Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

If BofA moves their headquarters, it won't have a thing to do w/ government intervention. It will be b/c that is what they feel is the best business decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM

94 posts, read 251,886 times
Maybe I misunderstood, but I heard on the news 100-200 employees would be effected. My understanding is that one of the divisions (possibly operations) may be effected or some of the executives that will work directly with the new CEO have to be close to headquarters. If that is the case I don't think Charlotte will be "greatly" effected. It wouldn't be cost effective for them to move the whole operation to NY,

Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Here you go again with your "convenient" made up units of measurement. WTH is the "Fortune 10". Nobody says that. And why are only the top 20 in employment significant? The fact is, "within the past 30+ years", there are several Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies that have moved significant operations here. For example...
IBM built a complex that housed 8000 employees and had more sq/footage than all the sq/footage than in downtown Charlotte at the time. US Airways did not establish a hub here. Piedmont airlines did and it was not a Fortune 10 company. It was only after USAir forced them into a buyout they started to "reduce" employment in Charlotte. Lowes new HQ is located in Mooresville, not Charlotte which is located in Iredell county. Same for Freighliner. Compass group is another homegrown company called Carolina Canteen that has seen similar losses since the take over. Oh well I am tired of typing so I won't go further than this.

The list goes on. I stand by what I said and the only thing you have proven Carolina Blue, is that you are obsessed with me, and that you know how to pull up incomplete stats on Google. Here's a tip for you: The Charlotte Chamber of Commerce does not report bad news. LOL

Edit: BTW the topic is about BofA.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If BofA moves their headquarters, it won't have a thing to do w/ government intervention. It will be b/c that is what they feel is the best business decision.
^^^^^Exactly. Although I think the chances are 98% that large numbers of ppl. will not be moved I would be troubled about the 2% chance for the following reasons:
1) The UE numbers for NYC are not good either,especially in finance and banking.
2) Mayor Bloomberg just got re-elected. Now, what two businesses is he in? A) Mayor of NY with weak number in the financial sector
and has the ability to write just about any deal he wants to improve this sector and
B) Back to Bloomberg Financial when he's done with this term.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:26 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
IBM built a complex that housed 8000 employees and had more sq/footage than all the sq/footage than in downtown Charlotte at the time. US Airways did not establish a hub here. Piedmont airlines did and it was not a Fortune 10 company. It was only after USAir forced them into a buyout they started to "reduce" employment in Charlotte. Lowes new HQ is located in Mooresville, not Charlotte which is located in Iredell county. Same for Freighliner. Compass group is another homegrown company called Carolina Canteen that has seen similar losses since the take over. Oh well I am tired of typing so I won't go further than this.

The list goes on. I stand by what I said and the only thing you have proven Carolina Blue, is that you are obsessed with me, and that you know how to pull up incomplete stats on Google. Here's a tip for you: The Charlotte Chamber of Commerce does not report bad news. LOL
IBM cut several operations, not just Charlotte, including RDU. US Airways "did" establish a hub here, contrary to what you've said. Loew's headquarters is in the Charlotte CMSA and employes thousands from the Charlotte area...same with Freighliner. Compass' parent is based overseas, similar to US Air they've grown "since" the mergers you're referencing.

You can slice and dice the facts all you want, such as referencing a "Fortune 10", but that doesn't dilute the fact that all these companies, within the past 30 years, set up major operations here. That's the point the other poster was making.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
IBM cut several operations, not just Charlotte, including RDU. US Airways "did" establish a hub here, contrary to what you've said. Loew's headquarters is in the Charlotte CMSA and employes thousands from the Charlotte area...same with Freighliner. Compass' parent is based overseas, similar to US Air they've grown "since" the mergers you're referencing.

You can slice and dice the facts all you want, such as referencing a "Fortune 10", but that doesn't dilute the fact that all these companies, within the past 30 years, set up major operations here. That's the point the other poster was making.
I am not slicing and dicing facts. Ignoring the fact that you are simply wrong about USAir as it was Piedmont Airlines that started the hub here in Charlotte in 1982, the rest don't have anything to do with what i posted. I recommend that you re-read my post concerning IBM and take a few minutes to sit down and try to comprehend it. I have you on ignore and made the mistake of clicking on your post to see what you have posted. I see that I wasted my time in doing so.

One more time, the the topic is about BofA. Do you actually have anything to say about that?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I am not slicing and dicing facts. Ignoring the fact that you are simply wrong about USAir as it was Piedmont Airlines that started the hub here in Charlotte in 1982, the rest don't have anything to do with what i posted. I recommend that you re-read my post concerning IBM and take a few minutes to sit down and try to comprehend it. I have you on ignore and made the mistake of clicking on your post to see what you have posted. I see that I wasted my time in doing so.

One more time, the the topic is about BofA. Do you actually have anything to say about that?
This debate is relevant to the discussion. Sweet_T03 said the following, "Our city was not what it is today 10 or so years ago and we can thank the large businesses that decided to move here for that."... To which you came behind stating, "Oh no, that's not true, nobody's put anything here in 30 years". I proved your statement wrong by showing the "facts" I posted. You owe Sweet_T03 an apology. Unlike other posters, I will not be intimidated by your "bully tactics". If you say something, be prepared to back it up. Everyone on the board seems to understand that but you.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
from the terms of service

Quote:
We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website.
violaters

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I am not slicing and dicing facts. Ignoring the fact that you are simply wrong about USAir as it was Piedmont Airlines that started the hub here in Charlotte in 1982...
Piedmont Airways was headquarted in Maryland. So if they established the hub in 1982, that's still a "non-Charlotte based" company who set up a major operation here within the past 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte