Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,907 times

Advertisements

There are soooo many negative posts about all the builders in the area, I think it can be very discouraging to buyers.
How about a thread where you can post something POSITIVE about a builder and not have someone come in and dispute it and post a negative!
You don't have to agree with any posts here, just respect the person's right to post it.
We all know there are good and bad with all.We've heard the bad. Now let's just hear the good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:00 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,215 times
HiNewToCharlotte , since no one has answered, I will have the pleasure to be the first. This is a great thread, most people always remember the bad versus the good. No builder is perfect. I always write about how much I like Saussy Burbank's homes, the quality, the curb appeal, how they pay attention to the overall community by putting parks etc. They totally have a point of viewand people who can appreciate that style of home gravitate towards them. Highly recommend them.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
I love MI's floorplans and how flexible they are to change plans and make it custom. I love the fact that I can change my mind on things a million times and they are just as curteous to me as the first time I stepped into their office. I don't know construction but my husband does and says he was very surprised at what he saw he was expecting the worst and was very impressed. I also like that the home includes many upgrades as standards. If all continues to go well we will be in, in a few months. Hopefully I will still feel the same.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,632 times
To be honest I do not know of anyone in my family or circle of friends or coworkers that has not had a difficult time with builders in Charlotte or other areas. Looking at the news and internet it easy to see that many builders just don't care about the customer or additional business as they complete a project and move to the next. From the people that I have talked to it appears that most are having more trouble now then ever to get repairs completed after the sale. To paint a rosey picture for new comers I think would be dishonest and just perpetuates the problem.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:57 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,215 times
Duke it is not about painting a "rosey picture" to newcomers. Most people know life is not a "bed of roses". I think the intention of the original poster was to just try to have at least one thread where a little positivity was also shared. That way people can search for both the good and the bad information about a particular builder. Thus helping in making their own conclusion on that company. Also people should also check with the better business bureau and research since it's one of the biggest purchase people will ever make.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 AM

85 posts, read 362,443 times
What a great opportunity for newcomers to the area!!! The really 'Big' Boom in our area snowballed in the late 90's and that's when anyone with a pickup truck and a ladder was qualified to help build a home in Charlotte! The construction boom really tapped out the highly qualified 'artisans' in the area and unfortunately some builders were forced to hire some of the 'less qualified'. It was an evil that had to be tolerated due to demand. Guess what happened?? Some builders went under, while others held on to their business by demanding only the best from their staff of Superintendants and subcontractors.
Here's the cool part.....the market is coming around to realize quality workmanship is demanded and lesser standards will not be tolerated. The results of which are displayed on many forums just like this one.
The unqualified workers of the late 90's are now very good at what they do and the 'artisans' from that era are now Superintendants! It's all good and it continues to get better. Word of mouth is the best advertising a company can have......nothing better than a "raving fan"! On the other side, there is also nothing worse than an unhappy client with a computer!! The new 'word of mouth'........

Old 05-03-2007, 05:07 AM

166 posts, read 790,255 times
We purchased from Saussy Burbank in Monteith Park. Except for a few minor problems the building process went fine. The project manager made sure any problems we found on our walk through were corrected within days of our closing. Their service department so far has been great. Anything that we missed during our walk through they came back and fixed within days of our call. Except for their sales department I'm very happy with our home. Thats on another thread I posted so I'm not going to go into that here. So the bottom line is if your thinking about a Saussy Burbank home in Monteith I would give you a positive answer if you stopped me on the street and asked the question.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:21 AM

876 posts, read 3,794,149 times
We had a custom home builder build our house in Sherrills Ford. We sit up overlooking Lake Norman which is in front of our house. We used Mid-Atlantic Custom Home Builders. Although Ray (the builder) has a bit of a temper, he has come through on ANY problems we had during the build and resolved them immediately. Since closing, we have not had any structural problems, no "nail pops", or anything of that nature. The smaller issues we did have during our "punch list" were immediately taken care of.

To be quite honest, if we were building all over again, I would still use him. I don't care for his real estate representative (Wendy Ward from Keller Williams "The Family Matters Team") because she was rather hasty with us and made several errors on our selections list that we ended up having to argue to get resolved. It was obviously not the builders fault, just hers.

We chose a Frank Betz plan called "The Marlin." The builder had a modified version of this plan that extended it to a 3 car garage and added a really nice 18x24 home theater with a walk-behind 8x8 bar. Total footage was 4041 heated. Really pleased.

Anyhow, if anyone is looking to have a custom home built, PM me for a reference. I really am happy with everything so far!

Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM

6 posts, read 12,587 times
We bought a Saussy Burbank home in Gilead Village and had no problems during the building process. Barbara in the sales office was great and the house has been great. We have been very happy with Saussy Burbank.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
We're very pleased with our house from Brookwood Homes. The level of detail both inside and out is rather unexpected considering the price range. The construction foreman, Mark, actually had his crew build a series of retaining walls, when in reality that could've been left up to either the site developer or the homeowners to deal with. Nothing has gone wrong in five years. We're looking to possibly buy another Brookwood home in another development (see my post related to that topic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte