google NCDOT .There are several sites that tell all about what happins if you go 15 mph or more over the limit.VERY EASY TO FIND. Any lawyer can have your case put off for as long as you pay him but once it goes to court and you are found guilty THATS when the loss of driving for you starts, Best to get it over with and you can be driving sooner.PS The cops dont have to have any proof of your speeding. Their opinion is all the judge may require.lawyer or no lawyer .Ive seen it happin.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Edited to add: And slow down!!! Really! Have you lived here long? I just have to ask, cause I would think you would have figured out where not to speed if you have lived here a while.
Sing it. Sorry to the OP; almost all of us get a ticket once in a while, but two so close together? It appears you didn't learn your lesson and personally I don't have a lot of sympathy. Did you just move here from somewhere people speed all the time? It's hard for me to say "I hope you get out of the tickets" because actually, I don't.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:44 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Can someone provide a source that this guy will lose his license?
From the NC General Statutes - Chapter 20

§ 20‑16.1. Mandatory suspension of driver's license upon conviction of excessive speeding; limited driving permits for first offenders.
(a) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Article, the Division shall suspend for a period of 30 days the license of any driver without preliminary hearing on receiving a record of the driver's conviction of either (i) exceeding by more than 15 miles per hour the speed limit, either within or outside the corporate limits of a municipality, if the person was also driving at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour at the time of the offense, or (ii) driving at a speed in excess of 80 miles per hour at the time of the offense.
Furthermore if you read this long chapter, one finds that if this type of violation occurs within 1 year of a similar violation (the other speeding ticket) the term is a 60 day suspension. This is what the NCDOT will do. The Judge is also free to take additional actions if there is a reason.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:47 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,098 times
I always tell people to drive at most 10 mph over the speed limit. Why is that? Well, the design speed of the roadways are 10 mph more than the posted speed limits. Why don't people know this.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Well, we have spanked OP enuff, lol!!!

I love driving on the autobahn when I am behind the wheel of a high performance vehicle, so I don't want to be hypocritical about my love of driving fast. However, that is in Germany, with a BMW, Benz or Porsche. I have had only one speeding ticket in 30 years - and that was near Cadiz, KY and I was NOT speeding, I SWEAR, lol. I got pulled over once in Nashville and the cop (god bless him!) didn't give me a ticket. I was going 52 in a 45, I believe.

My point is . . . you need to figure out what the patterns are here with driving and the speed limit. Some highways are just not safe at higher speeds b/c of the idiot drivers. I-85 around Gastonia up to the 485 exit is often dangerous - accidents are often there. Even if the traffic is moving along at 12 -14 mph over the speed limit - PLEASE be careful. There are really bad spots for repeat accidents all over the region. Just an example of one area where you get to know the patterns and you realize it is just foolish to drive too fast b/c folks are idiots along that stretch (don't know why, but that is my experience since moving back here in 2002).

Maybe I will start a thread on areas around the metro that are known repeat accident spots. It would be great if everyone would rate their "worst spots" or "most likely to be hazardous" areas on highways here.

Anyway - glad you found a good attorney - he/she will be your best friend and can work this out for you. I am sure after this, you will be more conscious of your speed. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: