Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:27 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I am beginning to think you are screwing around with this thread.

I don't have time to "screw around" (whatever that means). And the last 6-7 posts to my OP have really convienced me, from the horse's mouth,(s) how bad the situation is.

Now, what is it you would like to add to the thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
These are some real life examples of how extremely hard it is to find work here. This thread should become a sticky for the new people who search this forum looking for job answers...

just my 2 sense....

Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
The current min. wage is $7.25 so $10 -$13 isn't horrible. Many retail workers make much less.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
These are some real life examples of how extremely hard it is to find work here. This thread should become a sticky for the new people who search this forum looking for job answers...

just my 2 sense....
Thanks Jack and that was the real intent of my OP-- to hear it straight away, not from just the newspapers.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Thanks Jack and that was the real intent of my OP-- to hear it straight away, not from just the newspapers.
So the intent of your starting this thread is to 'hear how hard it is around here' and you claim to live in a car? You really needed to hear this. Why don't you sell your computer and buy some gas to drive around and find a job?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
I personally appreciate that our forum members have taken the time to share their firsthand knowledge on this thread. It is a tough time all over this country but many folks (it appears from posts we have seen on the forum) still believe that somehow it is easier to land a job here in CLT than in most areas of the country. Of course, each situation is different! But we often hear folks say - "well, I might not be able to land a job in my actual field, but I can always get by w/ a low paying job for a while - in retail or in food service."

When we try to explain that NO - these jobs are not plentiful - people then say we are unwelcoming (or we are negative or we hate newcomers, ad infinitum).

For those of us who have been out of work for a year or longer and are willing to work for a low wage - and STILL haven't been able to land a job . . . it is very helpful to hear that these jobs are being sought out by literally thousands of folks. People having a hard time finding any type of work need to know - it isn't just them! Jobs for $10/hr are competitive. Time everyone acknowledged this and got real about the job situation in our region.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
So the intent of your starting this thread is to 'hear how hard it is around here' and you claim to live in a car? You really needed to hear this. Why don't you sell your computer and buy some gas to drive around and find a job?
Pink Caddy doesn't live in his car - he has an acquaintance, tho, who has lost an apartment and was living in her car. I believe Pink does not live here fulltime (that is what I got from an early post - he/she just visits here on business every few weeks, I think).

Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Vin---get hold of yourself. I don't live in a car I live in a cardboard box under the hiway overpass. BTW I need my computer for the weather reports. Really need to know when I can take the roof off of my abode. You know, like the superdomes that all you rich folks go to.

Life is good when you can laugh!and man am I laughing now.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Not an awful lot of money by any means, not enough to pay for some basics, I understand. Really just enough to feed the family I would think.
You can live fine on $10 an hour. My wife and I lived on $7 and hour (me) and waitress tips (her) when we were in college. We lived in a 400 sq ft rat hole and had nothing, just money for food and gas.
You can live fine on little money if your priorities are right. Unfortunately, most people who make low wages think they are entitled to a big screen TV, new car, and nice home. Remember, life is all about choices.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
Quote:
Dude, You know, you're always criticizing Lumbollo for reading comprehension. Why don't you re-read the thread? Pink Caddy doesn't live in a car. And what the heck was your point about screwing around w/this thread?

Did you start drinking early on a friday or what....??? I mean really....

Last edited by CouponJack; 10-30-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte