Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

graphic images

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGE8LzRaySk

YouTube - PSA: Texting While Driving

Charlotte roads with all the curves traffic and pot holes.
we need to be safe
If the text alert goes off.
wait til it can be done safely to respond

It is against the law in north carolina

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-30-2009 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
I saw an story about that first video from Wales a couple of months ago. They said it was too strong to show to American kids. That part I don't understand as it would seem to drive the message home.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Sunny - I can hardly text accurately sitting very still, lol. I don't understand why anyone would even attempt to text while driving! I was shocked to find out how many folks text and drive. That is just absurd!

Thanks for the reminder.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
Today I saw a man driving in Uptown at 5:15 pm, using his left hand to hold a phone to his ear and his right hand had a Blackberry in it!! Those drivers are why I stand as far back on the sidewalk as possible while waiting for the bus - it isn't just other motorists who are put at risk by this stupid behavior.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I know the left hand keys are hard hehe If my phone rings or text alert goes off It can wait
I text my partner alot but if I know they will be on the road Ill wait

Your right that first video sends the message ma that was sad and good reminder

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
All of that should be outlawed , phone , text , while driving.
With 25 to life mandatory if caught.
Death if caught twice.
That , too would 'drive' it home!!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
What would really drive it home is more mass transit in this town so folks can read, text, sleep, whatever while they commute. Driving is sooooo old school IMO. lol

Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Yeah , it is , but what is one to do when they wish to travel somewhere where the system doesn't go? I can't see myself walking 50 miles one way when I wish to get away from it all. The longest distance I've ever walked is 30 miles one way , and even then it took 13 hours , so I believe I'll stick to my car. Now maybe when they get a real system in place , I'll give it a go. I can't help it , but after riding the bus for years , I feel free to 'get up and go' wherever and whenever I so desire.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Its clear that the general public needs the same system on their cars that is used on more and more big trucks.. The trucks can receive audio only and a computer will not let then text or dial or press cell phone buttons or operate a computer while the truck is moving. The computer can even slow the truck down so the driver will have to stop if the truck has been operated over the set hours allowed. Cars should at least have a jammer that prevents texting/computer use or non hands free cells while the car is moving. More and more police are starting to check the cell phones of people having wrecks now. People on the phone when the wreck occured are charged....Its coming

Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Its clear that the general public needs the same system on their cars that is used on more and more big trucks.. The trucks can receive audio only and a computer will not let then text or dial or press cell phone buttons or operate a computer while the truck is moving. The computer can even slow the truck down so the driver will have to stop if the truck has been operated over the set hours allowed. Cars should at least have a jammer that prevents texting/computer use or non hands free cells while the car is moving. More and more police are starting to check the cell phones of people having wrecks now. People on the phone when the wreck occured are charged....Its coming

Woooooaaaa there, Chief. You are not thinking this through.

I don't need the gubment jamming my signals or making it impossible for PASSENGERS in my vehicle to do whatever they wish while traveling with me.

I often drive so my hubby can conduct business . . . and vice versa.

In addition, I must voice my objection to everything being shifted to the government as a regulation instead of being the province of personal responsibility.

It is the same as drinking while driving. TEXTING IMPAIRS THE ABILITY TO FUNCTION FULLY AS A DRIVER.

Tickets for DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED should be issued to anyone caught texting - Plain and Simple!!! It is an impairment.

But don't block my passengers' ability to use texting/email, etc while riding with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte